WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : F-stop

lorah
03-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Ok, so I was reading the posts from Tommy's blog that I have saved. And when he starts writing again, I highly recommend that if you are interested in photography, follow him. So any way, I am about as confused as I can get. The higher the F-stop number, the more things in the photo are in focus. Is that right or do I have it backwards. I was looking at the fruit on the table and it started out with a low number, 1.8 I think and as the number got higher, the more fruit was in focus. And then with shutter speed it is the opposite? The higher the number the LESS light gets in?

TommyH
03-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Ok, so I was reading the posts from Tommy's blog that I have saved. And when he starts writing again, I highly recommend that if you are interested in photography, follow him. So any way, I am about as confused as I can get. The higher the F-stop number, the more things in the photo are in focus. Is that right or do I have it backwards. I was looking at the fruit on the table and it started out with a low number, 1.8 I think and as the number got higher, the more fruit was in focus. And then with shutter speed it is the opposite? The higher the number the LESS light gets in?

That's exactly right. The higher the number the more Depth of Field you will have. Or the more items will look in focus/sharp. And the shutter speed decreases to allow enough light in for exposing.

The opposite holds true. Lower number = smaller depth of field so background items are blurred more, but shutter speed increases.

lorah
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks Tommy! I was trying to break it down into the easiest possible thing so I could understand it. I still don't have a handle on the vocabulary! But I'm learning!

AndrewW
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Note the smaller the aperature the greater the depth of field, but also the less light that gets in to the film or sensor so longer exposure times are usually required with a smaller aperature.

lorah
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
So I would need a larger number on the shutter speed with a lower number on the aperture, right?

AndrewW
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
So I would need a larger number on the shutter speed with a lower number on the aperture, right?

This will vary, you could alternately use a more sensitive film (higher ISO) for example. But assuming other factors remain the same a slower shutter speed would be needed for the same result. For example if a 1/250 shutter speed would give you the correct exposure for the apature size, but you make the apature smaller you might need a 1/100 shutter speed to compensate.

Experiment and have some fun.

lorah
03-10-2012, 03:45 AM
I will Andrew! I am looking forward to playing with it. Just kind of trying to translate all the photog speak into language I understand. Hubs is printing off my manual so I will have that later to read. Thanks for the help!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1