WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Camera's?

DebraFerrie
06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi.
I'm not a pro photographer nor do I want to be one. But I have a good eye and LOVE taking pics so I really need to upgrade from my silly little canon powershot point and shoot and want something a bit better but EASY for me to understand and use. ( I had a rebel at one point years ago and couldn't figure a thing!)
Any recommendations or do I have to take training to understand the whole thing?
I really like pics that focus on a subject and the background blurs and want to learn how to do more of them
Thanks

AndrewW
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Maybe you could try out some cameras in a store and see what works best for you?

You can also usually download the manual for a camera and look through it to see if you understand it ok.

For the blurry background / sharp subject that's just a matter of adjusting the aperature which on camers that allow this usually it's just setting the camera into aperature priority mode (A on the dial) and then adjusting the aperature.

lorah
06-29-2012, 06:19 AM
I have a Rebel G and a Rebel XS ands I love them. I am still learning, but I find them pretty easy, especially in auto mode.

TommyH
06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi.
I'm not a pro photographer nor do I want to be one. But I have a good eye and LOVE taking pics so I really need to upgrade from my silly little canon powershot point and shoot and want something a bit better but EASY for me to understand and use. ( I had a rebel at one point years ago and couldn't figure a thing!)
Any recommendations or do I have to take training to understand the whole thing?
I really like pics that focus on a subject and the background blurs and want to learn how to do more of them
Thanks

Most DSLR cameras like the rebel you had will be the same. Each will have it's own little tweaks or features but will function the same. Like Andrew said starting with the manual is one of the best places to start with now a days. The manuals are built like little how to with all the settings and features of the camera you purchase.

If you want to take a course I recommend searching for "John Greengo" he just did a free course on CreativeLive (usually does one on fundamentals of photography once a year for free there). It has been the best and even though I have been shooting for several years I learned some new things. His slides he has are amazing at explaining things.

You can download the workshop for 149.00 and I honestly believe it is well worth that price. Maybe Andrew can give his opinion as I know he watched some of the course back in April. Here is the link Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2012 with John Greengo | creativeLIVE (http://www.creativelive.com/courses/digitalphotography). He also does great courses on specific cameras.

Finally the blurred background and sharp subject if you google "bokeh" that will give you more tips on that. But it is all about the aperture being wide open (smallest number for aperture setting).

AndrewW
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
You can download the workshop for 149.00 and I honestly believe it is well worth that price. Maybe Andrew can give his opinion as I know he watched some of the course back in April. Here is the link Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2012 with John Greengo | creativeLIVE (http://www.creativelive.com/courses/digitalphotography). He also does great courses on specific cameras.

Watched the whole thing. I can agree there was a lot of good information in it. For the price you get a lot more then you would with a lot of courses.

needwrk
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree. I bought the course and even though I have studied photography before and I can say I learnt a lot!
As for camera... the most basic SLR would work for you.. Use it in the A mode with a large aperture and you should get blurry background with a sharp subject..... but if you learn about it you can do so much more!! have fun!!

lareitman
09-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't get paid like a professional, but have taken a few courses so I think my work may qualify as professional grade.

Here's a tip that always helped me with aperture and the blurry background you are talking about...
To have something up close in focus and the background out of focus, you want a low aperture number like f4.0 or 5.6.

To see in the distance.. like the mountains, you want the aperture to be a high number like f/16 or f/22.
The way that I remember this to say "See all the way through with f/22." (meaning foreground to background.)
As for cameras, I have thoughts on both Canon, Nikon and Sony.
Feel free to PM me and I will let you know my opinions..

dray
10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
most camera's that are better than a point and shoot are going to be SLR's, like your rebel. unfortunately they're all mostly the same and will take some learning to get the shots you want. i have a canon 30d and love it, it's a step up from the rebel, but the rebels are a little easier on the wallet. you don't need to take a class, but it wouldn't hurt. i'd say the best thing you can do if you want to take good pictures is use MANUAL mode all the time, using auto or most other settings is going to net the same results as your point and shoot. learn how to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually then shoot everything! the only way to get good at something is practice.

AndrewW
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
most camera's that are better than a point and shoot are going to be SLR's, like your rebel. unfortunately they're all mostly the same and will take some learning to get the shots you want. i have a canon 30d and love it, it's a step up from the rebel, but the rebels are a little easier on the wallet. you don't need to take a class, but it wouldn't hurt. i'd say the best thing you can do if you want to take good pictures is use MANUAL mode all the time, using auto or most other settings is going to net the same results as your point and shoot. learn how to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually then shoot everything! the only way to get good at something is practice.

Depends on what you are going for. If you simply want to set the depth of field for example, you can use aperature priority.

Tasendia
10-30-2012, 04:36 AM
I have a Nikon D80 and I find that easy to use.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1