WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Online college positions?

leahcar
05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm an adjunct professor in the early childhood education department of the local state college. I typically only teach a few courses per year. Anyone have any experience with teaching for online colleges?

sh32
05-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Check out Kaplan. They have some part-time positions that are virtual.

Gluestick
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I attend Rio Salado Community College. It is 100 percent online. You may want to apply to be an instructor there. I'm going for a technology degree, but I believe they have a large childhood education department.

The main page is at Online College | Online Community College | Rio Salado College | Rio Salado College (http://www.riosalado.edu)

The information on becoming an instructor is at: Faculty Services | Rio Salado College (http://www.riosalado.edu/faculty_services/Pages/default.aspx)

djunamod
05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I work for the University of Phoenix online but they've been having a lot of reduction in enrollments in the last year or so, so I don't know if they're still hiring.

Here's a great blog that is updated pretty regularly with online university jobs: http://adjunctworld.blogspot.com/

I've been working with online universities for 4 years and I've seen a huge decline in work and opportunities :(. The government is coming down pretty hard on these universities because of past shady practices (not by the instructors, but by student recruiters and enrollment counselors), and it's taken its toll on enrollments. The majority of online teachers I know have had a serious decrease in work. When I first started at UoP, I had 4 courses at a time back to back. Now I am lucky if I get 1 or 2 every few months.

Sorry the news isn't better. The upshot is that now many traditional universities are offering more online courses, so there might be opportunities there.

Djuna

ilovemyjewelry
05-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I attend Baker College Online, they are located in Flint Michigan. If I'm not mistaken they have some online teaching positions open. If you would like their website pm me and I will gladly give it to you. Good Luck,

Stacey

tokala1954
06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I am currently a student with Empire State College/State University of New York, which is a 99% online school, offering both graduate and undergraduate degrees, including Education. You might inquire with them as the school is rapidly expanding. The general website is esc.edu

leahcar
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Thank you, thank you! Great info!

badenglishmajor
06-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all of the information here! I'm curious - what type of degree/certification is required to teach at an online college?

djunamod
06-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all of the information here! I'm curious - what type of degree/certification is required to teach at an online college?

Usually an MA degree at least. Some schools require a PhD (like Capella, I think). There are a handful, too, who accept people with a BA degree, but I really think those are very few. The majority require at least an MA.

Djuna

badenglishmajor
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Darn! I'm not done with my M.A. yet, but this is something to keep in mind for when I'm done! :)

feefuss
07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Do you know which ones require a BA only? I am a certified teacher, and I completed all of the credits towards a Masters in English teaching EXCEPT for presenting the thesis.