WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Maternity Leave length

madisonbags33
09-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey ladies! How long did you or do you plan on taking off for your maternity leave?

starbirdy66
09-04-2011, 02:47 PM
The first time around, when I knew I was going back to work, I did the 12 weeks family leave because I had a preemie. The thing that was annoying was that I couldn't take 6 weeks maternity plus 12 weeks family. It seems the family leaves just allows you to have up to 12 weeks total off.

That is why when I had my second and was high risk, I just decided not to go back to an office, and became a stay at home mom to have our last two kids. Then I became a WAHM.

Amy Jacobs
09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I only had to deal with that one time for my oldest child (I only took 6 weeks) and went back to work :( I cried everyday after I dropped my son off at daycare thats when I decided to be become a WAHM.

madisonbags33
09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
But did any of you take time off from your wahm job? I joined Madison Handbags as a consultant about a year ago so I could take 2 years off from my teaching job (which I plan on doing) but now the hard part is figuring out how long to take off from doing parties. I've worked so hard to build my business and I'm a little worried about losing my momentum. I also love doing the parties so I want to plan to get back into it fairly early but I'm worried about taking on too much too soon.

starbirdy66
09-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I decided to start freelancing after my last was born so I didn't have that decision to make, but if I did I would say, pick a reasonable time frame you are comfortable with to be off from work. Make it at least between 6 to 12 weeks. Have a deadline set and put it on your calendar for when you will go back to work.