WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Got it

lorah
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I got my camera today and could not be more excited! It came with batteries and I have film so I am ready to play. Turns out it is a Rebel XS and not just the X. So it has the built in flash and red eye reduction. So here is a question. And it may be a really stupid one and the answer may be obvious, but I can't think of it. I understand about getting out there and playing and shooting and writing down the settings that I have it on when I took the picture etc. I'm going to keep a little notepad in the awesome bag that came with it. So, when I get the film developed, how am I going to know what picture goes with what setting? I'm not going to be able to swear to the order I took them in, or the order I get them back in and if I take a few shots of the same thing but different settings, how can I tell the difference? I'm not able to look at a photo and say Oh, this was taken with a thus and so.

lorah
03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
What is the best thing to use to clean the lens? The camera? The seller sent me the camera in primo condition and I want it always to look this nice.

Do any of you have your own darkroom? I know we talked about it briefly in another thread, but I am wondering how much I am looking at to set one up and what it is exactly that I would need.

I just took my first three pictures in fully automatic mode and I can't even tell you the rush I felt! It is amazing. I am gonna whip through these 2 rolls of film by tomorrow, easy. :)

TommyH
03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
For the notes, what I did was I named the page something like "a", then I would number 1-24 down the side leaving a few lines in between each number for notes such as shutter speed, aperture, the lens I had on at the time and brief description of the scene. When I finished the roll of film I would write on the top cap the letter, and note the date I took it in for development. I usually only developed one roll at a time when I was experimenting.

When you get the roll developed you can request a CD for a little extra, or they might give you a proof card, showing a small thumbnail of the photo. These are usually in the order in which it was developed. Most labs will print them in the order they are developed or reverse.

If you shoot say 2-3 of the same scene and make changes to the settings usually the image will either be darker or brighter. You can match this up the actual negatives. The negative will either be darker, brighter or in the middle just like the prints. Once you have which one goes where in the series, you can see the number it was on the negative. Most film below the photo on the negative had a number so you new which shot it was (this was my experience).

Once you know the number you go back to your notes and compare the settings between each photo and see how it changed it.

The other thing you could do is change the scene slightly and note how you changed it. Like if you were shooting a palm on the beach but wanted different settings to see how it changes it. Put the tree to the right in one photo, change settings now frame it up with tree to left, then lastly frame it up with tree centered. Just note where the object was in the frame on your notepad so you can tell later once you have the prints.

Or you can place a small object in the frame in a corner that you can crop out later, like a rock in lower right, then lower left, and then no rock. Just note where it was with each photo, like I said with this its only testing but if you get something cool you can crop out a little of the frame to remove the rock/object.

TommyH
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
What is the best thing to use to clean the lens? The camera? The seller sent me the camera in primo condition and I want it always to look this nice. To clean my lens and camera I have lint free cloth like you would use for glasses. I have a hand held blower type thing that has a duster on the end so you can dust and blow air to clean. Finally for stubborn finger prints on lenses or things that don't come off easily I use isopropanol alcohol usually 70%. With film you should only have to worry about the lens (exterior glass, unless you decide to open the lens, not a great idea unless you know what you are doing or have a good manual).

Do any of you have your own darkroom? I know we talked about it briefly in another thread, but I am wondering how much I am looking at to set one up and what it is exactly that I would need. There is quite a bit and might be something to wait on for a little while. Lots of stuff on the web though. You need a dark place, room that you can black out. There is 3 main chemicals to start, fix and stop the development plus running water or clean water near by. If you plan to print then you will need the enlarger as well this is the bulk of the cost... check out this article basic but gives you idea, My Essentials: A Basic Darkroom Kit (http://www.porters.com/porter-s-picks-basic-darkroom.html)

lorah
03-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks Tommy! Great ideas. That is what I will do. Sounds easy now, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Thanks for the darkroom website. Not something I am going to jump into, was just curious about the cost. I'll do some looking around the web. Thanks again for the cleaning tips and note taking tips, I really appreciate it!

TommyH
03-13-2012, 06:38 AM
If you go with just black and white you can probably find an enlarger on ebay or craigslist for 100 dollars or so which would greatly reduce the overall cost.

lorah
03-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks Tommy

Good info and lots to look at. First, I would have to have hubs build me something because I don't have anywhere in the house that would work for a darkroom. I know that alot of people use their bathroom but I have a HUGE window in mine and it's pretty small. So whether or not it ever gets done remains to be seen. I still enjoy looking at all the possibilities though!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1