WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

swampwiz
04-01-2012, 02:23 AM
(Not sure if this should go into the Ebay category, but it seems like it should.)

I've been noticing when doing a search for a few items, that one will pop up with an outrageous priced, like this one: Amazon.com: Annie Get Your Gun: Ambrosian Chorus, Kim Criswell, Thomas Hampson, David Garrison, John McGlinn conducting London Sinfonietta, Irving Berlin: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Get-Your-Ambrosian-Chorus/dp/B001QVH53C)

I'm wondering what the deal is with this. I can't fathom that someone would actually have this item and be thinking, "oh it's really worth this", and selling it only when someone actually buys it. I just have to think that somehow this seller is looking for someone to make a mistake and accidentally buy it, and then somehow source this item from someone used, or some other scheme. What od you think?

ybnegood
04-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Is to have 2 seller accounts. One you price extremely high, the other you price at a price you can live with.
People see the high priced item and think oooh maybe this is a rare item worth lots of money, and they
buy from the lower priced seller (who is the same seller)

You can find lots of items outrageously priced on ebay too...just search by highest priced first.

Reminds me of the time I was selling an item for $4.99 with a buy it now, and some lady kept bidding it up
to $19.99. She didn't realize the value of what she was bidding on. (I gave her a discount before I shipped it)

msuggitt
04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
As mentioned above, its just another marketing ploy, good to know that you are aware of things like this.

And KUTOS to whybnegood for practicing good and ethical business practices when no one was watching. Your kindness will come back ten-fold.;)

Unkle_Jessie
04-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I've noticed that too.. I always search through as many as I can to find what seems to be the general advertised price before pricing my items, so far it's worked out really well.. The one thing I have done is the items that I can't seem to price at a level that I'm comfortable with, I list on another site (ecrater) and surprisingly have sold most of the items I've listed there, I'm shipping a NIB of Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming tomorrow that I couldn't list at a decent price on amazon.. so sometimes it might pay to look at other places to sell as well.. Just remember that if you have the products listed on multiple sites, once it sells, adjust your inventory on those other sites!!

Youngster
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Is to have 2 seller accounts.

Amazon actually does not allow a seller to maintain two seller accounts unless they have a legitimate business need for two of them and are not going to be selling the same products within both accounts. Amazon will require proof that there are two businesses that need to be operated separately on Amazon and a list of inventory items each account plans to offer. Multiple accounts are rarely granted.
Otherwise, if two seller accounts are detected then one or both of them will be automatically terminated.

The higher priced item on pages like this are typically one of only a few things:

1. A mis-type. "Gee, I could have swore I typed in $38 because that's about as much as I bought it for in the beginning...how'd that extra number get on there?" (...not as common as you'd think it would be, really, but it does still occur from time to time.)

2. Third-party software. "So-and-so lists my items for sale for me on the site. I just give them my inventory list and they calculate out the best selling practices for me. It saves a lot of time!" (...a lot of larger sellers do this.)

3. Mine-is-better-than-yours syndrome. "I bought mine 3 and a half years ago from this man at the local swap meet for $200 and he told me it was a steal of a deal! I believe him and I want to make profit. The other sellers on that page must not know the gem they are holding!" (...way more common than you'd expect.)

verotop
04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Amazon actually does not allow a seller to maintain two seller accounts unless they have a legitimate business need for two of them

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1