WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Flash Question

lorah
04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Ok, so I am working in 'automatic' mode to try and learn about the camera. I go to take a picture and the flash comes up but doesn't flash when I know that it should. Is there something that I need to do or is the bulb possibly burnt out? If so, is it possible to change it? I'm kinda at a loss because I have tried it various ways and nothing. It worked before so not sure if it is operator error or camera error. Thanks for any help

TommyH
04-24-2012, 02:21 PM
When you are on full auto are you shooting in a dark area like an inside room? I am guessing if the flash is popping up on auto then it should be firing.

Sometimes if you are are in a poorly lighted room but say there is a TV or computer screen on, if you have that in the center of the photo it might turn the flash off and not fire. When you look through the view finder do you see a lightning bolt looking thing if not then the flash wont fire.

Right before you take the photo, when you look through the view finder, press the shutter button half way down (like it will auto focus) and see if you see a little lightning strike at the bottom of the screen (in there area that shows if you are over/under exposed).

If you see this lightning strike then when you fully press the shutter button the flash should be firing. If it is not firing and you are seeing that lightning bolt then maybe the bulb is burnt out but this is pretty uncommon unless the camera flash was heavily used. I don't think I have ever had one go out on me.

Let us know what you see.

lorah
04-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Hi Tommy,

Yes, I was trying to take a picture in the living room, the TV was on but not in the frame. Yes, I do see the lightening bolt when I push the shutter button half way down, along with the settings. I looked in the manual but didn't see anything about a non firing flash. I was frustrated though and could have missed it so will look again. Thanks for the thoughts.

lorah
04-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I've tried everything I know and the conclusion that I came to is the the bulb is burned out. So, if I get an external flash, and don't use the one on the camera, will that work?

TommyH
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I've tried everything I know and the conclusion that I came to is the the bulb is burned out. So, if I get an external flash, and don't use the one on the camera, will that work?

As long as the hotshoe (where the flash mounts) is in working order yes this will work. It will even be better as far as you will have more power.

You should be able to find one for less then 20 dollars.

lorah
05-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok, so I have to be doing something wrong. The flash still does not fire in auto mode. It pops up but does not fire. I purposely took a picture in a dark room and nothing. When I have the camera in Manual mode, and I turn on the flash via the button, it fires. So I know now that the bulb is not burnt out but I have no clue what on earth I could be doing wrong.

TommyH
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Ok, so I have to be doing something wrong. The flash still does not fire in auto mode. It pops up but does not fire. I purposely took a picture in a dark room and nothing. When I have the camera in Manual mode, and I turn on the flash via the button, it fires. So I know now that the bulb is not burnt out but I have no clue what on earth I could be doing wrong.

When your on Auto and the flash pops up, when you look through the view finder, and press the shutter half way to focus do you see a flash in the lower left corner?

lorah
05-05-2012, 10:46 PM
If you are talking about the little lightening bolt, yes, I see that. But nothing happens.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1