WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

rhonda_wahm
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
My kids are actually attending an online public school this year, this is their first year. Its my five year old's first year of school and I want to be sure I give him everything he needs to learn to read. The school is a big support in it but I am wondering if there are any additional sites that would maybe help with teaching him to read, him learning words, etc ...

Thanks!

blessings2all
01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Starfall (http://www.starfall.com) is a good site. Funfonix (http://www.funfonix.com/games/) also has some fun games. We use an online school too. I hope you enjoy your school.

rhonda_wahm
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Starfall (http://www.starfall.com) is a good site. Funfonix (http://www.funfonix.com/games/) also has some fun games. We use an online school too. I hope you enjoy your school.

I have him use Starfall sometimes too. I havent seen Funfonix, I will have to check that one out. What online school are your kids doing? By kids are attending Connections Academy.

Kindergarten is like I am a teacher lol. My older children are a little more independently. But with him being so young he cant work independently yet so we do school together. Interesting lol.

Is this your first year or have you been doing it awhile?

earlyknowledgeforkids
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Readingbear.org is another good free website. It teaches phonics.

KamaWilson
02-21-2012, 08:40 PM
My daughter was having a hard time with reading for some reason, so we signed up for ClickNKids. It worked great. She loved it, and learned too!

NewLeaf
02-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I have my kids on Readingeggs.com We are on our second year.. I love it.. I have my 3 kids in it.. My 6, 7, and 10 year old.. My youngest started at 5 and it was GREAT..

goldengoal
02-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Interactive learning is the best technique by which children learn. Many CDs and DVDs are available for this purpose. Moreover, you can find many options on-line as well. Children often get bored by the same lessons so try to modify your teaching techniques. Encourage your children by repeatedly appreciating their efforts.

blessings2all
03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I have him use Starfall sometimes too. I havent seen Funfonix, I will have to check that one out. What online school are your kids doing? By kids are attending Connections Academy.

Kindergarten is like I am a teacher lol. My older children are a little more independently. But with him being so young he cant work independently yet so we do school together. Interesting lol.

Is this your first year or have you been doing it awhile?

This is our 8th year using K12. My dds are in high school now. Do you like Connections Academy?

yvonnelisa
03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
My kids are actually attending an online public school this year, this is their first year. Its my five year old's first year of school and I want to be sure I give him everything he needs to learn to read. The school is a big support in it but I am wondering if there are any additional sites that would maybe help with teaching him to read, him learning words, etc ...

Thanks!

My daughter has been doing extra online reading and vocabulary worksheets on beestar. I think it is nice and easy to use. I like the simple presentation: text has nice simple fonts, the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting and the stories are interesting. The honor roll, ranking, award programs are effective. DD always can't wait to do the exercises.
Lisa

AlisonMSmith
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I actually used Hooked on Phonics -- just because I bought it 18 years ago, before we started homeschooling. However, it's basic principles are sound. Consonant sounds, short vowel sound, long vowel sounds, other blends and variations. No big deal. :)

jenryan9278
03-15-2012, 04:27 AM
I have the same thing going on here with my 5 1/2 year old. We started with Connections Academy but we didn't like it for Kindergarten. Maybe when he is a little older. He does well with math and science but that reading is a stinker! We have tried Reading Eggs and he liked it but got bored with it I think. He loved the Hooked on Phonics that we checked out at the library. Thank you all for posting these new sites. I will definitely look at them and get some fresh ideas! :)

rhonda_wahm
03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
I have the same thing going on here with my 5 1/2 year old. We started with Connections Academy but we didn't like it for Kindergarten. Maybe when he is a little older. He does well with math and science but that reading is a stinker! We have tried Reading Eggs and he liked it but got bored with it I think. He loved the Hooked on Phonics that we checked out at the library. Thank you all for posting these new sites. I will definitely look at them and get some fresh ideas! :)

My son's kindergarten teacher at INCA has been great. I have started doing flashcards with my son adding new words each week. We go over the flashcards each day. We also do something called a Chant Chart at CA, this goes over the letters, the letter sounds, words that begin with that letter. We also do this on a regular basis as well. This has helped too. The flash cards has been a huge help!

I also read to my son daily. I have him listen to me read and then I get a book smller for his age and have him sound out the words and try to read them to me. They gave them small books with his school supplies and those are the ones that I have him read to me.

The things his teacher and I have came up with together has really made improvements for sure.

Did you decide to send your child to traditional public school?

empoweredmom
03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
HI, I've homeschooled my kids their entire life! My daughter is 16, my son is 11. Kids learn in different ways. Some are better with book learning. Some, like my kids, have always done best with computer/visual learning. We use Alpha Omega Monarch. When they were younger, we used Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning (http://www.time4learning.com), and Spelling Program | Spelling Homework | Spelling Help | Spelling Activities | Spelling Test | speak & spell (http://www.spellingtime.com). These are awesome!! They cover every subject and keep you up to date on your childs progress. I saw a new one today, haven't had any experience with it though, but it's abcmouse.com

Good luck to you! I've enjoyed having my kids with me at home all these years. We're a very close family and we've been able to have lots of laughs with our kids while instilling in them a sense of self worth without BULLIES!

jenryan9278
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
No I am homeschooling him. The best thing I have found that works for him is the Hooked on Phonics from the library. I checked it out again today and he is excited to play all the games. :) Thanks for the tips!

My son's kindergarten teacher at INCA has been great. I have started doing flashcards with my son adding new words each week. We go over the flashcards each day. We also do something called a Chant Chart at CA, this goes over the letters, the letter sounds, words that begin with that letter. We also do this on a regular basis as well. This has helped too. The flash cards has been a huge help!

I also read to my son daily. I have him listen to me read and then I get a book smller for his age and have him sound out the words and try to read them to me. They gave them small books with his school supplies and those are the ones that I have him read to me.

The things his teacher and I have came up with together has really made improvements for sure.

Did you decide to send your child to traditional public school?

freedompro
03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I found that my kids learn best with me just sitting down with letter flash cards and we practice the sounds that the letters make. I think the one on one with the parent and child really helps them to learn.

yvonnelisa
04-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I actually used Hooked on Phonics -- just because I bought it 18 years ago, before we started homeschooling. However, it's basic principles are sound. Consonant sounds, short vowel sound, long vowel sounds, other blends and variations. No big deal. :)

18 years... This program must be very great!

Lisa

blazing
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I didn't ask the original question, but I appreciate all the resources. I will check them out. I also have a 5 year old who wants to learn how to read. SHe is very different from her older sister so I wanted to check out different tools.

Thank you.

KeriBerry
05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
We use Time4Learning (http://www.time4learning.com)and Spelling City (http://www.spellingcity.com):)

HTH

LeahMomof3
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
this is an oldie but a goodie... My 4 year old is doing very well with this old orange book.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1