WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Can Ebay work??

puppyluvx3
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi all -

So I am new to this forum and pretty much at rock bottom, desperately needing to do something to generate some income from home, on my own schedule. Now I am posting here because over the years Ebay has been one of the only things that I have done and currently started doing again. My frustration with it is that I am really not selling much or making much money at all! I guess what it comes down to is having (or not having) the right items to sell. I have been focusing mainly on unloading lots of stuff that I already own (to save money and to clear out my house). I know sellers don't usually like to divulge too much info. on what they are selling for competitive reasons, but I am curious from any successful sellers...can you really make a living doing this? Just wondering if I should try to pursue this more and/or check out any other sites - amazon or any others??

Thanks in advance!

slgideon
10-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Ive been working on eBay for about 8 yrs now. I find you get what you put into it. If you want to make full time money you have to work full time hours. On months where I dont put much time at all into it I can still make several hundred dollars a month. When I focus on my listings and keep the number of active listing up over the 150 to 200 mark I make several thousand dollars a month. Yes it is about what you are selling, but its also about the write up and pictures, so presentation. I have 2 eBay stores, one I just recently started and the other has been working since about 2004 or so, before that I just bought and sold every so often but not as a business. eBay offers all sorts of online tutorials, I teach women (primarily) how to set up and get started on eBay.. another business that came from being a successful seller. Check out eBays free tutorials, there is room for ALL of us on eBay, its a 24/7 world wide market place.

Sheryl

puppyluvx3
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks Sheryl for your input :)

After posting last night and then having a few auctions end with no bids, I was very frustrated and ready to accept that this will not work for me. I get very down when nothing sells :(
I do not list nearly the amount that you do - I think 30-40 listings is a lot! Maybe that is part of my problem? (although the fees must really add up when you list so many items!). Other than that...I do actually believe my listings are fine - I take a lot of photos, use nice templates, detail descriptions, etc. For this reason, I do not think I really need the tutorials...I guess I just really don't know what I am doing wrong? I don't mind saying what it is that I sell - since I used to work in the corporate world and was a "shopaholic", I have a lot of new (or nearly new) ladies designer clothing & accessories. I also live near a great outlet mall. This is why I thought I could actually make a living with this - I figured these items would be good for Ebay, but hence I am here at this forum looking for some work-at-home ideas.

slgideon
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
It doesnt look like you are doing anything wrong to me.. it does make a difference in your starting price AND the number of auctions you have going at any one time. Do you list your items at a fixed price ie: buy it now? When you list in your store the fees are very very low, not like the active auction fees... the item lists for 30 days or until you cancel it versus the usual 5,7 or 10 day auctions. A trick to this is to list a few things as active auctions and put the rest in your store with good store categories so people visiting your store can easily browse your categories and see what youre selling. This cuts way down on your listing fees.

puppyluvx3
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I was going to drop you a PM, but not sure how to do that on this forum??

I do list both auction style and sometimes BIN or Best Offer, depending on the item and the price. At the moment I do NOT have a store, so I guess I am paying the higher fees (which are killing me!). Maybe I should look into opening one up. At some point I thought it was more costly running a store, but maybe things have changed.

Would love to chat more with you, but again...not sure how to go about doing that from this site...let me know & thanks again! :)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1