WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Amy Jacobs
08-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I named my son Tristan (Legends Of the Falls~ Brad Pitt character) Rhiana (Stevie Nicks song I am a HUGE Stevie F.A.N)

How do you pick?

mommy2onelittleboy
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I named my son Devin and it was actually a name my stepdaughter mentioned. At first I wasn't a huge fan because it wasn't what I picked out, but after I gave birth and looked at the little man all the questions of the name being correct fell into place. I knew right then that he was a Devin.

*In*2*Win*
08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
After family members and friends :)

Bonnie
:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

5525carin
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Gianna my husband picked out.
Tia I picked out.
And Vincent Valentino we both picked.

greybell
08-27-2011, 08:25 AM
I am currently 39 wks pregnant, its a girl.

Her name is Vera Margaret. Margaret is a namesake and I wanted a simple, classic early 1900's name to go with it.

Design by the Pixel
09-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm having a little boy and I always loved the name Liam. My bf wasn't sold until he found out the meaning. I middle named my kids after all the grandparents.

~Johanna

More 4 Mums
09-24-2011, 09:25 AM
It is so difficult to decide on baby names, I tried to avoid the most popular names so they would be unique once they got to school !

ParentingCoachLisa
09-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I got names from nearest relatives and historic people.

KayMaxim
10-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I took a lot of time so that it not only sounded good but had some really nice meanings. For instance my son's middle name is Gabrielle because it is an arch angel and his dad's name is Michael which is an arch angel too. I wanted to name his after his dad but I didn't want to give him his dad's name. I wanted to give a thumbs up to my son's own unique personality.

nbfbaw
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
My husband and I went through the baby name book and the only name we could agree on was Niko. So that settled it. :). We did not have a middle name picked out yet but the say he was born was also his grandfather's birthday so that is how we ended up with his name. With out daughter Breann we both wrote down 10 names and the first one we came to that was the same on both of our lists.

Supermomlb
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
My first son I came up with it from a combination of his Dad's name.

His dad's real name is Shanta but goes by Shaun so we flipped it around and made it Tayshaun.

My second his name is Kaelum. I originally saw it as Caelum which was the main character in a book I was reading "The hour I first believed" by Wally Lamb.

I thought that would be cute and just changed the first letter.

doll8401
11-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I went thru baby books and wrote down all the names I liked then figured out what sounded good with the first name I picked. I didnt pick her spelling until after I had her and they came in and asked how to spell it and I just blurted out a spelling which somehow came real close to my dads. Her name is Haylie and my dads is Harlie.

ParentingCoachLisa
11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Just this day, I'm studying the scriptures and I went on names in Biblical history. I've came up to many names. Some are modern and some are not. Just a combination. I love the choice of my husband which is Susquehannah, and I would like to add the second name Mischa to make it Susquehannah Mischa. :)

blingangel
11-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I am having a dilemma with names, I can't seem to find my husband or I can agree on. We do not know what we are having, but if it is a boy the name is already chosen by tradition. However we do not have any girls names.

I have a very unique first name, and do not want to put my daughter through what I went through growing up. I love that I have never heard anyone with my name and most people comment on how pretty it is however, it would be nice not to have to correct people, spell it each time, or have to explain how I got the name. On the other hand, I also do not want my daughter to have a super common name either. So not so unique that no one has ever heard it and not so common that I know 14 little girls with the same name (like Isabella).

So I am 4 weeks out from my due date and have no ideas. :confused:

ParentingCoachLisa
11-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I am having a dilemma with names, I can't seem to find my husband or I can agree on. We do not know what we are having, but if it is a boy the name is already chosen by tradition. However we do not have any girls names.

I have a very unique first name, and do not want to put my daughter through what I went through growing up. I love that I have never heard anyone with my name and most people comment on how pretty it is however, it would be nice not to have to correct people, spell it each time, or have to explain how I got the name. On the other hand, I also do not want my daughter to have a super common name either. So not so unique that no one has ever heard it and not so common that I know 14 little girls with the same name (like Isabella).

So I am 4 weeks out from my due date and have no ideas. :confused:

How about Trois Adams?

only1clickaway
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
We don't know what we are having yet but we have the names picked out already:

If it is a boy, Colton Steven. Colton I just hear/saw the name somewhere and loved it. Steven as the middle name because my husband and his father's first name is Steven.

If it is a girl, Annalise Marie. My middle name is Ann and we are thinking Anna for the first name but I wanted to add something with it so Anna can be the nickname. Marie as the middle name because my mother and mother-in-law's middle names are both Marie.

EcoConsciousMom
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
When we named our daughter Whitney we decided after a few things. We always loved the older fashion names; Madison, Abigail, etc. But when we became pregnant they were all so popular we avoided them.

We went through a baby name book and Whitney got our attention. We forgot about it until talking to my mom. She mentioned that my brother would have been Meagan Whitney if he was a girl. That reminded us about Whitney.

We looked to see what it meant and Whitney means "white island" or "from the white island." I love the beach and even though she was born in the snow :) we loved it. I think is was number 536 in popularity at the time, so not popular.

If our next child (not pregnant) is a girl we love the name Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon, and I'm from Icelandic decent.

Brianne

mamawriter
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Very creative ways of coming up with names here!

My son has his dad's first name as his middle name. So I named him Nathan to go along with that.

My daughters were all named after family members or some vairation of their names.

"Marisa Arline" is after two aunts named Maria and Lisa and Arline is a grandmother.

"Claire Robin" is after a grandma Clara and my first name.

"Danielle Renae" is an aunt's middle name and my middle name.

freedompro
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Funny thing Amy, we named our first daughter Rhianna after Stevie Nicks too! Plus I am of irish descent and wanted it different from the Celtic Rhiannon. Anyway, her middle name is Siobhan, which means God is great in gaelic. We spelled it a little different too.

Our son is Caleb after an Old Testament soldier who was ever faithful and trusting of God and an excellent leader. His middle name is Wesley after his dad who shares the same middle name.

Caleb's twin sister is Kayla (we honestly did not hear the similarity in the names until after they were born and named ;) ) She was named after the little girl my sister adopted, who was then taken and returned back to the birth mother after a long court battle. And Kayla's middle name is Lauryn which is my sister's name, Laura, and my middle name, Lynn put together.

wyobusiness
03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
My ex named our son (the first) David Wallace. My father and his father are both named David, and his grandfather was Wallace.

My daughter is Katja Marushka, after my husband's aunt and grandmother, respectively. Our son, who is due in May, will be Pauviel Mikhael after my husband's grandfather and deceased brother. His grandparents raised him until their death, and by all accounts they are very worthy people to remember. He never really got to know his parents, but of biological family his aunt was the closest to a mother he ever had aside from his grandmother, so the choice was easy ;). I never really set out to name my kids after family members, but turns out they all ended up that way :P.

AmberR
03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, went through the baby name books several times and my husband and I just couldn't agree. With both my son (Austin) and daughter (Brielyn) we agreed and decided those would be their names!

We are pretty happy them the way it worked itself out! Can be stressful and a huge responsibility to find that "just right" name! :)

KAREbiz
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
For the first name we mostly picked names we just liked. We alternated. My husband would pick one, then I would pick one, but we both had to like it either way. My mom named the last one because we couldn't agree on anything =) The middle names are mostly family names. My maiden name is one sons middle name. My husbands middle name is another sons middle name, etc...

Krystle512
03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
We just picked names we liked for the most part. I did look through names online to see if anything jumped out at me. We did use my husbands middle name as my first sons middle name since it is also my husbands fathers middle name too.

VibrantHealth
04-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Made up my first daughter's name. My husband fought for rights to the 2nd daughter's name. Not one I would've chose!!

hersh0501
05-06-2012, 06:32 AM
I pick my names where I base it on the first letter of my name and my husband's name.

Mommee
05-06-2012, 10:21 AM
I am 26 weeks and having a boy. His name is a little unique. Ny'shur Douglas Superior Brown. He has he name no one else will have, his professional name and his sports name:)

lovemygirlies
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I picked my first daughters name from the book Midnight by Dean Koontz. I just loved the name Tessa. We chose our youngest daughters name just because we really like the old worldliness of it. Abigail.

Happy Sunday!

Christine :)

yummum
05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
It was pretty easy for us as we name our children after our parents but you can always add an extra first name...which we did by picking up the names of our favorite saints.

Easy as it may sound, we still hadn't decided on my son's first name for up to 2 weeks before he was born. If you are stuck, do a quick Google search for baby names and you should get some interesting (and some weird) ideas.

I would not be surprised if a baby born this summer is called "Olympics .....

KaysonsMommy
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I did sone research for different names!! We didn't want to have the "typical", "common" name!! So, when we were pregnant with our now almost 2 year old son, we had the name Railey Anne chosen for a girl & Kayson Lane for a boy! Well, ended up being a boy so we got our Kayson Lane!!

I am almost 8 months pregnant with our 2nd child & we are having another boy! We are naming him Brentley Cole!! I originally LOVED the name Bentley, but with the Teen Mom, it's gotten so popular & he said he was not going to name his son after a car!! LOL! So, I just added an "r" to it & that's how we got Brentley!! :p

skinnybodywraps
06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I wanted something unique and something along the lines of American Indians.

I ended up with Sierra Cheyenne and Hunter Dakota. LOVE my kids names!

Michaelangelo Flores
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I dont have any kids yet, but I tend to like names that sound good in their full, but are easily shortened into decent nicknames.

For example, my name can easily be shortened into 'Michael'.
I have other friends that have these kind of names like
Amelia = 'Amy'
Sarina = 'Sara'
Martelle = 'Marty'

etc. etc.

They sound good and unique in their full form, but its easy to make nicknames that make sense out of it.

KamaWilson
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I made up my three girls' names because I didn't want cookie-cutter kids names :) So the girls are Tamalyn, Tifonna, and Lahana. Then, since I couldn't be creative enough to come up with a boy's name, we went with Lakota for our son. Some uf us just HAVE to be different I guess! lol

KorneliasMom
09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
After my daughter was born my hubby said: Kornelia :) I liked it and we have a 2 months old Kornelia. If it was a boy we would named him Leo - not from Dicaprio:P

ChooseOrganic
09-06-2012, 08:15 PM
When I had my daughter I knew I wanted a 3 syllable name to go with my one syllable last name. Plus I picked a name that I knew was the name of a strong woman public figure.

1athomemama
09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
For me mine just came to me and fit. It's amazing i didnt have to use the name book or anything. Online searches are also helpful.

happymommyandwife
09-16-2012, 08:20 AM
My husband and I spent hours online trying to find a name that really meant something was beautiful! We fell in love with the name 'Isabella' which means 'My God is bountiful. God of plenty. Devoted to God.' Plus, it sounds like an awesome name for a princess!

CrystalMK
09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I picked Alexis, Brianna and Jacob. Just names that I came across in a baby book and my husband agreed on them. I really wanted to pick Janelle but he did not like that one.

MrsBMW
09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
My husband and I were reading the Bible one night and I saw the name "Sarai." It just stood out to me. I said then, when I got pregnant if it was a girl, that would be her name.

When God blessed us and I found out I was pregnant with a little girl I stuck with my decision...it just fits.

fullofhope
09-22-2012, 09:01 AM
my husband wanted to pick emma. i didn't like it at first and we couldn't agree on a name but when i seen her chubby little cheeks and her face i knew she was an emma lynn. although I did originally secretly had Hannah picked out, I guess it just came to be as soon as she was born.

ThelmaC
09-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Family names have always been important in my family. In fact, the name Jacob has been in every generation since the early 1800s.

ThelmaC
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Here is an article that I wrote about Choosing a Name for Your Baby:
Choosing a Name for Your Baby - Popular Baby Names Today Compared to 100 Years Ago (http://thelmac.hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-a-Name-for-Your-Baby-Popular-Baby-Names)

Please vote for the best baby picture in the article and feel free to leave a comment to tell my readers the names you picked for your babies.