WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

LizJ
01-15-2012, 11:10 AM
I love photography and I've been told I'm good - but not good enough (yet) to be a professional -esp b/c I don't drive!!

Do you have any tips/advice?

shmerns
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
YES! Create a Facebook fanpage for free and post your best picture on the site for sale.

LizJ
01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok cool - i already have a FB fan page - Eliza Rain Photography - i started it a while back - but I am getting a SLR soon and would LOVE to get good photos! esp living in Florida

AndrewW
01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
There are a lot of places online you can sell art prints. Also there's the microstock sites. (Rather then duplicating in this thread see some of the other threads in this section of the forum).

Does depend on what you want to be doing. Try and find something you are interested in, could be wildlife, nature, sports, aviation and so on. That way you'll have more motivation.

Not driving can be a limit in terms of going out to take photography assignments, but doesn't mean you can't do some when you are somewhere and try and sell them.

Experiment with the camera, learn how to use the various settings. See what works for you.

Most of all have fun.

With digital there's no developing or anything so feel free to take lots of pictures to see what works.

TommyH
01-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Ok cool - i already have a FB fan page - Eliza Rain Photography - i started it a while back - but I am getting a SLR soon and would LOVE to get good photos! esp living in Florida

Where at in Florida?

As mentioned there are a few ways to get started, facebook, various online places to list your products (see other threads) and Microstock sites (I am usually against these lol)

Not driving does not have to be an obstacle. I actually would look at it as a plus. If you think about it when you drive you are speeding by lots of things and moving so fast you tend to not pay much attention to whats around. When you slow down and really start looking the world opens up and reveals so much. There are times I prefer to park the car in the city and just walk around you will see so much more.

See if you have a local camera club where you live. Where I used to live they did a photo walk once a month. It really teaches you to look at everything, you will be surprised the first time you walk around how much you miss, but as you watch others you will start to see more things to photograph.

What are you interested in shooting is another big thing that will guide you. If you are interested in landscapes or wildlife and live in a city. Yes not driving will hinder you but don't let it stop you. See if there is someone else in your city that shoots as a hobby, most of us are glad to have someone come with us.

Microstock (although I am not a fan of) might be a route for you to start with. Take photos of things around your house and submit those shots. Organize some fruit in a bowl, cook a steak and set the table, etc. Grab a doll and play around with your settings to see how each thing effects the shot, and how to compose a great shot.

Most of all just keep at it and have fun.

LizJ
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey thanks guys - when the tax return comes in next week I'll be ordering my 7d - which I'm very happy about (on payments too)

we are going to go to the beach the following weekend so that will be fun

I am in Kissimmee, FL - one thing I thought of doing was "park photography" being hired to go to the amusement parks and take photos for people (they will hire me for the day)
I see people with camera's all the time - they might enjoy someone else doing it

AndrewW
01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I am in Kissimmee, FL - one thing I thought of doing was "park photography" being hired to go to the amusement parks and take photos for people (they will hire me for the day)
I see people with camera's all the time - they might enjoy someone else doing it

Good luck with it. Hope that it works out for you.

LizJ
01-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks! I am not sure what I'll do - I am thinking that or home-birth photography

lorah
01-24-2012, 03:17 AM
Hi Liz,
Well, that is a pretty interesting niche! I never would have thought of home birth photography. I'm waiting for taxes too. I'm going to get a Canon 35mm. I have always wanted to work with film and am going to give it a try. Good luck to you and please keep us posted! I love to hear about what works for other photographers! There is alot of knowledge here.

TommyH
01-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Liz,

The park photographer thing how can you do that for a day? I live in Jacksonville so its about a 2 hour drive to Orlando, I might be interested in doing this from time to time if you don't mind sharing?

I know that Disney parks have their own photographers that they hire. Disney is ok with you taking photos of your own family, buildings, etc. As long as it's for non-commercial use (copyright and trademark infringement, also its private property when you are there and they have the right to ask you to leave if they feel you are not shooting as a hobby) They also frown if you are not a staff photographer and take people of guests with intent to sell prints later to those guests.

There is so much to photograph there just remember you cannot use it for non-commercial use unless you have permission to do so. Putting it up on a blog or something like that is ok, just cannot sell prints.

I know there is a pretty big market here for birth photography in the hospitals. If you are good with people that is a great idea to try to start in.

Best of luck

AndrewW
01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
There is so much to photograph there just remember you cannot use it for non-commercial use unless you have permission to do so. Putting it up on a blog or something like that is ok, just cannot sell prints.

Wouldn't that be: "...you can only use it for non-commercial use..."?

TommyH
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Ya, typo...lol

Trying to read today on laws and rights of photographers. What can be done with reselling prints of local sporting events, and so on.

lorah
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Let us know what you find out Tommy. It would be good information for all of us.

LizJ
01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
if I were to do a park photographer - I am 10 minutes from Disney (I hear the fireworks from here!) and about 30 from Sea World/Universal

and all season passes are pay by month not sure how exactly it would work - I need to look more into it but with the seasons coming up -

LizJ
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
OH sorry Tommy - my computer did not load your whole post! - well if I can't do it for a day - well then, oh well!

Working with a midwife or doula sounds more fun anyway - :) and a much better outcome!

TommyH
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
if I were to do a park photographer - I am 10 minutes from Disney (I hear the fireworks from here!) and about 30 from Sea World/Universal

and all season passes are pay by month not sure how exactly it would work - I need to look more into it but with the seasons coming up -

Don't know how the other parks work, but I know that is the way Disney works.

AndrewW
01-28-2012, 03:51 AM
The Adorama learning center could be a good resource:

Adorama Learning Center (http://www.adorama.com/ALC/)

They have some HowTo's available, interviews with photographs and so on.

lorah
01-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the link Andrew. Looks like there is all kinds of info on that site. Going to read some now!

AndrewW
01-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the link Andrew. Looks like there is all kinds of info on that site. Going to read some now!

Enjoy. Hope it proves useful.

TommyH
01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
OH sorry Tommy - my computer did not load your whole post! - well if I can't do it for a day - well then, oh well!

Working with a midwife or doula sounds more fun anyway - :) and a much better outcome!

Liz if you are looking at doing newborns, expecting mothers, etc. I would suggest to try to take the 3 day course at creative live next month. I am sure you will learn a lot from it. If you have time to watch it, if not they rerun it about an hour after the live session ends. It's free to watch online, or you can purchase it if you want to watch it again and again.

I just watched the wedding photography one yesterday (part 1 of 3) and there was lots of amazing info on natural lighting for weddings and portraits. Today will be dealing with strobes.

The newborn one you can register here: Newborn & Baby Photography with Sandy Puc | creativeLIVE (http://www.creativelive.com/courses/newborn-baby-photography-sandy-puc)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1