WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

MikeReed
09-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Do you dropship your items or stock them? I use a dropshipper but am wondering if it's profitable to keep more inventory at a location and ship from there? What overhead costs am I looking at? What do you guys do?

slgideon
10-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I do both. I myself prefer to have the inventory on hand but thats just me. If you have a garage in your home (or an unused bedroom) you have a place to store your merchandise. I have a warehouse but thats due in part to closing my antique store a couple of yrs ago and keeping a lot of the inventory to sell on eBay. I have mentioned this in other threads but will again, you can get all of your shipping supplies for smaller items free through both eBay and the USPS, they will ship it directly to your home and USPS will pick up items you sell right from your front door at no charge (not sure if its actually free or if my mailman just likes me, he comes back at the end of his route and takes my packages) If you have no storage space drop shipping is a good route to take, youre out nothing basically, you collect the money when the item sells, pay the drop shipper what you owe him and he does all the shipping and it looks like it came directly from you. Both ways can be highly profitable.

bfatboost
10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Inventory is really good to have on hand. I have found a really good site Boost (http://www.storageunitauctionlist.com/boost/template.php). They have good quality items at good prices.

spifty1
10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I've had a look at dropshipping on ebay but all the places I can find stock dont offer the type of profit margins that make it a worth while venture. Do have a few places that you regularly get stock from?

mrswahm
10-09-2011, 07:14 AM
We do both, but honestly, I prefer dropshipping. Less hassle with getting items ready to ship. I'll take the lower profit

purenatural
10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Just starting to get into drop shipping. HELP!

Iowamomto4
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
We do both. We offer different quantities than some of our manufacturers offer, for example they might only offer a case of 100, but we want to sell a 10 pack. Or we might get free shipping to us if we order $500 so we bring it in and split it up and send it ourselves. I like putting my hands on it. If a customer orders a certain amount we have deals where they drop ship for free so we choose that and keep our inventory. We also go to buying shows and place big orders there when the discounts are cheaper. Now even though we drop ship, we NEVER buy from drop shippers. We only buy direct from the manufacturer themselves or one step below at the distributor level, never any lower, you can't make as much profit. I have drop shippers call me all the time to get me to use them. We make twice as much buying direct.

HotHomeBasedJobs
11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
One problem with drop shippers is that your reputation is on the line if the shipper either is out of the product or tells you that it was shipped but it was not. Your customer won't be sympathetic if you are having problems getting them what they want, and you will get plenty of negative comments.

Do research on any potential drop shipper you are planning to use before using them!

D&RGroupInc
01-30-2014, 04:41 PM
If you sell on eBay or Amazon I may be of some help We stock a large inventory of general merchandise and will work with you on a 50/50 split of sales

vivianpos
04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I do both. Some items I have in stock, some I drop ship. I'm very selective with my drop shipping partners though.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1