WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Pricing question

debs5065
05-28-2006, 07:50 AM
OK...I don't know if this has been addressed before, and if it has, my apologies ; ))

I've been selling on Ebay off and on for several years...pretty much stuff I had around the house (I had alot...hubby is a packrat)...

We have started going to live auctions locally and I have been buying alot of antique glass, depression, Fenton, and some collectible items...

My thought was, that I should list them for twice what I paid for them...however, in looking at some of my auctions that have closed recently, I'm beginning to rethink that...

Is there a hard and fast rule...should it be twice or three times what you paid?? My problem is this if I list it for twice what I paid and the item has to be relisted and doesn't sell til the 2nd time around...on an item I paid $5 for and resold for $10, I'm only making $2 or $3, if that because of the Ebay fees...

I recently opened a store and one of the things I've done is after I've listed something on auction twice, I put it into my store inventory. That way, the item is still getting exposure through my store and the fees are considerably less...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated : ))

Thanks,
Deb

Kevin Peterson
05-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Someone from another board I frequent always makes the same comment: "Profits are made when you buy, not when you sell".

Pricing should always be with the market. If completed items aren't selling for a price, odds are that yours won't either. There is no hard set price, just what the market will bear.

If the auctions you go to allow you to see the lots before-hand, consider researching the pricing, or stick to a niche market where you are familiar with the going prices.

Buckaroo
06-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Kevin gave you some great advice there. Here's another point to keep in
mind. Try not to get too focused on only the dollar amount you make on
each item. It's more important to stay focused on making a decent
percentage. So, when you think of net profit, think in terms of what
that equates to in the form of a percentage. Look for merchandise that
you can hopefully make at least 30-40%, although there may be times
when you may have to settle for less. A seller can end up making only
$1.00 per item, but if their net profit from that sale is at least 30%
and they do a large volume, than the seller certainly cannot complain
about making 30% on their money. But, if that seller only looked at it
as selling something for a buck, then they may overlook the potential
of the total net percentage adding up to more from the volume sold in
the long run. Hope those thoughts help! Tammara

<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

Kevin Peterson
06-28-2006, 05:54 AM
A good point on profits and volume. I'm a Powerseller who's average product cost is @ $1.99.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1