WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Home Made equipment

TommyH
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
So after watching this past creative live event about wedding photography I really wanted to give a try some off camera flash shooting. I didn't want to spend the money on a shoot through umbrella kit or go all out and buy a soft box with light and power pack.

I decided to make a small home made soft box that will attach to my speedlight for under 10 dollars. My speedlight thankfully has wireless built in, so all I had to do was set the camera up on the tripod, compose the shot, hit the shutter (10 sec delay), grab the flash (no stand to set it up on, would have been so much easier lol) and get myself (the stand) in position with flash.

Here is the result of a photo I took yesterday. I think I will be buying an umbrella kit in the near future for more practice.

http://www.hurt-photography.com/img/s3/v40/p468154618-3.jpg

lorah
02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Everything in your post was 'greek' to me but the photo is amazing! Really really nice! And if you did that with homemade equipment, well that is even more impressive! Awesome!

TommyH
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Everything in your post was 'greek' to me but the photo is amazing! Really really nice! And if you did that with homemade equipment, well that is even more impressive! Awesome!

Thanks Lorah. I will get a shot of what I made and post it up. I wish I would have taken photos during the build process for more of a how to. I plan to make another though in the near future as I can do it pretty cheap.

TommyH
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Here is an image of what I made and used for the shot above. It's a softbox/diffuser for my speed light.

I purchased a black foam board from Wally World for 2.88. I had the rest of the materials already. Below are the materials I used:
-20x30 foam board - 2.88
-Some aluminum foil - .97
-White fabric - free or a few dollars if you purchase a half yard. I have also read people using wax paper
-spray glue (3m super 77 multipurpose adhesive) Can find at Wally World or box home repair stores about 5 dollars for the can. Can use glue sticks or elmers
-exacto knife or box knife with new blades - 2-3 dollars.
-stick on velcro - 1.00
-Tape - electrical 1.00, packing tape little more. Just want something strong.

First I cut the foam board into 4 10x10" squares. Then I measured and made a line 1" from base. Measured my speed light to figure out opening size about 2 3/4 long by 1 1/2, then made marks along this line from center out on both sides. So for the top and bottom, from the center at 5", I made a mark at 1 3/16" on each side. Did the same with the sides using the other dimension. From these marks I drew a line from here to the front corners and cut out the foam. To make the flaps where it attaches you only cut half way through the foam.

Next was to attach aluminum foil to these pieces. I cut out a 12x12 roughly square of foil, sprayed the back side (dull side) with the adhesive and then laid the foam on that, smooth out the bubbles as best you can and let these dry. This helps reflect the light inside the box.

Now was time to attach the 4 pieces. You can do this with glue, I have seen others use wire, I just used some electrical tape as I had it and it was handy. Once you have your box together check for fitment. You can use a rubberband around the flaps to make it secure, I choose the velcro as I again already had it, it feels more secure at times.

Finally attach the white fabric or wax paper to the front. If you use velco you can remove it and you can make the box where it folds down. Being this is my first one, I just taped it, lol.

I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on this or resources. I can say it took me less then an hour to build and because I had everything I only spent 3 dollars. You can use other things you have from around the house as well. I have seen them made with cereal boxes instead of foam, just get creative with what you have. Basically want a box with a white front, little reflective on the inside, and a hole at back to attach to your flash.

The front of my box measured 10x10, its about 9" from the front to the back. The bigger the front the more spread out and softer your light will be. But don't go to big if you are using on a flash as it will become harder to handle and could go over your lens if you have flash attached to camera.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z60/tommygunzgrafix/photo2.jpg

lorah
02-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks so much Tommy for explaining how you did this. This is a keeper for sure. Photography is a pretty pricey hobby (for me) on it's own so being creative with some things will be a big thing for me initially. I appreciate all the help.

AndrewW
02-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks so much Tommy for explaining how you did this. This is a keeper for sure. Photography is a pretty pricey hobby (for me) on it's own so being creative with some things will be a big thing for me initially. I appreciate all the help.

Oh not just for you. Costs can sure get up there. Though there is the possibility of claiming business expenses.

lorah
02-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Yes, that's very true. I would imagine that most everything could be claimed as a business expense. I will have to get myself really organized when I am ready to take that step! I honestly can't believe the prices of some things. I just look and say wow. LOL

AndrewW
02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Yes, that's very true. I would imagine that most everything could be claimed as a business expense. I will have to get myself really organized when I am ready to take that step! I honestly can't believe the prices of some things. I just look and say wow. LOL

It's not a cheap hobby...

TommyH
02-08-2012, 07:51 AM
It is def not a cheap hobby, but there are things you can do to help with the cost. I rent lenses when I cannot afford them. With taxes you have to have an expectation of profit (whether you make profit or not lol) to claim things on taxes.

I usually do 25% to a savings for taxes, 25% to a business checking for future expenses and to put back into the business, and take 50% for my pay. I try to base my prices knowing this.

I have a wedding booked in June due to the shot above.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1