WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Does anyone sell books online?

loriwill
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
I was a little surprised to see there isn't much on here about selling books online. Amazon was the company I had in mind. So i did a search on Craigslist and saw some local students selling books some with the ISBN posted and compared them with the lowest used books rates on Amazon and was surprised that some of the books appeared to be going for more than twice as much as the sellers on craigslist were selling for. I think I can find quality books to sell i guess my issue is how to get ppl to want to do business with me if i have no reviews and how to get reviews if i have no sales..:D
right now i'm just exploring all possible avenues to generate money

danasurvey
06-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I sold some old text books and other books I didn't need on eBay. But not sure if that really counts.

smw2003
06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I have sold on Amazon, Ebay, Half.com and to individual book sites (bookscouter.com). If your books are fairly new (a few years old-but it doesn't hurt to check any book in good condition with an ISBN) and you want quick cash but not as much check out bookcouter.com. If you have books that are worth alot of money I would suggest Ebay or if they dont have ISBN #s. Amazon and Half take longer unless you are really lucky but if you have space and remember to check the accounts/email for orders they are great, but you do have to pay fees like with Ebay, but only when sold.

I tried FBA-Fullfilment by Amazon where you ship your books to them to store and ship for a fee. My first mistake was I didn't read carefully enough before I priced my first batch. You have to price your books high enough to cover Amazon fees, shipping and still make a profit. I forgot about the shipping and sent some pbs so I lost money at first. I still have some there and sell once in a while but I have goen back to listing and selling my own. The books I have there-I would either have to pay to have Amazon pull them and ship them back to me, or give them up for free. Since I have less then 100 and am breaking even, I have just left them.

As with everything now days, you are suppossed to submit sales tax and pay Income tax and even have a business lic if required in your area if you sell regularly.

Good Luck

Sandy

loriwill
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
thanks sandy like how you broke down the fulfillment part i was a little confused about how that worked so i stayed away from it and i will definitely check out the website. i posted 2 books that i just had laying around one is basically worthless(according to what it sells for on amazon) the other based on the lowest prices is at least twenty dollars. my biggest issue is getting someone to take a chance and order from me. should i reduce my price to half of what the lowest listed price to get customers? for that second book i'm already like the cheapest by five dollars listed at 19 i posted those two just to get a fill of how the system worked. I don't want to invest too much until i know i can make a profit.

loriwill
07-03-2012, 06:41 PM
ok so i sold my first book. went to the thrift store and bought 4 more looked them up when i got home i spent 3.75 and their collective value is probably 12.00 bulks after shipping cost. i saw a lady with her little scanner and asked if she was looking for books to sale and of course she was and i'm sure she came out better then me. if i want to get serious about this i need to be able to research the books value before i purchase too. anyone can recommend a scanner and pda or anyone having a lot of success with a smartphone?

switchtomomentis
07-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I had a family member who would sell some on ebay. They did ok. Certain books do better than others

lorah
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I know people who did really really well with this. They made a full time income. It took alot of time to list all the books and input all the info that was needed but they swore that it was so worth it. Best of luck to you!

CammiB
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
ok so i sold my first book. went to the thrift store and bought 4 more looked them up when i got home i spent 3.75 and their collective value is probably 12.00 bulks after shipping cost. i saw a lady with her little scanner and asked if she was looking for books to sale and of course she was and i'm sure she came out better then me. if i want to get serious about this i need to be able to research the books value before i purchase too. anyone can recommend a scanner and pda or anyone having a lot of success with a smartphone?

My dh has a scanner app on his iphone that I have used a few times. I also have an eBay app on my phone and I can check completed listings and prices pretty easily. I mostly sell rare books, with no barcode.

Isagenix MarieElaineFit
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
So, what exactly does the scanner do? Does it just basically look up the ISBN number so you have an idea of what the book would go for?

If so, I should totally look into that!!!

loriwill
07-18-2012, 10:02 PM
yes. the scanner will scan the barcode so that you have an idea of what your profit will be before you purchase an item. you can also take pictures of an item depending on your software and it will give back the value. i have to say i just used my cellphone service and went online and just manually put the information in and checked the value of some items before i purchased them. i thought i had some winners but they aren't selling. so i don't think it's going to be worthwhile to put the money into it at least now until i see those items move

tkwood141
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I have lots of books but unfortunately everyone is going to Ebooks. :(

sarahdianna
08-09-2012, 03:33 AM
there are a lot of websites which offer selling and buying of textbook online. Even you can rent your book and get the money.

loriwill
08-09-2012, 06:05 AM
there are a lot of websites which offer selling and buying of textbook online. Even you can rent your book and get the money.

now that sounds interesting... need to look into it

loriwill
08-09-2012, 06:05 AM
I have lots of books but unfortunately everyone is going to Ebooks. :(

yeah i'm sure ebooks aren't helping any

Seagull
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
I sell books at half.com. I like this site bcz there is no limit how long you can keep your listing.

LilBlackDress
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I have sold a ton of books online over the years. After a while you get a feel for what to look for.

One thing to think about is how to contain your shippings costs. Penny sellers make their money from shipping. But they have to do an enormous volume to come out on top. Most sellers can't do that. So the key is to find the books that sell and ship as cheap as possible.

Here are some ideas....

1. Reuse mailers that are in good condition.
2 Visit a newspaper office and ask for the free end rolls to wrap the book in before putting in a mailer. (I would do this for pricey books).
3. Buy bubble mailers in bulk via eBay using retailers will just gobble up your bucks.
4. Always get delivery confirmation on pricey books. Unfortunately, some will claim they never got it.
5. Order free mails supplies from USPS and ship via USPS to get free delivery confirmation and slightly lower rates on priority mail.
6. Buy a cheap scale so you can guesstimate prices before setting fees.
7. On slow selling books, price a few pennies below the lowest price so yours gets sold first.
8. Look on other book sites for under valued books you can buy and resell. I use to buy and resell one title over and over until it was reprinted.
9. Never kick yourself for undervaluing...win some - lose some.

Hope this helps...

Mrsjessicawifeypoo
11-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I see people at the thrift stores when there are good sales. Check out non chain stores like local thrift stores to score some good deals and try to keep an open mind, if your just out to turn a profit think of books others might like not just ones that appeal to you. Thats something I am working on.

I am also just starting to sell books online, I've been using the book scouter app on my phone, I'm not too sure what you can use other wise if you dont have a smart phone :confused:

Good luck!!

Katie87
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I sell books online along with anything else i can get my hands on. I have been selling online for close to three years now, and i use eBay... but i only use Amazon for books. It takes awhile to make a sale when it comes to most books... but i've found amazon is the best place to sell books.

loriwill
11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
I see people at the thrift stores when there are good sales. Check out non chain stores like local thrift stores to score some good deals and try to keep an open mind, if your just out to turn a profit think of books others might like not just ones that appeal to you. Thats something I am working on.

I am also just starting to sell books online, I've been using the book scouter app on my phone, I'm not too sure what you can use other wise if you dont have a smart phone :confused:

Good luck!!

i don't have a smartphone but i can still get on the internet through my cellphone and i just go to amazon website and see what the lowest price is. I get mines from the thrift store. I haven't shopped in awhile though, i told myself that i wouldn't go back till the ones i have are sold. i would love to price low but the competitors with no shipping are killing me and i underestimated my shipping expenses when i bought some of the books. hows book scouter working out for you, i was really interested in it at one point (till i realized that i had to either get a smart phone or scanner) is it worth it? good luck to you and everyone that sales online.

ps-non chain thrift stores never crossed my mind

loriwill
11-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I sell books online along with anything else i can get my hands on. I have been selling online for close to three years now, and i use eBay... but i only use Amazon for books. It takes awhile to make a sale when it comes to most books... but i've found amazon is the best place to sell books.

Good to know i was thinking of switching over to ebay

pallavi259
08-31-2013, 02:09 AM
My friend sell books online via amazon.

bahmwahm
09-02-2013, 04:23 AM
i buy books online, but i dont sell books - i generally keep them!

Smudgekitty
09-30-2013, 08:52 AM
I sell almost exclusively through Amazon and I use the FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) service. The majority of what I sell is books but I also sell home decor, toys, puzzles, games, magazines, and sewing patterns.

I do pretty well and I like that the customer service is handled by Amazon.

SarahMi
10-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Used to go to book fairs, scan books ( got a book scanner ) and i did some good work at the time but decided to stop because i start getting huge stacks of books that I don't have place to keep them.

Not all books goes the next day, if you into this business, you better having a storage area that can handle it.

It was fun as it lasted :)

DaniF
10-06-2013, 10:02 AM
When I was in school, If I couldn't sell the book back to my school bookstore because they would be using a different edition for the next school year, then I would put them up online.

art_koff
10-24-2013, 04:10 AM
I sold my first book with Amazon "invent your retirement - Resources for the good life" and did not try any other website so far.

gregdavidson
11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I was a little surprised to see there isn't much on here about selling books online. Amazon was the company I had in mind. So i did a search on Craigslist and saw some local students selling books some with the ISBN posted and compared them with the lowest used books rates on Amazon and was surprised that some of the books appeared to be going for more than twice as much as the sellers on craigslist were selling for. I think I can find quality books to sell i guess my issue is how to get ppl to want to do business with me if i have no reviews and how to get reviews if i have no sales..:D

I hard that you can make a fortune by selling e-books on Amazon. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting. Most of the really successful sellers generated all of their customers by giving one or two of their ebooks away for free. The people who downloaded the free ones liked them so much that they bought their other ones that weren't free.

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 11:08 PM
I used Sell Us Your Books Online - Powell's Books (http://www.powells.com/sellonline/) to sell my old books. Visit the site.

DylanC
12-14-2013, 03:38 AM
Going to start selling on Amazon soon, hopefully. Heard that it is a fantastic platform.

Jannie
12-24-2013, 01:42 PM
To sell books on Amazon there are a few hoops and hurdles to go through. One of the worst is that many sellers offer books for around a buck and sometimes even free shipping. Who can compete with that?

Well, do some research and see that sometimes the ratings of these people are very low. You can come in there w/your book and have a higher rating and it would have a better chance of selling. People who are looking for your particular book will decide that yours is a better deal because your rating is better than the others.

Also, one person mentioned that having the right books to sell is key. For example, an autobiography on a not-so-common name may be one that sells. It did for me, and ended up getting around 40 bucks for a book. Not too bad as had only forked out around a buck for the book at a thrift store. But, one has to keep on the watch for this sort of book, and a person can go dizzy looking at rows of books in book stores for 'just the right ones' to sell. It can be hard, tedious work, in other words.

I have been selling books on true life stories about the holocaust and have been having some success doing that. But those that sell are usually ones that are hard to find. For example, one called "Into the Sewers" was one that sold for around 30-40 bucks. It's difficult to find and the one we had here was in excellent condition, price was what the buyer wanted to pay, etc.

Haven't sold too many books on Ebay yet, but will probably try doing that one of these days. Right now am concentrating more on antique photographs and other collectibles that seem to be in demand.

cmkfarmer
01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
I've sold on amazon and really bummed to see how much they take out. It really ends up being a very minimal income. Now if you sold a lot in bulk I can see this being worth it

cmkfarmer
01-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes, the Scanner app is wonderful!

Craftarella
01-31-2014, 07:12 AM
I have sold on both half.com and Amazon and, had a better experience with Half.com (ebay). Amazon took a BIG cut of the sale. Their sales were quicker than half.com, but I liked half.com better because, although my sales trickled in, I got to keep a larger portion of the sale. I also like half.com's library catalog: as you are listing your title an entire pre-made form pops up, already filled in for you. Easy peezy :)

Betty.cooper
02-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Yes I do agree with amazon, if you'll type in Google "selling books online" then you'll find lot of websites.

Mrs. Scriblz
02-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Hi,
My experience has been very good with Half.com (ebay). Listing with them is super-easy; just type in your title and their "catalog" fills in everything else related to your book (which can be considerable if you hand-type everything in :eek:). Also, I found Amazon keeps a much larger cut of your sale than does half.com.

worldfree512
02-22-2014, 07:04 AM
i also want to sell books online please tell me what do i do, i have many books in PDF format, how can i sold online.

coopermabelr
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I would recommend this book if you want selling online, you can search on amazon :
The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published: How to Write It, Sell It, and Market It
http://www.thebookdoctors.com/images/book.jpghttp://watchfree.me/25/w.pngThe book is split into three sections. The first, "Setting Up Shop," covers topics like the art of perfecting a pitch, writing a good book proposal, finding the right agent and submitting your book. "Taking Care of Business" is all about making a deal and the mechanics of actually getting your book into print, including a chapter on self publishing. "Getting the Word Out" helps authors create strong publicity and marketing plans and ultimately get their books into the hands of buyers. Each chapter is full of fascinating real-life examples and stories about other authors, along with sidebar topics ranging from "Making Amazon an Amazing Sales Outlet" to "10 Essential Rules for Being a Good Interviewee."

vivianpos
04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I sell some of my used books online through eBay and Amazon. I don't really make much money from it but it helps my seller ratings since I also sell other items.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1