WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

KeriBerry
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
So I thought this could be a interesting question...

How old are your children and what grade are they supposed to be in, but here is the interesting part, what grade are they actually in ;)

~> We all know that as homeschoolers that grade can vary.. Sometimes even just in a paticular subject. That is the beauty of homeschooling, being able to allow our children as much time as they need to learn or allowing them to move at a faster pace. So please come and share what grade your children are in, either over all or in each subject.

I'll go first:

Daughter age 10yrs, 4th grade ~> Her English/reading etc and Math are at a 3rd grade level, but her Science and Social studies are at a 5th grade level !

Son age 5yrs, Kindergarten ~> He is right on target!

:cool:

TLewis
05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
My daughter is 9 years old and she is in 3rd grade... all her subjects she is really at the level of 4th to 5th grade... except her writing and math. She is at a 2nd to 3rd grade level at those two. She is left handed and my husband and I are both right handed... it is really hard for us to teach writing to her... and she just does not like math at all. She loves Reading-English, Science, and Music.

sagamble
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
11 yo - 5th grade - advanced 5th grade studies (she came out of the womb reading, as I like to say, so she was at least a grade level ahead in reading in the earlier 'learning-to-read' stages).

9 yo - 3rd grade - 3rd grade with advanced Science studies. At the beginning of the year she was still at a second grade level in math, but we've spent some extra time working on it and I feel as if she's on grade level now.

Here's a question: For those who have advanced children, do you plan on 'graduating' them early and having them enroll in college earlier than 18?

TLewis
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
11 yo - 5th grade - advanced 5th grade studies (she came out of the womb reading, as I like to say, so she was at least a grade level ahead in reading in the earlier 'learning-to-read' stages).

9 yo - 3rd grade - 3rd grade with advanced Science studies. At the beginning of the year she was still at a second grade level in math, but we've spent some extra time working on it and I feel as if she's on grade level now.

Here's a question: For those who have advanced children, do you plan on 'graduating' them early and having them enroll in college earlier than 18?

No, I do not plan on graduating my daughter early, I want her to be 18 years old when she goes into college. I feel it is best for her, and the family.

sagamble
05-11-2012, 07:36 AM
:) I'm not expecting to do that with our children, either, even though they will reach the state's requirement of classes before their senior year. (Unless those requirements change drastically in four years.)

I have thought of the possibility of dual-enrollment, however. Using online courses from our community college for both high school and college credit. It is actually common practice with our public schools around here. I have specific courses in mind for our highschoolers, so we may not have the time or inclination to dual enroll, but it is an option.

KeriBerry
05-12-2012, 05:48 PM
We are planning on dual-enrollment for our children. I just feel like why not? ;)

beanandpumpkin
05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
We haven't used any grades at all; they've always just worked at their levels. With that said, they're going to a Montessori school next year, and will enter the grades appropriate for their ages. My 11 year old will be going into 6th, and my 9 year old will be going into 4th. :)

Lilla Rose
05-17-2012, 07:27 AM
My oldest is 8. She is officially in 3rd grade (started 3rd in January). She is in the end of 2nd in English, 4th in Spelling, reading way above her level, and writing a little under.

RH Texas Gal
05-18-2012, 07:54 AM
My youngest son is 10 years old and on par with 5th grade level in most things. He is like his dad - doesn't like schoolwork but sees it as a necessary evil. Like my hubby, he will likely go to a technical school when he grows up as opposed to a 4-yr university. of course, who knows what interests may develop? He is still on 10 ...

My oldest son is 13 and his English and Creative Writing is on par with 8th grade level work. however, his math, science and history/geography is on par with 10th grade level work. He is a whiz at math and science, absolutely loves it. and he loves history and geography and often does research on his own. He also has Asberger's which is in the autism spectrum. His social skills and ability to read and show emotions is a bit stunted so we have scaled back some of his studies to work on these things this summer.

CinnaShoppe
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm new at this so I have no idea really - I have a lot of planning and research to do this summer! On that note - my son is 4 and in "preschool". He can count to 200 with no problem, write every letter upper and lower cases from memory within the lines, write sentences with spelling help, draws people with arms, legs,body, fingers, shoes, ears, eyes, nose, mouth and hair, knows all the planets, can draw all his shapes including oval, rectangle and star, colors very well inside the lines, and is beginning to read. He pretty much knows all the sounds different letters make, and most of the common combos (oo, sh, ch, etc.) So I have no clue what "grade" he is at or what he is supposed to know at 4 years old.

blessings2all
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I have a 15 year old who is finishing 9th grade but is a year ahead in math. She'll be taking Calculus as a junior.

I have a 16 year old who is a year ahead. She is finishing 11th grade. She'll be 17 when she graduates. She's not sure that she wants to go to college. She is gifted in music. I'm thinking may she might want to take some online courses or take some classes at a conservatory. I know that I don't want her living on a college campus at the age of 17.

badenglishmajor
06-09-2012, 08:46 AM
My 5 year old is "officially" in Kindergarten, but he's in 1st grade for everything but reading.
My 3 year old is in Pre-K.

I was home schooled and LOVED it! Once I hit the upper level grades, things made a lot of sense and I ended up finishing high school 3 years early. It was wonderful. I LOVED learning at my own pace!

KamaWilson
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Wow, CinnaShoppe, your son sounds very bright! My four year old doesn't even draw yet (except for an occasional "L" or "A". You must be doing a tremendous job with him! Fantastic!

My 11 year old on the other hand is starting 10th grade. It's amazing how varied our children can be academically.

I'm new at this so I have no idea really - I have a lot of planning and research to do this summer! On that note - my son is 4 and in "preschool". He can count to 200 with no problem, write every letter upper and lower cases from memory within the lines, write sentences with spelling help, draws people with arms, legs,body, fingers, shoes, ears, eyes, nose, mouth and hair, knows all the planets, can draw all his shapes including oval, rectangle and star, colors very well inside the lines, and is beginning to read. He pretty much knows all the sounds different letters make, and most of the common combos (oo, sh, ch, etc.) So I have no clue what "grade" he is at or what he is supposed to know at 4 years old.

MastiffLady
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
My 12 year old is 6th grade in math, 7th grade everything else.

My 8 year old is in the last few units of 3rd grade math, 6th grade reading, and 3rd grade everything else.

When we pulled them out of school last year my 12yo couldn't multiply 7x8 without using his fingers. :mad: But now, he is a multiplication genius.

There4u
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I homeschool my 12 yr. old. She is doing all 8th grade subjects, although technically she is only suppose to be in 7th grade. She was so smart that I just started her in Kindergarten at age 4. She didn't skip any grades or anything. We just finished writing and publishing our first cookbook.

Cindi Black
08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
this is our second year to homeschool. my daughter is 10 and we are using a straight 5th grade curriculum.....my middle son is 6 and doing straight 1st grade.....they are both smart enough that i could have skipped them a grade but i chose to stay in "order" but we are also looking at the possibility of being able to get two years worth done this year.....especially my 6 year old......he is really shooting through this year!......i've also started my 2 yr old on a preschool schedule

oz123
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
My daughter is 11... She was out of the USA for over 4 years at school learning in a different language.
I found online site that tested her language arts and math and she has been approved for grade 6!!

LoneWolfMuskoka
09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
We've just started homeschooling my son who is about to turn 8. He was in Gr. 2 last year so I looked into the provincial standards for curriculum for Grade 3. No wonder he found school so boring!

He could have graduated from Grade 3 last year. Probably the year before if he'd had an organized effort to teach him.

He is really advanced in math and reading. Writing is more difficult for him due to eye problems, but he is becoming proficient at touch typing.

My daughter is now going into Gr 8 and is remaining in public school. She finds the academics very easy and somewhat boring, but she stays focused on it. She is benefiting more from the non-academic side of things - friends, sports, bands and leadership training. She could get all of those things elsewhere if we home schooled her, but she really enjoys school so we're letting her stay the course for now. I plan to add some extra homework for her this year though, just to make a challenge. She'll be writing JavaScript and C++ by the end of the year 8=)

CRBagley
09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I found this discussion very interesting as my grandchildren are homeschooled. As most grandmothers will tell you "my grandchildren are brilliant".

My hats are off to all of you who do this. I think it is one of the biggest expressions of love a parent can give a child.

Janean92
09-30-2012, 03:41 PM
My son is 4

Kindergarten Math
Kindergarten Language arts

He would of been in pre k this year so he a grade a head

He really good at writing on a first grade level

He a science kid, and we do alot of it

We doing a lot of phonics this year

wahmbamtymam
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
My daughter is 5 we do a "homeschool" program through an online school called cva. She just got done with map testing and is at a 3rd grade level for both reading and math. She started reading whens she was 3, now she can read almost everything in front of her, somewhat a blessing and a curse ;) .

We have her at the first grade level for her curriculum but she will be finishing that before the year is up. She is good with most every subject except social studies, it's very boring for her and hard to remember because she doesn't really want to pay attention and truthfully it is a little boring not very hands on so I think we will be changing that after this year. Her favorite subject is art so we try to incorporate that each day so she has something to look forward to.

wahmsolutions
12-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I commend everyone here who homeschools AND works at home on top of all our other responsibilities. Great job!

PrayLoveWrap
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
We have to know where people stand. You can fight this question with the thought that my child is so beyond that grade but as a society, we want to know where we are.
It's our way of feeling comfortable with our surroundings.
I used to say, "he is 2nd-3rd grade", hoping to let people know what a great job I had been doing but found through prayer and understanding that all someone wants is to be accepted.
Sometimes it's just a way for people to be able to connect to you. So be sensitive and aware of who might be asking for the reason to just feel accepted! Hope this helps.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1