WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Having trouble selling?

frugalmother
10-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I remember back in the day when I use to sell on Ebay, it was easy for me and generated a good amount of money per auction. Now it seems like it is much more difficult to do and not many people bidding anymore like they use too.

Is it just me or have other Ebay sellers noticed this?

Iowamomto4
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
It seems to go in cycles, i have seen quite a few Powersellers complaining on the Ebay boards about slow sales.

ybnegood
10-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Ebay is not the same ebay as a few years ago. Back a few years it was mostly "auctions" of people listing one of a kind, or hard to find items, or unique items. Now with all of ebays new fees, rules and regulations, and their push to offer "free shipping" (whatever, that is....usps don't ship for free for me) They have geared more to an Amazon like buy it now shopping board.

Many of the "power-sellers" are actually Sam's Club, Staples, companies going under a seller name
I just ordered some office supplies and it came direct from sam's club

Also, it is cheaper for someone in Hong Kong to ship a package to me in Illinois, than it costs me to ship
the same package from Illinois to Michigan (1 state away) so many sellers cannot compete with higher shipping costs.

Ebay now charges sellers a percentage of their shipping charges as another fee

when you chase away sellers, you lose customers that cant find what they are looking for........
martin

bfatboost
11-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey, I have been selling on Ebay for years now. Not on my own but for other people. I have recently started using Amazon for the merchandise that I have that is NEW in Box. And I am bringing more $$ to the business. Lower Fees and High Amount of Customers.:p

HotHomeBasedJobs
11-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think part of the problem is that there are way too many sellers out there, and not enough buyers. When I am interested in selling something, I first look for similar products and what they are selling for. I don't look for listing price, but the number of bids that have been made. If there are no bids on the item or a group of similar items, I don't waste my time on it.

And yes, eBay has gotten out of hand with fees, and yes, I have seen Chinese sellers sell stuff at prices so low that it makes no sense to compete. One thing to consider is to wholesale cheap imported products from a site like <strong>alibaba.com</strong> and then list them on ebay for a nice markup.

CrosswordLady
11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I hear more people are shopping on Amazon

mrswahm
11-08-2011, 08:53 AM
I totally agree with the above poster...I (we) have ramped up our Amazon sales over the last 18 months especially using fulfillment by Amazon (FBA).

Barbara Ward
11-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I want to start selling on eBay, but now I think I will try Amazon.

Thanks

Barbara

puppyluvx3
11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I too have experienced the down side of Ebay - not what it once was! And the fees are just crazy high!

Someone recently mentioned Amazon to me and I am not at all familiar with it. Of course I have heard about it, but never knew it was open to "regular" people selling. Can you sell new and used items and of all categories or just brand new? I am assuming it does not work as an "auction" style, but rather a set price?

I guess I should hop over there and check it out - Ebay is just not working for me!

nelram
11-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I too have experienced the down side of Ebay - not what it once was! And the fees are just crazy high!

Someone recently mentioned Amazon to me and I am not at all familiar with it. Of course I have heard about it, but never knew it was open to "regular" people selling. Can you sell new and used items and of all categories or just brand new? I am assuming it does not work as an "auction" style, but rather a set price?

I guess I should hop over there and check it out - Ebay is just not working for me!

I agree about ebay and I was thinking the same thing abaout Amazon. I went and looked around and it seems very confusing to me. I guess I need to spend more time on it.

vansusa1234
11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
sounds good

sasta10
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Ebay has changed over the past few years. I sold thousands of items on ebay for 6 years until ebay closed my account because of their policy changes recently. I had over 4000 positive feedback and they closed my account beacuse of only few negative feedback. I don't know how they work out their feedback scores but it seems not fare to close an account for only few negs as surely my 4000 positive feedback outweighs the negs. They told me that my seller performance is below standard. Their recent policy changes has affected many sellers including powersellers. It looks like ebay only listen to buyers and not seller and once your account is closed you can't do much. I am now trying to move away from ebay and sell on other sites such as etsy.com and ioffer.com. Other auction sites are not worth the effort as ebay dominates but the two sites I have mentioned are slightly different to ebay and I am achieving sales there. I have tried amazon but they are very strict as well. Thanks.

sasta10
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I agree about ebay and I was thinking the same thing abaout Amazon. I went and looked around and it seems very confusing to me. I guess I need to spend more time on it.

Ebay has changed over the past few years. I sold thousands of items on ebay for 6 years until ebay closed my account because of their policy changes recently. I had over 4000 positive feedback and they closed my account beacuse of only few negative feedback. I don't know how they work out their feedback scores but it seems not fare to close an account for only few negs as surely my 4000 positive feedback outweighs the negs. They told me that my seller performance is below standard. Their recent policy changes has affected many sellers including powersellers. It looks like ebay only listen to buyers and not seller and once your account is closed you can't do much. I am now trying to move away from ebay and sell on other sites such as etsy.com and ioffer.com. Other auction sites are not worth the effort as ebay dominates but the two sites I have mentioned are slightly different to ebay and I am achieving sales there. I have tried amazon but they are very strict as well. Thanks.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1