WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Next Lens

lorah
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Ok, so I just got hubs a camera off of eBay, same as mine, a Rebel EOS XS film camera. His comes with a Quanteray 35-85 AF lens. We are wondering what would be the next best lens to purchase. We want to do landscape, weather, macro etc. Also, he is a GREAT fan of nightime photography including stars, moon nightscapes etc. Any help would be appreciated.

TommyH
03-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok, so I just got hubs a camera off of eBay, same as mine, a Rebel EOS XS film camera. His comes with a Quanteray 35-85 AF lens. We are wondering what would be the next best lens to purchase. We want to do landscape, weather, macro etc. Also, he is a GREAT fan of nightime photography including stars, moon nightscapes etc. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest something wider for landscapes and weather. 35mm is a good start but you might find your self wanting even wider. The 17-40 on my digital is like a 24mm but on a full frame or film it would be 17-40. Superb lens but it will run at least 600 dollars. Kind of a hard option as I can't name off top of my head any standard or wider lenses for Canon on the lower end of budget. The 18-55mm Canon makes is an EF-S lens. Again like before stay away from EF-S at this time for Canon and if you find a Sigma stay away from DC.

Try searching for a Sigma or maybe Tamron lens. They tend to be less expensive.

Quick ebay search turned up this:
Canon EF 25-55mm f4-5.6 USM Zoom Lens for EOS Rebel T3 T3i T2i T1i 60D XS 5D 50D | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-25-55mm-f4-5-6-USM-Zoom-Lens-for-EOS-Rebel-T3-T3i-T2i-T1i-60D-XS-5D-50D-/120880027144?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c2502d608#ht_1975wt_1037)

I am pretty happy at 24mm (17-40mm on my digital) but I do find myself going even wider at times using my 11-16mm on some landscapes. My 11-16mm would be more like a 16-24mm on a film camera.

For nightscapes, will need to have a tripod in use, I would recommend a fast lens. Aperture able to stop down to 2.8 would be best. You can get away with 3.5 at times but the lower the number the better for night shots. Also a wide lens as well. With night shots you have to leave your shutter open for a long period of time. Once you pass 30 seconds you will start getting trails in the stars.This is a cool effect at times but sometimes you want the stars to be just dots. There are ways to track the stars for galaxy shots but it's hard enough with digital being able to see the image, I can't image doing it with film. The reason for wider is that the movement of stars is less noticeable the wider you are. If you start zooming in you will see trails quicker in your shots. Canon has a 50mm 1.8 that is great for nightscapes, it's not really wide but the 1.8 aperture makes it a great lens for getting in lots of star light and you can pick one up for about 100 bux.

Finally for macro, I want to say most lenses designed for macro start about 60mm and go up. You can get around this by using extension tubes. The photo below was using a Canon 18-55 EF-S lens with 3 extension tubes. It is a piece of computer memory. Was less then 1' away from it.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4052/4361455392_39d318c28e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4361455392/)
Day 8 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4361455392/) by Tommygunzgrafix (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

AndrewW
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Star trails can be eliminated if you happen to have a telescope mount that can track as you can get a mount to attach your camera to this (and an adapter to attach the camera directly to the telescope eyepiece to use it as a telephoto lens).

I tend to stich images together for wide shots myself.

TommyH
03-20-2012, 10:55 AM
You can also make a barn door setup to put camera on for tracking. I have made one of these and it works good but not as good as something electric. Very inexpensive as well. Again digital will help as you can see what you need to change on the fly for the image.

I agree you can stitch scenes together but this might be difficult for someone starting out and using film. If it was digital I would say stitch wide and look at telephotos, but with film I think you will spend more in trial and error then you would if you purchase an inexpensive lens that is wider.

lorah
03-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Thank you so much Tommy and Andrew for the info on the lenses. I realized later that I had already posted this same question in another thread. All I can blame it on is a couple of beers too many and a whole lotta OLD. Thanks again, I appreciate your expertise!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1