WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

SocialMediaWAHM
07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
How do you get work done when your kids are home on vacation? I have an 8 year old and her best friend is a permanent fixture here so she isn't just sitting in front of the tv or computer all day long...

Aviva B
07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
I do go in to an office two days out of the week, so the plan is that when my daughter doesn't have daycare any more, my husband will take those two days, I'll put in a very long day there, and then make up the rest of my hours on the other three days during the time when she's napping or asleep for the night. I hope it works...

AmyBu
07-26-2011, 06:18 AM
How do you get work done when your kids are home on vacation? I have an 8 year old and her best friend is a permanent fixture here so she isn't just sitting in front of the tv or computer all day long...
Can you make your office mobile? Take them to the park, the library or the pool.

MMShell
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
When our kids were home I used to work around their schedule as best I could. I also arranged for them to be entertained with friends or go to friends homes.

I had a hard time working when the kids had friends at the house because they wanted to go swimming and I knew my concentration had to be on watching them in the pool.

Last resort was working when my husband was home. We were fortunate that at the time all the kids were home he worked shift work so it was not so difficult in the summer time.

Amy Jacobs
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
my kids play play outside, swim, jump on the trampoline while I'm working on my laptop.

Freelance_Mom
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I encourage my 10 year old's budding desire to "hang out in her room." I also try to stop and give her a bit of time, cause when I do she's better about giving me the work time. I also try to make her part of the whole work apparatus. I told her she was my apprentice yesterday and that meant she was part of the overall income building machine of the household, just like in ancient times. She liked that (my daughter is a geek like me). I also sat her down and explained some of what I was doing--she liked my short picture session on "multiple streams of income" vs. "one stream of income." It's not perfect, but for the most part it seems to work out!

socialbookstatus
08-03-2011, 05:19 AM

With a water proof Computer for the beach!

Stacy Moore
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I usually hire a teenager for a few mornings each week and then go in my office and close the door for those precious four hours. This gives me some solid work time while also allowing for afternoon fun and the occasional day trip. The kids love it because they love the girl I hire.

keeee691
08-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Night Shift LOL

insightfulmommy
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow - I have been wondering how other people do this all summer long!

I feel so guilty working when my kids are around.:(

I am sitting here now during naptime, but once they are up - I do not get on again until they are asleep.

I work mostly at night and log about 5 hours, till about 2 or 3am.

Exhausting but that's just how it works out, plus I am a night owl, so it's all good!

Mommy Mentor
08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll let them do some really cool yet simple to do science projects that can occupy their time for hours so I can do some work in a peaceful environment ;)

QuarktheCat
08-07-2011, 10:58 AM
It's all about balance!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1