WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

M.V
07-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I hope no one minds, but I'm in need of some reassurance from people who are actually doing it. I've been working for the article mills for several years and, frankly, I'm getting really burnt out. A friend of mine sells things on Ebay whenever he has a moment, and says he averages around $300 to $400 a month. So I'm just curious, if you were to sell in a dedicated sort of way, is there a possibility that it could become a full time living? Thanks so much in advance! :D

carla_easley
07-19-2011, 12:46 AM
There are a lot of people who actually make a living by selling on EBay. I'm not one of them but there are plenty of power sellers that open up Stores on EBay and do it full time.

lorah
07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
I absolutely believe that it is possible. I am just re-starting so have nothing to report about actual sales, the few things I listed didn't sell, but I am not a quitter. I don't believe it happens overnight but with commitment and lots of listings I think a person can do it. I personally know people who have made upwards of $20,000 a month.

ncgirl3608
07-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Not enough to make a living, but I know about two years ago when I was actively listing items on Ebay, I was making about $300-$400 a month. I got busy writing and doing other things. I'm getting back into listing things again and am going to use my Saturdays to start looking for things to list. The hunt was always fun! I would like to do it full-time, but right now it's too risky so going to start off with a few days a week or a weekend to see how it goes while doing my transcription and writing.

Erin

rosegrower
07-25-2011, 01:17 PM
You need four things to go full time, from what I can tell:

1-Steady flow of products to sell
If you're selling your kid's 4x clothing, after a while you'll run out, and then what? You need to be selling all year and you need to know where you're gonna get the stuff from.

2-Volume
If you put up one auction a day, that's not going to work unless your daily auction is a diamond engagement ring worn by a celebrity. Powersellers, from what I've seen, put up dozens if not hundreds of auctions a week.

3-Demand for what you're selling.
Do some research to find out what will sell, so you don't get all ready to sell notepads on ebay to find that a notepad hasn't sold on ebay in 3 months. And, that's part of the reason demand is so important, if you have 100 auctions up and you sell 2 items, that's better than having up 2 auctions and selling 0.

4-A profit from every sale
If you're selling vintage dresses, don't spend $20 on a dress if you aren't SURE you're gonna get $40, or at least some profit.

M.V
07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi! I'm sorry for not responding sooner -- got called away. Thanks so much to everyone for your responses. I think I'll start slowly (with several auctions a day as recommended ;) ) and work my way up. You guys are the best!

lorah
07-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Keep us posted with how it goes for you! Best Wishes!

CammiB
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I've been selling on ebay off and on for years now. I think anyone can make $300 - $500 a month with an honest effort and some researching into which items sell. It would be very hard to make a full-time living without money to invest, a great marketing strategy, and many hours to devote to getting your business going. It's a process that takes time, but it's not impossible. Best of Luck!!!

mrswahm
09-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, there are a bunch of people/companies making a big income on eBay. It's harder than it used to be, but still possible. Check out Skip McGrath, I know him personally...he has been making a living on eBay for years

Sell on eBay - eBay Tools and Tips, Selling Online, Wholesale Products (http://www.skipmcgrath.com/)

Renee

shellybelly
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
I sell on ebay... I have an ebay store and am working it back up to 300+ items... I am planning on doing this full time and making it our second household income. I would love to help you get going. Let me know if you need any help. I am making around $100 a week now and my goal is 300 and more a week. The sky is the limit as far as I am concerned.

jesslyn
09-10-2011, 02:15 PM
How much are you targeting when you say full time living? Like $3-4/month?

That's definitely do able, but you will probably be selling some high priced / high margin items, like electronics. I have a lot of friends who frequently buy products from deal sites that are significantly discounted... then they sell them on ebay, making at least $100 a sale. However, none of them do this full time, but it certainly can be scaled to a full time living level.

ybnegood
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Do your research before you start selling.

Try to list whenever ebay has a free listing promotion
consider all costs associated with your listing
ebay fee - paypal fee- shipping cost - packaging cost
factor in a returned item expense
(if the customer really decides he doesnt want your product, he can lie to ebay and force
you to give a refund including the original shipping expense)

Consider listing on several auction sites at the same time
bonanza.com
ebid.net

are two examples of Lower Fee auction sites

Source your products carefully - consider their cost - your shipping charges to get the product
and % of damaged goods

I did about $1200 in sales last Christmas on just one small $2.00 item
but usps has raised postage recently and ebay now charges fees on my shipping expenses
so it's much harder this year than last

latenightcoffee
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been selling on ebay for 14 years....you COULD make a living...but you have to have a great niche, access to inventory, and time to devote to selling/listing/shipping.

I write a blog on things you can buy at thrift stores/garage sales/auctions that you can sell online. I show things that you might not think are worth a lot of money. TONS of readers...TONS of input. Worth visiting if you are interested in the business. www.latenightcoffee.wordpress.com

Design by the Pixel
09-16-2011, 09:51 AM
It is possible but takes a lot of dedication. I used to make a living selling auction templates on eBay until they banned the selling of digital items. :( Thankfully I had built up a good client base so starting my own website wasn't to bad.

Good luck!

~Johanna

beachsand
09-25-2011, 11:41 AM
How many people sell things they buy first hand(used in thrifts, etc...) as opposed to buying and reselling new or drop shippin?

LRCI2010
10-16-2011, 08:07 AM
The key to making good money with Ebay is purchasing at a very low cost. The fees you incur from Ebay can kill profit margins.
Buying in quantity so as to offer very low pricing and high turn over is essential. "Power Sellers" order items by the 100's even 1000's.
Understanding manufacturing cost and allowing a decent mark up, you can sell many items Walmart sells for 20-40% of the price found at Walmart and still make 100%+ on your money.
It takes research, reliable suppliers, knowledge of consumer trends, knowledge of the product you are selling, and patience.

You will be competing with some of the most knowledgeable salespeople around.
They did it, so can you!

mrswahm
10-23-2011, 06:36 AM
My husband and I have been buying box and pallet lots of department store shelf pulls (new, undamaged items) and reselling on eBay for years. This works great because as most of you know....big name brands sell the best on eBay.

Started out with clothing, but have moved to other types of items like tools and general household merchandise.

Iowamomto4
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
My husband and I make a full time living at it, but we have a stand alone website in addition to Ebay. We have the same stuff that we do on Ebay, just at a lower price. I think as others have said the key is time and organization and access to some good niche items. You really have to get the shipping part down because an incorrect price can kill your profit. We try to only sell items with an endless supply so we don't to constantly do new auctions, we just relist. We are Power sellers and sell probably 3-4k a month. Thats not what we make after costs, we get more people that buy on our regular website and we prefer that. We do visit auctions and garage sales and also pick up items to resell if things slow down, those are our big profit items, but they take the most time.

dreed
10-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I am not saying this is going to make you good money right now, but you should keep an eye on Big Value Depot. With everything that is going on with this company and the low listing fees and no final valuation fees - ever, it will be a great alternative to Ebay in the near future once they build enough listing clients, and since they are offering 5 free listings now and a webstore for only $14.95 per month that includes 50 listings per month, I am sure within the next year this will be a great pace to sell anything online.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1