WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Any Validity Here?

wahmnephew
08-05-2012, 07:55 AM
I've only been a casual seller on eBay before but am now considering turning this into a business. I used to operate and run my own e-Commerce store but that focused on a specialized niche so I would be the big fish in the small pond so to speak.

In comparison the largest stores on auction sites tend to be the closeout sale stores or ones offering products in every category. These stores have been in the game for some time.

My question is, is niche marketing a viable way to still profit on eBay? I've actually read some books/articles that state in this stage, the only ones who will be able to pull a true livable income are those who have built up a reputation on eBay and the ones starting out at this point, will have a very difficult time establishing themselves.

I wonder if there is any validity in that argument.

Cheers!
Ryan

ybnegood
08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
But you have to do a lot of research and find the right products at the right price
go above and beyond for customer service, and watch every penny in expenses.
Because ebay charges sellers a fee against their shipping charges, you have to set shipping
to cover that fee and then a little extra to cover losses, but not be too much to scare away
customers.

I found a little item that has been quite popular for me, I import it directly in small quantities
I sell at a higher price than others that are from China and Hong Kong, but my fast shipping history
gets me lots of customers and repeat sales. To date I think I sold about 5,000 of these gadgets
Not a huge profit on every sale, but well worth my time.

spend some time finding out whats hot, and see if you can offer the same for less money, or
better service.

good luck to you
martin (ybgood on ebay)

melanciaa
08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I would agree with them Ryan but only to the extent that those with higher feedback ratings will have a better chance of selling more items. Think about how people search when they go to Ebay. They normally search a category such as computers then maybe laptops and see what is available. Where your product is positioned will make a difference as well as the price and description. Honestly, I believe that if you take the time now to find out what works your sales will begin to dictate when you should go full time.

I am melonmoney on ebay by the way but I am only a casual seller

StateLineBag
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I would say that every business has to start somewhere, but having some capital for marketing efforts and / or inventory is important.

If you have capital and put forth a huge effort, then anything is possible.

experience
12-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I found a little item that has been quite popular for me, I import it directly in small quantities
I sell at a higher price than others that are from China and Hong Kong, but my fast shipping history
gets me lots of customers and repeat sales. To date I think I sold about 5,000 of these gadgets
Not a huge profit on every sale, but well worth my time.

spend some time finding out whats hot, and see if you can offer the same for less money, or
better service.

good luck to you
martin (ybgood on ebay)

You have hit on one of the major problems affecting many sellers on ebay and other places too. Because so many sellers use dropshippers they are at the mercy of their suppliers when it comes to delivery times. Also, it often happens that suppliers have come to the end of their inventory and the first a seller knows about it is when they have processed a number of orders and the goods have not been delivered.

The result is a bad feedback history and we all know what that does to an online business.

Your idea of directly importing in small quantities so that you have an inventory on hand to allow you to give quick delivery is something that many should copy.

Your comment about pricing suggests to me that you may be buying through a wholesaler in China or HK rather than straight from the factory. There are many factories in those places that will supply small quantities at genuine ex-factory prices. I have been buying that way for years. Unfortunately being new on the forum I cannot give you contact details.

shellybelly
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
If you are a casual seller you already have some feedback and know how to list and ship. You are already leaps and bounds ahead of someone just starting out. The key is research, find out what you can sell for and what your profit will be after fees and supplies.

i think if you find a good seller you could go all the way but be somewhat diverse because things change and you have to have other options in case something tanks.

experience
12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
If you are a casual seller you already have some feedback and know how to list and ship. You are already leaps and bounds ahead of someone just starting out. The key is research, find out what you can sell for and what your profit will be after fees and supplies.

i think if you find a good seller you could go all the way but be somewhat diverse because things change and you have to have other options in case something tanks.

Shellybelly has a good point about doing your research. In my little book I emphasize the importance of research before you do anything else. Regarding profit, I feel sorry for so many sellers on eBay and other places because they think the profit margins they are getting are the best they can get. That is not the case if they are using wholesalers or dropshippers.

It is possible to import small quantities direct from the factory at VERY low prices if you know where to look. Beware of using sourcing websites without knowing what you are doing because there are many scammers using sites that in themselves may be reputable. My experience has taught me how to identify the good, the bad and the ugly.

Katie87
12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I've only been a casual seller on eBay before but am now considering turning this into a business. I used to operate and run my own e-Commerce store but that focused on a specialized niche so I would be the big fish in the small pond so to speak.

In comparison the largest stores on auction sites tend to be the closeout sale stores or ones offering products in every category. These stores have been in the game for some time.

My question is, is niche marketing a viable way to still profit on eBay? I've actually read some books/articles that state in this stage, the only ones who will be able to pull a true livable income are those who have built up a reputation on eBay and the ones starting out at this point, will have a very difficult time establishing themselves.

I wonder if there is any validity in that argument.

Cheers!
Ryan

Yes, I have sold niche type products on eBay before, I actually did quite well and was able to become a power seller. I started out as a casual seller, and that did help once I decided to start selling more often. (My difficulty lately has been finding another product to sale.)
Anyways, What I learned is the BIGGEST part of becoming a trusted eBay seller, which will get you more sales, is feedback.

Always keep customers happy, even when you get that one that is extremely hard to make happy, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it is still important. Any negative feedback effects your future sales in my opinion. You may lose a little on these situations, but its well worth it in the long run.

My advise would be to make an effort to ship quickly, have detailed listings, and compete with other sellers, if you can, on your price. OH and offer free shipping if you can.

Hope this helps!

experience
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi Katie 87,

You can find a mind boggling range of products to sell by looking at reliable direct from factory sourcing sites.

Many such sites are themselves reputable but some of the suppliers advertising on them are not. In my little e-book on importing direct from China I show which sites to use and how to ensure that you are dealing with genuine suppliers to buy small or large quantities at ex-factory prices. Unfortunately although my posts have all been genuinely helpful, I have not filled my post quota with "That was very interesting" type posts, so I am not allowed to advertise yet.

Don't let people discourage you. Importing is easy when you know how, and it does not require large amounts of money. You will be amazed when you discover the huge profit margins available compared to the measly profits when you dropship or buy from wholesalers.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1