WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Where to meet my first student?

ladysawfan
06-09-2012, 05:57 AM
I didn't see any forums for those of us who want to tutor near the home. so i thought i would ask here. where should i suggest i meet with my adult student of Excel? I am so excited i got my 1st student on Wyzant. But our library does not allow paying tutors, and I am not really set up at home to tutor (i didnt think i would get a response so soon!). she may just want to meet at her house and i suppose that's OK. i never had any problems with females when i was a housecleaner. on the other hand some of the men got nude or strange so i get anxious about going to houses.
Thanks for all your help in advance

djunamod
06-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Congrats on landing your first at-home student! I'm planning on going into private tutoring as well, but it's going to take some time to build that up.

To answer your question, does your town have a local university or college? If so, you might try the university library. Also, they might have a student center that you can go and sit down in.

If none of those work, a quiet cafe might be a great option as well.

Djuna

dawnlvn4jc
08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
When I did face to face tutoring overseas, I always went to their home. If you are tutoring children, it is the safest because the parents are right there. You can do your home for children as long as you stay in the Kitchen and have the parent stay at your home for the duration of the lesson. You can also check your local community center and see if you can do it there. Also check schools sometimes they will allow you to use a room. Churches also will allow you to use space. With a Church you will have to be upfront with your students and tell them you are just using their space for now so they don't feel like you will evangelize them! Hope this helps!

deannatroupe
08-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Congrats on getting your first student. I think you should try something like a Starbucks or a community center. This way it's a public place and neither of you have to worry about a stranger being at your residence.

mankatogirl
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I meet at my church when I tutor. There are two reasons for this:
1. Someone is always there with me (janitor, pastor, secretary)
2. Free wi-fi!

Seriously, it works out quite well to meet at my church since this location is very near to both my home and my student's apartment. We can talk for a few minutes, then get to work. We meet for about an hour and the time flies by! We do have lots of space to spread out as well but my church is quiet so we can concentrate.

It's good to hear of success from avenues like WizAnt. I tried signing up for them but haven't completed their process.

Enjoy today!

ladysawfan
08-19-2012, 08:59 AM
for all your ideas. I hadn't thought of meeting at church. i have taken a phone center WAH job for now but still trying to figure out how to get my first students

starfall8
09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Maybe some quiet restaurant?