WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Well trying my hand at Ebay

MailboxSurprise
05-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, my husband and I decided to try to operate an ebay business. My husband works his but off and we still just live pay to pay. With 5 kids we decided we need to try something. So we decided to give ebay a shot. I bought an ebay powerseller book that seems to be informative. I started listing some items that I have made which have made some sells here and there.

Our next step is to find more items to sell... so that is what I am looking for now. I guess finding a product source is probably the most difficult part but I think we can make it work.

Well on to doing more research. Have a nice night.

Trish

Kevin Peterson
05-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Trish,

Finding a source is hard, and it's unlikely that anyone is going to divulge their sources (it would hurt their business!)

One suggestion I always give is to look at the things that you do. Is there anything you are an expert at that could be turned into a product? If you have an idea in mind, look for related keywords on eBay and see if anyone else is making a living from it.

in_flu_ence
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree. No one will review their product source since that is going to hurt his business. Established wholesalers will also not publicise themselves on the net to avoid being 'labelled' as a competitor by its resellers.

Nevertheless, try to source for items through your local network. There might just be something that's missing on the net (or not saturated).

Good Luck.

MailboxSurprise
05-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I have one item that I made have have been selling and I have a couple more ideas that we are working one. I would like to add some other products as well. In time though. One step at a time. I don't want to get too overwhelmed. Right now I am just selling some stuff around the house and for friends and the program I made. My husband and I have to find our niche... I know it won't happen overnight but it will happen..

Trish

AuctionDreams
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
The beauty of Ebay is that you can start to sell things and make money after only a couple of minutes of registering, you then simply list an item that is already in your house that you no longer want or is just collecting dust. Remember the phrase:
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
One Persons Trash is another Person’s Treasure (a perfect phrase for Ebay).

Once you get selling on Ebay it becomes very addictive, especially when you see how easy it is to make some extra money in your spare time, however you soon get faced by one of the biggest problems that you will find when selling on Ebay….where to find things to sell on Ebay?

Here are a few simple places that will not only provide you with great things to sell but also help you to build up some capital for when you decide to make those bigger purchases from wholesalers.

Market.
Simply go down and take a look at your local market, you may be surprised, look around for anything good. Buy it if it's cheap enough, also try to make
Build up a relationship with the market traders because you may be able to offer them another outlet for their goods (for a cut of course) and/or you may be able to gain some information on who their suppliers are.

Pawn Shops.
Usually when you visit these places the goods they have for sale are displayed in a pretty unorganised manner, so get digging and search around and buy things that you know will sell (use Ebay to research the items beforehand) or try some really obscure purchases that you will probably get for pennies. They may surprise you what they go for.

Real Auctions.
Go to a real auction, most of the items go for well under what they are really worth and as the rooms tend to be small you are not competing against lots of others.

Local Papers.
Look in the for-sale section and see what people are trying to get rid of, also consider placing a wanted ad saying that you will buy for cash.

Shops.
Have a walk round some of the discounters out there, a lot sell items super cheaply to get people into the place (loss leaders) so take advantage of this. Also keep an eye on trade in shops and shops like cash converters as there are usually some great opportunities to take advantage of.

House Clearances.
This probably better geared towards those that are selling full time on Ebay, consider setting yourself up as a house clearer. Sure you will need to get a van of some description but you are guaranteed to be able to make a profit out of the items that you ‘clear’, the majority will be worth what you paid for it so use a car boot to get rid of that but there are always the items that will fly away on Ebay.

Add Value
Take a product that is readily available and 'add to it' so that it makes it more desirable and hence worth more. A friend of mine custom paints ipods and makes a great living from it.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1