WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Get out and shoot Saturday

TommyH
05-03-2012, 12:48 PM
If you haven't heard already, this Saturday will be this years Supermoon. The moon will be full or close to it (think like 98%) as it passes earth on it's closest path for this year. The moon will look amazingly big and should be great for some shots.

If you can plan a landscape shot with a building, skyline, or something like that in the foreground it should make the moon look even bigger.

Where I am at it will rise about 19:55 and set about 6 am. The photographers ephemeris is a great program to check the times for your area and see the path it will take across. I plan to head out early Saturday and get setup for some great moon rise shots (fingers crossed) then catch a few hours sleep and get some shots of our city skyline with the moon as it starts to set.

They are calling for rain this weekend I just really hope it holds out during the night for some great photography.

lorah
05-04-2012, 04:31 AM
I heard about this on the news yesterday and I am just sick. There is something wrong with my camera. I am assuming it needs new batteries so I am going to try that first before I panic too much. Geoffs camera is the same way which makes me believe it is the batteries. So I will miss the opportunity. Ugh.
Hoping that the rest of you will get some amazing shots though!

Lora

TommyH
05-04-2012, 06:32 AM
What is your camera doing?

lorah
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi Tommy,
It isn't doing anything. I put new batteries in it and that evidently wasn't the problem. The display shows only that there is film in the camera, nothing else. Geoffs is doing the same thing so I can't imagine that it is a wiring or motherboard problem. Certainly we can't be THAT unlucky! I've been looking online for answers and can't find any. Any ideas? I found something online where someone else had the same issue and they rewound the film and put in a new roll and all is well. I tried doing it according to my manual and it won't rewind. It's like the batteries are dead but they are brand new. I just want to cry. Ugh

lorah
05-05-2012, 04:28 AM
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently, when the batteries were removed, the camera thought that the roll of film was finished and it re-wound! I was afraid to check because I didn't want to have to remove the film without using the re-wind function! HOLY COW! So I got brave and checked it and the film was rewound. I removed it, put in a new roll of film and the camera is PERFECT! Everything is working as it should, although, I am going to take a pic and see if the flash works. OMG I am so relieved! The flash problem is ok now too. Apparently what "I" think is low light is not what the camera thinks. I put the camera on Manual and turned the flash on and it worked. So, once again, it is operator error and has nothing to do with the camera. So now I am ready to shoot! Whew

TommyH
05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently, when the batteries were removed, the camera thought that the roll of film was finished and it re-wound! I was afraid to check because I didn't want to have to remove the film without using the re-wind function! HOLY COW! So I got brave and checked it and the film was rewound. I removed it, put in a new roll of film and the camera is PERFECT! Everything is working as it should, although, I am going to take a pic and see if the flash works. OMG I am so relieved! The flash problem is ok now too. Apparently what "I" think is low light is not what the camera thinks. I put the camera on Manual and turned the flash on and it worked. So, once again, it is operator error and has nothing to do with the camera. So now I am ready to shoot! Whew

That's great news. Look forward to seeing some photos from you.

AndrewW
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Manged to get a decent shot of it:

p5050972-small.png - Wuala (http://www.wuala.com/AndrewW/Images/Space/Moon%2005-05-2012/p5050972-small.png/)

TommyH
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Here is a few shots I got this past weekend.

Hurt Photography | SuperMoon 2012 | Photo 1 (http://www.hurt-photography.com/p614511729)

AndrewW
05-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Here is a few shots I got this past weekend.

Hurt Photography | SuperMoon 2012 | Photo 1 (http://www.hurt-photography.com/p614511729)

Looks good.

I tried for getting the hill below it in the shot but didn't have any luck getting any detail in the moon on those shots.

TommyH
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks good.

I tried for getting the hill below it in the shot but didn't have any luck getting any detail in the moon on those shots.

Ya, I had to sacrifice the moon detail to show some of the driftwood. I do like the star effect in the one shot though. What lens did you use to shoot the moon? It is so sharp, looks great.

I could have gone with a flash to light up the foreground but alas I had left my batteries at home.

My first spot I went to I got chased off by the coast guard, there was a brush fire and I was getting too close as it was on the beach at one of the state parks. So I had to move way up the beach with less drift wood and due to all the smoke it took a while for the moon to become visible. In the 3rd shot if you look close at the beach area on the right side you can see the haze from the smoke. The full size file I can see a little flame.

AndrewW
05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Ya, I had to sacrifice the moon detail to show some of the driftwood. I do like the star effect in the one shot though. What lens did you use to shoot the moon? It is so sharp, looks great.

Olympus Zuiko 70mm - 300mm f/4.0-5.6 E-E 1D Digital Zoom Lens (600mm equivelant). Thanks, I thought it came out pretty good.

I could have gone with a flash to light up the foreground but alas I had left my batteries at home.

The hill was a bit far for flash here.

My first spot I went to I got chased off by the coast guard, there was a brush fire and I was getting too close as it was on the beach at one of the state parks. So I had to move way up the beach with less drift wood and due to all the smoke it took a while for the moon to become visible. In the 3rd shot if you look close at the beach area on the right side you can see the haze from the smoke. The full size file I can see a little flame.

Adventures while shooting. Could have been an interesting shot, moon rises over fire.

TommyH
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Adventures while shooting. Could have been an interesting shot, moon rises over fire.

LOL, I had thought that when I moved to the second spot. I tried to get close and think I could have, but it was high tide so I would have had to cross an inlet. I would normally have waded but was really unsure of the depth, current was strong and no pelican case.

AndrewW
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL, I had thought that when I moved to the second spot. I tried to get close and think I could have, but it was high tide so I would have had to cross an inlet. I would normally have waded but was really unsure of the depth, current was strong and no pelican case.

Better to be safe if you are unsure of the conditions.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1