WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Freelance Online Tutoring

djunamod
02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Hi all,
I would like to eventually build a career doing freelance online tutoring and maybe even set up my own business. I have an MA in English and have been teaching English college-level courses for 8 years, 4 of those years (and counting) are online. I'm also planning on getting a CELTA certificate this summer so that I can add ESL teaching to my resume, as I'm very interested in that.

I've seen a lot of websites for freelancers where you basically post a profile and can use the site's platform and tools to tutor (and they take a certain percentage of money, of course) but it's pretty much a freelance situation, where you set your own rates and you choose your own material. I'm thinking of sites like Edufire, Myngle, and the like.

I haven't yet signed up for any of these because I'm not quite sure how to begin. I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck signing up with these sites (I mean like 10 or 15 or so of them) and getting some tutoring gigs from there. If so, I'd like to know how you set yourself up beyond the profile and how you conduct the tutoring classes. Do you do mainly homework help or do you do an entire assessment with the student as to what their needs are and what level they are at and then come up with materials and lesson plans based on that? Also, what rate do you find appropriate for what you do (I'm still researching that)?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather do that than respond to the boards :-).

Djuna