WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

HiItsBrian
06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Hey everybody, first post here!

I was wondering if there was someone who could recommend an online English school somewhere in Russia or India. The Korean schools are okay, but I'm on Eastern time, so...

Thanks, and have a great day!

Brian

:eek:

djunamod
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
There are 2 Russian-based schools that someone mentioned here a while back - Englishgrad and Englishdom. I don't know if they're hiring but I recall seeing ads on Indeed (I think) several months ago. The summer months tend to be slow for online ESL work. You can google the names and I think you'll pull up ads for them.

Djuna

HiItsBrian
06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Love it, thanks! I also looked today at Moxon English in Italy. The pay looks pretty good, but I'm having a hard time getting anyone to e-mail me back.

HiItsBrian
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
These are the ones I've found in the past few hours:

speak-easy.ru
engacademy.ru
nativetutors.com
cupofenglish.ru
yescompany.ru

Any more? Lots of info can be had on the forums at infoenglish.info but it really helps to speak Russian for that.

I'm still looking, will update when I have more!

HiItsBrian
06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I just heard back from engacademy.ru, talked to one of the directors there. He seems like a really cool guy, but he says things are really slow for the summer.

elinet.com is advertising on the ESL job boards at the moment. I don't know where they're based, but they're talking about $10 per 30 minute session, so that's pretty reasonable imo.

djunamod
06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
elinet.com is advertising on the ESL job boards at the moment. I don't know where they're based, but they're talking about $10 per 30 minute session, so that's pretty reasonable imo.

I checked their website and they seem to want a lot for an application - a copy of an ESL teacher certificate and a sample lesson plan?

Also, just from what I could find out poking around the website, students are not exactly assigned to tutors on a regular basis. It's more of a freelance thing where you post your profile, make it look attractive, and hope that students choose you over the zillions of others on the site with equal, better, or worse credentials.

There are many websites that take care of the traffic and payment end of things but allow freelance tutors to set their own rates rather than making them set a rate and take a small percentage of the profits (Myngle comes to mind). If I'm going to risk marketing myself as a private teacher/tutor, I would rather set my own rates and factor in the percentage that an online site will take than to have the rate dictated to me.

I'm not saying it's not a good company. It might be great. But it's just good to know what options are out there :D.

Djuna