WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Tutoring jobs for teens?

Hildebeest
11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Are there any online tutoring jobs available for kids over 13 but under 18? I have a young'un who is incredible at math (and a few other subjects) who has infinite patience for teaching younger kids, and who is saving for his first car.

HenryOrrin
01-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm trying for ones too. I'm 17 and looking to tutor kids in math.

mankatogirl
01-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Try googling "peer tutoring jobs". That may come up with some possible openings.

I don't know of any right off hand but if I do hear of any, I'll pass along the information.

Maria Lee
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm finding it difficult to find jobs for teens in tutoring. My son has exceptional skills in computers and maths and would love to teach others but hasn't seen anything advertised. Maybe putting an ad in shops might help?

mankatogirl
01-24-2013, 12:09 PM
My daughter is in the Gifted and Talented program at her school and on the school district web page, there are names of high school students who tutor. Maybe you could approach your gifted and talented department to put in a good word for your child. Who knows! It's worth a try. This is not online tutoring but face-to-face tutoring.

Good luck!

Infinity
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Don't want to revive a dead thread, but I was in this exact position a few years ago. Graduated HS at age 17, ranked #2 in my class. I was a National Merit Scholar and National AP Scholar (among other things).

I'm not aware of any business which hires teenagers under age 18, although tutor.com was happy to hire me as soon as I turned 18 and had proof of enrollment in a college program. It's a great part time job for an engineering major.

Infinity
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Chalksy.com is happy to take anyone over 13 - we don't hire you, but you list on our marketplace.

But what is the chance that someone will pay to take a class from a teenager? That's why I think it's better to find a job with an established company. You don't have to worry about finding clients (which takes a lot of unpaid effort). You can just work.

Aboo
04-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Are there any online tutoring jobs available for kids over 13 but under 18? I have a young'un who is incredible at math (and a few other subjects) who has infinite patience for teaching younger kids, and who is saving for his first car.

Have you tried MyLessonz dot com it's a free portal of Private Home Tutors

there is no age limit to teach! ;)

margewithwords
05-25-2013, 07:43 PM
My lessonz.com is active in like 5 cities, all of them arabic, such as Dubai. What a joke.

Chalksy is, shall we say... dead? Not alive yet, whatever you want to call it.

Why waste people's time with leads like that? :confused:

I have the same problem, btw, a 16-year old who is a whiz at math, among other things.

Maybe the best route is good old-fashioned one-on-one, eyeball to eyeball tutoring in the neighborhood... It's tempting to think it can be done online like so many other things, but the fact is, good tutors are in hot demand right there underfoot.

Infinity
06-30-2013, 07:46 AM
"Most employers look for people who are 18 years old to be their employee."

Yup, this is really the main barrier to getting hired. Most companies just don't want to deal with hiring minors, especially since in today's economy they could just as easily hire an adult instead.