WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Choosing a Sponsor

AdAstraPerAspera
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Hey, all!

I'm new to this section (although I frequent the WAHM Who Write section), and I'm trying to get some information. I've browsed through the topics and TS's website, but I can't seem to find any information about the importance of a sponsor. How do you choose someone? I searched my address on the site and it pulled up sponsors in my area, but what is the purpose? What makes a good sponsor? How do you choose?

Thanks!

LynnAndreske
12-06-2011, 05:36 AM
What a great Q! In all my 18+ years in Direct Sales I honestly feel that this is a #1 overlooked area when starting a business. And it is important..so YEAH to you for asking =)
There are lots of personalities out there..some need lots of info, some need none..and some are in between.
Excitement carries many to just join up with anyone. Really, you need to take a few minutes and think about what you want from your business. Are you looking for FT, PT, Career? Is the product one you have a passion about, get truly excited about, want to share with everyone cos you just know it is awesome!! =) Sort of figure out how often will you have time for a business..how many nights per month/week can you dedicate to working your business.

A great sponsor will ask you those things, get to know you, figure out with you what your needs and goals are, and help you form a plan to achieve those..and help you adjust along the way. She will work with you!

You want to find someone who will meet your needs~really wants to grow a team, can share with you how she/he works, how she/he trains. Do you feel a click with her personality and style? There are many different teaching, working and business philosophy styles. So you really want to feel you have found your nitch. A meshing of your needs and what is being offered.

Consider if you need someone local or if a remote sponsor works ok for you. The most successful Tastefully Simple (or any DS business really) people have teammates all over the US. They have a system in place for keeping in touch, training, mentoring that helps their Nationwide teams thrive. A great thing about TS is that we all share, we are all willing to help everyone grow, whether we have personally sponsored them or not.
We have training on our Corp site, numerous call in opportunities each week, plus the personal training of your sponsor and your groups training calls, etc. as a resource for each Consultant that joins.

When you speak to others about joining, it is helpful to have your business desires list written down, and then ask the questions. You really are interviewing for a helper to get you going, a cheerleader to share your success, a sounding board to share your concerns from time to time, and a valuable resource of information to tap into as you become familiar, confident and comfortable. Here are some questions to ask.
Ask how you will make money,
How do you get started
What are the start up costs
what are the costs of doing business
What do I have to do to get organized
Do you need to carry inventory
Do you need to deliver things
What are the sales requirements if any to keep moving forward
What are the Sponsor's business goals and dreams, they don't have to be yours but you want to count on whomever sponsors you to be around!
How long has this potential sponsor been in DS, and in this particular business
What are the office hours so you know when you can call for help~you want to be able to rely on this Sponsor to be available when you need them.
Feel free to ask for references

EDIT: I just watned to add that you should not discount a newer Consultant just because she may be new..if she has a strong upline, they will help her help you!!
Hope that helps...Any of us here would love to help you Start your business if that is your wish...we are passionate about what we do..and love sharing =)
Please feel free to contact me if you enjoy would chatting further.

AdAstraPerAspera
12-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Wow! Fantastic information. Thanks so much! I will be in touch should I have any additional questions.

Sounds like a terrific company to work for. Thanks again! :)

littlejeannie
12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
My sponsor and upline have been terrific! Even though i am in NH and they are in another state, i do not regret signing with them! We keep in constant contact through FaceBook, email, training calls, phone calls, etc. I spent time getting to know her before i signed up and found her to be very knowledgeable and a geniunely nice woman. Her name is...Lynn Andreske!! :D

TastefullyMI
12-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Lynn's message was great. I would always suggest you interview a few potential sponsors with them knowing ahead that that's what you're doing.

You have the chance to pick whom you wish to work alongside and it's rare that we have those opportunities in life so take this chance and strive to find someone you can respect and enjoy the journey with.

Best to you!

AdAstraPerAspera
12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks to everyone for such wonderful advice! As it turns out, the first person I emailed who was closest to me has been most helpful. Should I search around for others still?

LynnAndreske
12-08-2011, 06:03 AM
How great that you could find someone so quickly.
If you feel she answered all of your questions, and you felt comfortable about how she will work with you, then you are making an informed decision.
If you have any hesitation, ask for references, and then ask questions of those you contact.

Best wishes!

nbfbaw
12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
:)That is wonderful that you have found someone you can connect with. It is so important to find a great sponsor to helpy ou become successful. Good Luck and welcome to the team.

AdAstraPerAspera
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, not only did she answer each one of my questions with paragraph-sized responses, but she also showed such enthusiasm! I have never done any type of direct sales before, and my biggest fear is not knowing enough people to have as customers. This is the one thing that is holding me back from taking the plunge. My sponsor said it would come with time, but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew I had X# of people lined up already! (Wouldn't that be nice?)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1