WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

mankatogirl
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I saw an advertisement for Brown Cow English School. Here is there advertisment:

Dear online English language teachers, Brown Cow English is opening in 6 weeks! We are recruiting teachers now to work for us. We are only looking for university graduate NATIVE English language speakers with CELTA or TEFOL qualifications. Teachers will preferably be teaching online already. Availability is paramount. Unlike the majority of online English language schools we are UK based and owned. You will receive the perks of a physical UK English language school including pay rises for long term commitment to our school. We will support you with your teaching and help you to develop in your TEFL career. Basic pay starts at £11 an hour. Please contact us at [email protected] along with your CV and a recent photo if you are interested in joining the Brown Cow team. We look forward to meeting you!

But, I can find absolutely no traces of a web site or anything else related to this agency online. I did send in my CV but have yet to hear back from them. I don't know what to think! Input appreciated.

dawnlvn4jc
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Sounds interesting. I am not TEFOL Certified otherwise I would jump at it!

djunamod
08-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for posting this. I also tried searching for information but could find nothing but the ad you posted on ESLJobs. But that might be because they say they are opening in 6 weeks, so they might be brand spanking new.

A few things to consider:
- Since they say they are opening in 6 weeks, it's clear that they are a start-up company. There are a lot of online ESL companies that are start-ups lately and it is a risk to work with them. I usually like to look at companies that have at least a year track record, since you never know how they are going to pan out.
- Their ad is very vague. I would ask about the structure of their lessons and how tutors and students connect. While the pay looks great (about 17 US dollars an hour), it could be a situation where you are not given students. You put your profile on their website and a student may choose you or they may choose a million other tutors. In other words, you're not assigned students, so there's no guarantee of steady work.
- The ad seems to make a huge deal about availability being "paramount". What that says to me is that they want people to be very flexible with availability, so that might mean having to compromise in terms of times. In other words, getting work might depend on being willing to teach middle-of-the-night hours (US time) because the clients are in countries where there is a huge time difference.

I'm not saying that this company is a scam or that you shouldn't sign up with them. But just be aware that it might be as good as it sounds :-).

Djuna

mankatogirl
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I too do not have the TESOL certificate though I have taken all the classes that are suggested in the coursework. I will wait to see if I hear anything back.

My thought would be I could teach student from Asia in the a.m. and students from the UK in the afternoon hours. That would leave me the evenings for my family!

Will look for any information and will look to see if they go live soon!

SuzeeQue
08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I am not certified in TESOL, but I have certification in almost everything else! I may have to break down and get my certificate to open some more doors! I just need to look at it as an investment!