WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

ncgirl3608
07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Has anyone sold antiques or vintage items on auction sites such as Ebay or others? If so, how are your sales? I tried this awhile ago and may get back into doing it for extra income. I love antiques and such, but there are no jobs here in regular B&M stores for this. Considering picking items and placing these on Craigslist or Ebay. Anyone?

lorah
07-16-2011, 06:21 AM
I don't do this regularly, and I would love to, but just recently I listed 10 different vintage, collectible items and nothing sold. I relisted them all once and still nothing. I know that people make money doing this though. I know people who were VERY successful with this kind of business. I know nothing about CraigsList but I've sold on eBay. I think that it probably depends on what you are selling too. And it only takes one person to come along that just has to have what you are offering. Good Luck!

Hugalicious Ragdolls
07-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I picked up some lovely old bits and pieces from a deceased estate a few months ago, and finally listed a vintage timber switchboard box. It was going to be used for a model train set, and I thought this would be a very collectible item.

I started the listing a .99cents, and thank goodness it didn't sell, I would have been really disappointed to let it go for that much. I had one watcher and was hoping they weren't going to be the sole bidder.

Not too sure what to do with the other items, I have a pre WWII Hoehner harmonica, an antique brass lampbase, some really old first edition books, a couple of old manual typewriters and Ansett playing cards. I would rather keep them myself than let them go for next to nothing. If I decide to list them, I will be starting with a much higher start price, or sell as buy it now.

tigerlily
07-18-2011, 04:34 AM
I have sold vintage items and used fixed price instead of auction. My sales were pretty good. I am actually getting to list some vintage items that I recently acquired. I refuse to give anything away at auction and the serious buyers know that you mean business.

Hope that helps!

ncgirl3608
07-18-2011, 04:43 AM
I have a couple of things that I listed about a year ago. Some did surprising well, some didn't. I would love to work in an antique shop, but none are hiring. Trust me, I've applied to everyone within a ten mile radius! And there are lots near my house. So I figure I may try to list on Ebay again. Do any of you use any other auction sites or Craigslist? Anyone watch American Pickers? Love that show!

Erin

lorah
07-19-2011, 11:03 PM
I wish I could tell you of other auction sites, but I really have no idea. I just wanted to respond to your comment about American Pickers! That would be a dream business! I would LOVE to do that! Going through everyones cool stuff and turning around and selling it! I think I would have a hard time turning loose of some of it!

Lora

ncgirl3608
07-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Out of curiosity I looked at allcraigs and a few other sites to see if anything about pickers. Nothing for antique stores hiring, but tons of ads for pickers. Mostly for online sales. Also three of the stores I had emailed to see if they were hiring emailed me back and told me that their store sales were down. I also joined a large antique forum and apparently the large amount of people were buying things at estate sales, yard sales, thrift shops and re-selling via online, which tells me the demand is still there, just in a different avenue. I listed two things a few days ago and put them on three day listings with higher start prices than what I did a few years ago and both have bids. I think I have been bit by the listing bug again!

This is my plan though, which I only have the luxury to try out on weekends. I think I need to branch out though and go to estate sales, yard sales besides thrift shops. I also noticed that one of the antique stores near me had HUGE discounts on some of their items and might be worth looking at a few of the cheaper things like 50% off to see if worth putting on there. I need to get a guide to antiques. I have an art degree and can tell you anything about art and some antiques that sell, but only a few. Either way it's a start. Sorry for the novel!

MelindaJ
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
If you really want to make some extra money on Ebay you should consider selling vintage toys or current toys that are popular. Here are some examples of popular toys you should look for at stores like Goodwill or garage sales, legos, doll houses that have all of the furniture and dolls and Loving Family Doll Houses is one brand that sells really well on Ebay right now, disney girl dress up clothes, Thomas Trains and sets and so much more. You can visit my blog that I just started about selling on Ebay at ebaysellingmom | Just another WordPress.com site (http://ebaysellingmom.wordpress.com/) Please let me know if you need any more advice about selling on Ebay :)

CammiB
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I have started selling vintage/antique items on eBay. I also listed a couple of items on Etsy and have sold two items so far. I love to go to estate sales, and that is where I buy most of my items. I look for unusual items and for very old rare and out of print books. I always take my phone and do an eBay search to see if the item is in demand and what it is selling for. I took a risk a couple weeks ago and spent $125 on a first edition set of Harvard Classics. I sold them for $250 on eBay within a week. I think they were worth much more than that, but my target are those who buy to resell.

Some items I have found to be good sellers…toys, video games, action figures, homeschool books, rare and out of print books, vintage christmas tree skirts and old working electronics (radios, etc). I'm working part time in an antique shop full of beautiful glassware, lamps, knick knacks, and such. Sad thing is that so much of this type of stuff is on eBay and is not selling well. I also shy away from things that would break easily because it's a hassle to pack them.

I would love to own a business that sets up and does estate sales. That would be a dream come true to me!

rosegrower
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Just want to thank MelindaJ and CammiB for actually naming items they've seen sell.

So many successful sellers are very quiet about what they are selling and where they get it. Thanks guys!

ncgirl3608
07-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Cami, you have my dream job working part-time in an antique store. We have a lot here, but unfortunately they are not hiring. Trust me, I've practically offered to work for free LOL. The last two things I listed on Ebay did very well. A Weight Watchers Calculator, not an antique obviously, I purchased new. But if you find one at a yard sale or thrift store, by all means get it. I paid $5.99 for it new and sold it for $15.95. The other thing was a porcelain folk art trinket box that I figured would do well. I paid 0.75 cents for it and sold it for $13.75. Not a bad profit on either one. Things I have sold for a lot more than I paid for them are silverware (paid 0.80 for eight pieces of old silverware and sold for $80 for all of them), vintage pocketbooks, jewelery and vintage slips. Although not antique, anything Harley Davidson always go well. I started selling my old HD shirts thinking who would want them, but apparently the older the better. Always sold.) I haven't listed a lot though since last year, except for those two last items, but am planning on starting back up on it. Just have a huge transcription project that is hogging my time LOL. But have to pay the bills. Anyone else sold something interesting?

MelindaJ
08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I hope my information helped :) I don't quite understand why people who are good sellers on Ebay would not share their information on where they buy items. I know many people who sell on Ebay successfully buy their items at consignment stores and garage sales. That is no special secret. I enjoy helping people sell on Ebay. Please check out my blog because I have some really good information about how I sell on Ebay.

Just want to thank MelindaJ and CammiB for actually naming items they've seen sell.

So many successful sellers are very quiet about what they are selling and where they get it. Thanks guys!

sasta10
08-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Vintage and collectable items are one of the best things to sell on ebay but it has to be something really good. The profit can be huge if you have the right item. I have been selling collectable on ebay for the last 4 years and the return has been great. One item I bought once for £7 and sold it for £125, thats a good profit. With collectable you can make money quick by selling just 1 item or few items. Thanks.

slgideon
10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Ive been selling antiques and collectables on eBay for several yrs. YES they sell! Its hard to name just a few things but English collectables and antique/vinatge items are very popular. Vintage or antique European linens are popular and can be picked up at nicer estate sales, English teapots and china also do very well for me, old cups and saucers from anywhere sell. Small pieces of furniture (and Im talking small) such as stackable table sets where they slide into each other, vintage glassware, vinatge Fiesta ware, especially certain colors... there is room for ALL of us on eBay, I actually teach women how to get started in eBay here in my area and yes I tell them what sells. The person that mentioned vintage toys was right on, look for old train sets from Lionel, old Jonn Deer trucks etc...movie posters, Star Trek collectables.. seriously I can go on for DAYS!

Good luck everyone!!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1