WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

dasmaedchen
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi, everyone,

I'm sorry if I am echoing content from a previous thread. I'm sure I am. However, I would like to know about online tutoring or ESL opportunities.

I have about two years in as an online adjunct English professor but I have no ESL experience. I have six years of English specialty under my belt from intensive college courses. (I'm not sure if this is good nor bad.)

However, I grade, evaluate, message, chat, and correspond with students from all over on the virtual campus. Where could I be hired on as an ESL tutor?

I'm not looking for big bucks, but it has to be something where I'm not teaching for absolutely next to nothing. I'm willing to look into anything if you can give me some leads.

By the way, I've tried TutorABC. I passed everything perfectly but, in my supreme ignorance, I forgot to upload a video. So, I doubt I'll be snagging that job.

I have no ESL experience but I have TONS of English experience in grammar, mechanics, literature, and everything that goes hand in hand with that. I also took two years of French and am an intermediate German speaker. I can read Hiragana, a little Katakana and a few Kanji. I can also make up some Cyrillic. But, all of that is beside the point.

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction!

Thank you so much!

dasmaedchen

Thanks!

djunamod
06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
You just have to keep your eyes open in this forum and also on the web. A good website is ESLEmployment. They post a lot of WAH ESL jobs. No one is going to find a job for you - you really just have to find them and apply :D. There are several threads here where people talk about companies that are hiring, so you might want to poke around.

I'm in the same position as you are (no ESL experience, lots of college-level English teaching experience) and I've found that many companies will look at your resume if you have college teaching experience and a college degree and are a native English speaker. ESL teaching experience isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

Djuna

leanderson
06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
There is a company called Language Spirit - Learn Chinese Online-Languagespirit (http://www.languagespirit.com) that hires professionals to help Chinese people that need practice in conversational English. It can be challenging to get started but they are legit and if you can get a few regular clients built up, you can make a good living with them.

Good luck

LEAnderson

msuggitt
06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Big list of companies who hire online teaching related positions can be found here: Online Teaching Jobs (http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/education/tp/onlineteachingjobs.htm)- you'll have to weed through the ads, and through the entire 5 page list to narrow down any you may be qualified for.

I would then suggest making sure you have a wah resume (which is different than traditional resumes) - find out how by searching this site, through the stickies. This will certainly increase your odds.
Good Luck

smileychick
06-29-2012, 07:30 PM
One website that I know of, 2Smart Tutoring, hires Spanish tutors and they also said that they are wanting to offer more language subjects. They might be interested in hiring ESL tutors. Here is there website: 2smart-tutoring.com Best of Luck!