WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Saving up

TommyH
03-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Figured it's been quite on here for a few days. Thought I might post something to generate some talk.

Camera gear can be so expensive what do you do to save or purchase the new gear you want? How do you decide what you will purchase?

I have 3 things that I want to purchase, but each one is going to run close to 1k if not over and I cannot decide which to bit the bullet on first.

All this talk about film has me wanting to pick up a film camera again. The dynamic range you can achieve with film and the detail you get is much higher than that of DSLR. Unless you get a medium format digital back, We are talking close to 10k for that kind of setup what Peter Lik uses. The other option is to use HDR for digital but you do still lose some details. So I have been looking at medium format film cameras. Like a Mamiya 645 or similar. This outfit will run me 300-500 dollars used, then of course ad to that the drum scans for high resolution digital files, and cost to develop. I wont shoot with it as much due to these added cost factors but the prints will be be able to be printed huge with little loss of detail and one shot will have a higher dynamic range.

The reason for the great detail is the size of the film and what it captures. For example a 35mm frame measures 36×24 mm, a crop sensor measures 20.7×13.8 mm to 28.7×19.1 mm depending on the sensor. A medium format film like the one I speak of above the film is 6cm x 4.5 cm or 60 x 45 mm. It is 2-3 times the size so has a much greater area to capture all the details.

The next thing I am looking at is an underwater housing for my camera. I am a fish and love to be in the water. Whether it's surfing, kayaking, walking through water to find waterfalls, etc. I have some great ideas for shots but the only way for me to capture them is to have a case to waterproof my camera. They make bags for 100 or so dollars but I do not know how much I would trust 2k of equipment in a bag like that. If there is a slight cut or leak it could be a bad situation. These are also not meant for more then 20 feet down, which is fine as most of my plans are for surface shots. Also b/c it's a bag controls are hard to access and change but its cheap to get started. The other option is a full blown pro outfit which will be closer to 1k new. These are meant for diving so I know surface situations will be just fine, you have access to all controls on the camera, it's a hard case so built tough and can take some slight abuse.

Lastly of course would be a new lens. Only reason this is last on the lens is due to the fact I can rent the lenses when I need them for a few days at a fraction of the cost of purchasing one.

So my 2 main purchases will either be the underwater housing and medium format. I think my choice will be based on season when I get the money, if its still summer I go underwater, if it's fall I go medium format and hit the appalachian mountains.

AndrewW
03-30-2012, 11:08 AM
The next thing I am looking at is an underwater housing for my camera. I am a fish and love to be in the water. Whether it's surfing, kayaking, walking through water to find waterfalls, etc. I have some great ideas for shots but the only way for me to capture them is to have a case to waterproof my camera. They make bags for 100 or so dollars but I do not know how much I would trust 2k of equipment in a bag like that. If there is a slight cut or leak it could be a bad situation. These are also not meant for more then 20 feet down, which is fine as most of my plans are for surface shots. Also b/c it's a bag controls are hard to access and change but its cheap to get started. The other option is a full blown pro outfit which will be closer to 1k new. These are meant for diving so I know surface situations will be just fine, you have access to all controls on the camera, it's a hard case so built tough and can take some slight abuse.

Another option to consider would be just picking up one of those cheap compact camers that can be used underwater. Wouldn't be the same as your regular gear of course, but then you wouldn't have to worry about damage to the regular stuff, if it gets damaged you aren't out that much. Just an idea if you wanted to get started on underwater stuff without too much investment.

TommyH
03-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Another option to consider would be just picking up one of those cheap compact camers that can be used underwater. Wouldn't be the same as your regular gear of course, but then you wouldn't have to worry about damage to the regular stuff, if it gets damaged you aren't out that much. Just an idea if you wanted to get started on underwater stuff without too much investment.

I thought about those but they wont have the shutter speeds or wide enough angles I need for the action shots of surfers in the break. I really think I am going to pick up one of those heavy duty ziplock bag type things and test it thoroughly before I put my camera in it. I have access to a pool so I can put it in a shallow end for an hour or 2 tied to a brick to make sure no leaks. Will probably put some rice or those absorb packages in there as well. And also test the empty bag in the surf before I take the camera and lens out in the surf with it.

They have them at Adorama for 84 bux. Dicapac WP-S5 Waterproof Case for Small DSLR Cameras WP-S5 (http://www.adorama.com/DIPWPS5.html)

lorah
04-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Since I am so new and basically need everything, I have a list of what I want to get. I look around eBay and other sites and write down the prices. When I have 'extra' money, I'll buy something. Can't help with the underwater stuff, I'm trying to get 'land' down good! LOL

TommyH
04-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Since I am so new and basically need everything, I have a list of what I want to get. I look around eBay and other sites and write down the prices. When I have 'extra' money, I'll buy something. Can't help with the underwater stuff, I'm trying to get 'land' down good! LOL

"The List" I think all of us who shoot either as a hobby or for pay, have this list of new equipment.

Ebay is a good place to look especially for used gear, along with craiglist. Sometimes I find better deals on new items at B&H photo/video or Adorama.

msuggitt
04-02-2012, 07:50 AM
I bought a used medium format years ago when working as a photograher out in San Diego - Bronica - Loved that thing - the photos were SO much better than any thing else because of the lg. film size. Plus we needed for large groups and any mag. work.

Glad to know that there is still a place for the medium format amongst all the new technology. :)

TommyH
04-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I bought a used medium format years ago when working as a photograher out in San Diego - Bronica - Loved that thing - the photos were SO much better than any thing else because of the lg. film size. Plus we needed for large groups and any mag. work.

Glad to know that there is still a place for the medium format amongst all the new technology. :)

I think there will always be a place for medium format. I think more photographers will move towards it digitally as it becomes more affordable, but for now I will use medium format film once I can get one. Hopefully come the end of year all my landscape shots will be done with medium format film and everything else like real estate, weddings, sports, etc. will be shot with my digital.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1