WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : 35mm Cameras

lorah
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
I am bidding on a Canon EOS 35mm camera on Ebay. So far I am winning at $20. It comes with a 35-80 lens and a bag. I am just wondering if any of you still use film cameras or if you think they are a waste of money and time. I have always wanted a film camera and until I become rich and famous, buying a high end digital isn't gonna happen. Thoughts?

AndrewW
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I am bidding on a Canon EOS 35mm camera on Ebay. So far I am winning at $20. It comes with a 35-80 lens and a bag. I am just wondering if any of you still use film cameras or if you think they are a waste of money and time. I have always wanted a film camera and until I become rich and famous, buying a high end digital isn't gonna happen. Thoughts?

I don't think they are a waste if you want to learn things. Though there's also the cost of the film and developing to consider.

lorah
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks Andrew. Yeah, I thought of the film and developing, but looking online it doesn't look too bad. Also, I think it's a toss up between the cost of film and developing and the cost of ink to print your own or paying someone to put them on disc or something. Thanks for your thoughts

TommyH
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM

I started with a film SLR. I would say for me it was cheaper up front but ended up costing me more over time. Reason was cost of film (different speeds, color, black and white) then cost to develop and print. My grandfather taught me how to develop and print from film when I was younger, but when I really got into shooting and learning more about the camera I didn't have access to a darkroom.

When I first started I would take the same shot 3-4 times, write down my settings in a small note book. This way when I developed them I could compare what settings I changed and what changed in the photo. Its not like you can just look through the image on the LCD, view the photo and all the settings. Always a great idea to take notes when you just start out so you know how certain settings will effect your photo.

It seems now days though you don't have to purchase the full roll of film from the developer. You can just pick your photos and only pay for the keepers. Some places though will charge you for all the photos unless it was an error on their part. So def look around when you go to get things processed.

I still shoot with a 35mm from time to time, but now I have setup my own darkroom. It is so much more fun to shoot film now for me then digital. The excitement of not knowing if you got the shot, did you have your camera setup right, then when you get in the darkroom and develop the film and print it. Its like Christmas morning all over again when you see that shot come to life.

I think shooting with film will also make you better when you switch to digital. When you shoot film you study and pay more attention to each shot when starting out. Instead of just pressing the button and taking 50 shots. Its easy to get 1 great shot out of 50+ but to get 1 great shot out of 5 or 10, that's so much better. Shooting with film does this, as you are more aware of your 24 shots that you are limited to on each roll. You don't want to be changing film and miss a shot. Or end up shooting 4 rolls and have to develop all of them for 1 great shot.

I just reread my post and it jumps around all over the place...sorry lol

lorah
01-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Thank you so much for your response Tommy! I have always wanted a good film camera and then was talked out of it. I have a point and shoot digital and I really don't like it, but I can't afford my 'dream digital' yet. It works and I have gotten some good shots with it, but I really love the idea of shooting with film. Initially, I will send out for processing but at some point would LOVE to have my own darkroom. I love your description of developing being like Christmas morning waiting for the shot to develop. I would really like to get serious and learn all I can and turn this into a business. But I also don't want to shoot people, events, etc. I want to just do scenery, outdoors, nature kinds of things. I just checked ebay and I am still winning the camera. It has 20 hours left. I lost out on the last one because at the last second someone outbid me. Grrrrrr. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Thanks again, I really appreciate your thoughts.

AndrewW
01-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Good luck, I hope you are able to get the camera you want.

lorah
01-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Thank you Andrew! Me too!

TommyH
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Lets us know if you win...Good luck on it.

For landscapes and stuff like that best thing is to try to sell at local craft shows.

AndrewW
01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Also for landscape type stuff a polorizing filter is a good item to have.

TommyH
01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Also for landscape type stuff a polorizing filter is a good item to have.

Plus one on the CP. Also if you are near the ocean or waterfalls you cannot go wrong with an ND filter.

lorah
01-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks everyone,
I didn't win :( I'll just continue looking there to see what else I can find. There are TONS of them and good deals are to be had. I'll let ya'll know if I win any of them! I'm making notes of all the suggestions for lenses etc. Thank you, I am just clueless about all this, but I will learn!

lorah
01-20-2012, 05:28 AM
What is a polarizing filter and an ND filter? I have a river on my property that I love to go shoot pics of.

AndrewW
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM
What is a polarizing filter and an ND filter? I have a river on my property that I love to go shoot pics of.

A polarizing filter helps to balance out the light between a bright sky and darker land (for example, certainly not the only possibility). ND = Neutral Density. Cuts down on the amount of light hitting the sensors in your camera, allowing you to do longer exposures.

TommyH
01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Neutral density like Andrew mentioned is for longer exposures in bright light. For example if you see those photos of rivers or water falls and the water looks soft but it was shot during mid day. Without the water would be frozen in time.

Some things you can do with photoshop, but I like being behind the camera instead of the computer so filters are great for this.

lorah
01-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Thank you both for your explanations! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I don't have Photoshop or any other kind of program. I prefer not to use them. I do understand that sometimes it is necessary though. I have heard of a program called GIMP that is supposed to be as good as Photoshop, but is free? Do you know anything about it? I've never seen it so have no clue.

AndrewW
01-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Thank you both for your explanations! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I don't have Photoshop or any other kind of program. I prefer not to use them. I do understand that sometimes it is necessary though. I have heard of a program called GIMP that is supposed to be as good as Photoshop, but is free? Do you know anything about it? I've never seen it so have no clue.

Yup it is free. That's the one I use. Though with a film camera you'll need to scan the images in or something first in order to use it.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (http://www.gimp.org/)

lorah
01-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Yes, I figured I would have to scan the photos in first. :) Good to know that it is a good program though. I will download it now that I know. Also, I am currently high bidder on a Canon Rebel XS. 18.50 and free shipping! I think the seller goofed on this one and might not understand how to list. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed AGAIN. I am also going to go to the library next week and see if I can find some books on photography. We have a little bitty library here but it's worth a shot.

TommyH
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Depending on how many people see that auction you could probably get an XS for around 300. Less if its not viewed by more.

There are lot of sites with good info on them. Google Creative Live and if you get time you can join one of the classes for free. They have a lot of good instructors teaching on lighting, camera settings, exposure, etc. I think they even have some videos that are older but you can still view.

Also google POTN. Its a forum like this but mainly canon users. Lots of great info there, comment and critique area, etc.

I have used GIMP before in the past and it is a very powerful program. I had access to Photoshop and that's the only reason why I moved over.

AndrewW
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I have used GIMP before in the past and it is a very powerful program. I had access to Photoshop and that's the only reason why I moved over.

Ah, Photoshop wouldn't even run here but don't see a need for it anyway, GIMP does a good job.

lorah
01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I lost the auction AGAIN :( Oh well, I continue to look. I will check out the places that were mentioned. Thank you.

AndrewW
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
I lost the auction AGAIN :( Oh well, I continue to look. I will check out the places that were mentioned. Thank you.

Too bad, hopefully you will find something good at a good price soon.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1