WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What's everyone doing?

AndrewW
11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
What sorts of things are you doing with your photography?

Microstock
Stock
Fine Art
Freelance work for hire? (Weddings, corporate headshots and so on)

Just thought this thread might give people an idea of types of things they might be able to do.

lorah
11-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Hi! I was so excited to see this forum! I thought the whole idea had just died and no one was interested. I have tried stock photography before and no matter what I did, my stuff was never accepted. So now, I mainly take photos of nature, landscapes, weather, that type of thing. I have some of my stuff on Imagekind, I am working on a website, I have a lens on Squidoo and a shop on Zibbet and Etsy. As soon as I get a bigger portfolio, I'd like to sell offline as well. I love photography but I like doing it on my own and not having to deal with 'personalities' in say a portrait setting.

AndrewW
11-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi! I was so excited to see this forum! I thought the whole idea had just died and no one was interested. I have tried stock photography before and no matter what I did, my stuff was never accepted. So now, I mainly take photos of nature, landscapes, weather, that type of thing. I have some of my stuff on Imagekind, I am working on a website, I have a lens on Squidoo and a shop on Zibbet and Etsy. As soon as I get a bigger portfolio, I'd like to sell offline as well. I love photography but I like doing it on my own and not having to deal with 'personalities' in say a portrait setting.

I tried not to let the idea die. The administration was nice enough to provide us with this section.

The microstock agencies have gotten pickier as there have been more submitting and such then when it first started out.

Same here I mostly take landscapes and the like.

As for a portrait setting, if trying to sell those for any commercial purposes there's also the need for a model release.

lorah
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
yes, you are right. Model releases would be needed. There are also property releases that I have read about. But I have also read that if you take the picture from a public area, you wouldn't need one.

Snapdragon11
11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I've just been trying new things, like new angles, etc. I do have a shop on zazzle.com where I make postcards from some of them. I even took a photo of my granddaughter and had postcards made for the family. I also had a poster of a scenery shot made. I have 8x10s framed and hanging on the wall to show them off. I have been thinking about stock, too, but haven't tried yet.

lorah
11-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I also have some of my images on display in 8 x 10 frames. I truly love looking at them. Motivates me to go shoot more!

TommyH
11-30-2011, 09:21 AM
I as well shoot landscapes/fine art, try to sell to the local crowd and promote my website. My main source though has been from my real estate photography and commercial buildings I shoot for businesses. Things are slow now but need to do more marketing this time of year.

I don't really shoot personalities too often, if I get a request and its paid I will take it but don't promote. Usually it comes to me about once every few months when someone shares their photo to someone else lol. Really want to keep it this way. However I know more money can be made, just not sure if its a right fit for me.

Glad to see this folder coming to life.

lorah
11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
I used to be a realtor and having someone shoot photos for me would have been wonderful. Pictures for the MLS really help sell a house nowadays. I'm really glad to see this folder as well!

AndrewW
11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I used to be a realtor and having someone shoot photos for me would have been wonderful. Pictures for the MLS really help sell a house nowadays. I'm really glad to see this folder as well!

Did that myself a number of years back when I sold a place up in Oregon. Took the pictures with my Minolta X-700. (film).

TommyH
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Ya, images help sell houses and having great images bring in that traffic. Right now its getting Realtors to use me, its a hard sell at times as I get a lot of I shoot my own. The ones I have done keep coming back.

bwright
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I just got into photography with some of my blogs so I'm looking at incorporating a lot of my image into my blogs. I also want to at some point start selling my work on some of the online sites.

TommyH
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Any one have any luck with High School sports? I was thinking of shooting some high school/little league type sports next month. Local baseball starts up sometime in Feb here. Was thinking of going to a few games, shooting from side lines with business cards and if anyone approaches give them a card to the site.

Maybe charge for file download or per print, just not sure which yet.

AndrewW
01-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Any one have any luck with High School sports? I was thinking of shooting some high school/little league type sports next month. Local baseball starts up sometime in Feb here. Was thinking of going to a few games, shooting from side lines with business cards and if anyone approaches give them a card to the site.

Maybe charge for file download or per print, just not sure which yet.

Haven't tried it myself, good luck with it.

Got a faster lens for those good action shots?

TommyH
01-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Ya I got a 70-200 2.8. Should be fast enough, just found one of the local universities as well that's a Division 1 university. So it looks like they will be extremely easy to get in to shoot some of their home games as well for baseball. Football and basketball are a little different of a story.

AndrewW
01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Ya I got a 70-200 2.8. Should be fast enough, just found one of the local universities as well that's a Division 1 university. So it looks like they will be extremely easy to get in to shoot some of their home games as well for baseball. Football and basketball are a little different of a story.

That should do the trick. Just have 5.6's myself, but then tend towards landscape type myself.

That should give you a good in there, which if they like your work could lead into the others as well.

TommyH
01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
That should do the trick. Just have 5.6's myself, but then tend towards landscape type myself.

That should give you a good in there, which if they like your work could lead into the others as well.

Ya, I would love to see it lead to more work lol. I have seen another photog shooting with a 5.6 but he only showed up for outside day games.

Wonder if we can start a thread for photo sharing? Haven't looked into the rules lately

AndrewW
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Wonder if we can start a thread for photo sharing? Haven't looked into the rules lately

http://www.wahm.com/forum/social-networking-link-exchanges-325/610023-graphic-design-photography-portfolio-networking-sites.html

TommyH
01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.wahm.com/forum/social-networking-link-exchanges-325/610023-graphic-design-photography-portfolio-networking-sites.html

I was thinking more of like a thread with the photo embedded. Like a thread, show your best seascape, real estate interior, sport, etc. With a photo on the actual post so you didn't have to click a link.

Just don't know if you can post a photo on a post and if so what the size is, or if you are allowed to embed the photo into the post vs linking it.

starbirdy66
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Size limitations are posted where they get added in the Pictures & Albums section under Networking in the UserCP area: http://www.wahm.com/forum/usercp.php.

Picture Limits
Pictures Remaining 60 (the total number any user can have)
Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels
Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.

You create an album and then add pictures that you would like to add to a forum post. After adding, there is a link to retrieve the URL or code you will need to add the image to your post.

Hope that helps.

TommyH
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Size limitations are posted where they get added in the Pictures & Albums section under Networking in the UserCP area: http://www.wahm.com/forum/usercp.php.

Picture Limits
Pictures Remaining 60 (the total number any user can have)
Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels
Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.

You create an album and then add pictures that you would like to add to a forum post. After adding, there is a link to retrieve the URL or code you will need to add the image to your post.

Hope that helps.

If we embed an image, are the dimensions and sizes the same? Instead of using the album that's provided by the board. So say if I have an image at photobucket or flickr, on some forums I can use something like [ img] the link to the image then [ /img]. Of course there are other codes that can be used to keep specify dimensions as well.

Can you point me to a thread with the rules or let me know what they are for embedding images on a post.

Thanks for all your help.

rbarrett68
02-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I also do mainly landscapes,flowers,macro and a lil bit of digital art also.Glad to see this section on here...:-)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1