WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Losing 20 lbs or so

Gobza10102
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Yesterday My boss told me that if i wanted to come in an hour later twice a week so I could workout beforehand then that was totally fine. Twice a week isn't a lot though, and because of kids/school/everything else i don't have a lot of free time after work or in the mornings before my son goes to daycare. Does anyone know of any really effective workouts that would make a difference if only done twice a week for an hour?

wordygirl
07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
After trying to lose weight for over ten years, I have finally realized that there is no quick way to lose weight. I have lost 65 pounds and was stuck on a plateau for four weeks. I went on vacation last week & I walked on the beach for about an hour per day, just walking slowly picking up shells with my young daughter. When I got home I was three pounds lighter! And that was without seriously watching my diet too. Just add in a little more exercise than you are doing right now & the weight will come off.

Isagenix MarieElaineFit
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
You know what works with amazing results?? HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training!!!

You can get in a great workout a few times a week for results you can totally see after a few weeks - this is one option that works if you have a flight of stairs in your home - at least 10 steps.

Here's an example:

Run up (sprint) stairs and walk down fast for one full minute (medium intensity)
do as many burpees as you can for 30 seconds (maximum intensity)

Run up (sprint) stairs and walk down fast for one full minute (medium intensity)
Do one 1.5 minutes of a mixture of burpees and jumping jacks (or other) at moderate speed

Repeat this 5 times...

There are SO many variations of HIIT workouts to do at home, if you need other ideas feel free to send me a private message, - I love helping out! You can either invest in inexpensive workout equipment like kettlebells and handweights or you can sub out other things you have around the house - just let me know, I can give you some ideas, I just don't want to go on and on here! lol

Edited to Add: You won't need to work out for an hour, you'll just need to do HIIT for 20-30 minutes, two to three times a week. Couple that with a healthy diet and you're on your way to weight loss and a healthier YOU! :)

LorettaA
07-16-2012, 05:10 AM
I think the best exercise is the one you like enough to look forward to doing it. I've found Zumba to be a lot of fun in the past and I'm planning to start that up again soon. You may be able to find a local class or you can use the DVD's or video game.

If you find you are exercising and not loosing then you may want to check your body's pH level. I spent years exercising and trying to eat right and could not lose weight so it's not always about calories in/calories out.

Gobza10102
07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I need to find something I enjoy... I used to go running all the time but it's not super "fun"

I might try out Zumba with some friends. I think it would be easier if i had someone else to do it with, otherwise it's easy to stop going.

msuggitt
07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
You really might be surprised at what adding a hour of exercise 2x a week could do for the average American. It's hard for any of us to give you any real specific workouts without knowing way more about you and where you are now, if you are menopausal, your health baseline, your eating habits, your stress level, where you carry your weight, yadda yadda,......

Luckily most gyms have someone who can help you develop a specific routine to help you reach your goals. And getting a dog always helps both in getting us out of the house, and moving daily, but they are also great motivators. :)

Gobza10102
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I've started using the stairmaster for 20 minutes 3 times a week. I've actually lost 2 pounds so far! I read that stairs are the best type of cardio exercise, and it's better for my knees than running.

Supermomlb
07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Twice a week isn't much but it is better than nothing at all !

I would definitely not get too comfortable with not changing the eating habits though since losing weight is definitely gonna be about 80% or more nutrition.

And I find that shorter intense workouts are far better than 1 hour long workouts.

Right now I do Insanity Fast and Furious twice a week to replace some other workouts and I swear that 20 minutes is a killer! lol

LorettaA
07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Congrats on using the stairmaster Gobza10102. I'd hit the "Like' button but we don't have that here. ;)

I agree that nutrition is a big part of weight loss. I've lost 36 pounds and non of it was from exercise.

However, I do believe exercise is important. I have to get back in to working out but I do get some exercise just doing activities with my daughter.

momsbusy247
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Running is a good way to lose weight. You're lucky to have a nice boss.

Amee1
08-06-2012, 08:28 AM
If you dread your workout you won't stick to it. Get some good music and find some kind of exercise that you enjoy or at least don't hate.

Amee1
08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Oh, and eat and drink healthy. Cut out any pop and unhealthy snacks. I hate that part!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1