WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : About earning money crafting....

a_friend
06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi,

I see lots of posts about trying out this craft company or that craft company to make money and some finding this one or that one a scam. I know that people are looking to make money at crafting and it is possible to do. I have done it for a few years now working for a few companies.

Everyone has their own experience with craft companies. One may get approved with one company and are able to produce units and get paid while another person tries the same company and can't get approved so to them it's a scam. The thing about these companies is that they are looking for their product to made uniform by all assemblers. Also not every craft is for every person. I do very well with jewelry making, clay sculpting, light sewing, and macrame. So for me to try to get on with a company where I'm going to have to make picture frames would be out of my league. This is just something to think about when you are looking at craft companies...What are your best crafting skills and does the company you want to try fit your skilld?

If you don't know what crafts you are good at or enjoy here is an idea...Go to a craft store and look at the craft kits. This will take some time as there are usually many kits avaailable. Pick out inexpensive kits that really grab your attention or look like something you would really really like to try. Purchase a few of the ones you are most interested in. Sometimes you can find kits in the clearance aisles. Take them home and make some time in your day to plan to start to work on them. See which ones you really enjoy and which ones you can assemble well. It is also good to have a critical eye. Maybe ask one of your friends who you know will be honest to look at your assembled crafts and give their opinion. If they think you did well with it then you know that craft is for you. Once you know where your skills lie then you can start looking at craft companies to work for. It's cheaper to buy a craft kit at a craft store then to spend the money of some of these starter kits that these companies offer only to find out you are not able to complete it to their standards.

And one final note on crafting and making money. Rather than spend the money on these companies what about starting your own craft business? This is not as hard as you think it might be. You can sell online and you can sell locally in your area. Getting started online is in my opinion the easiest. First you will of course need to design your product(s). Start out small with selling. Maybe try Ebay, and there is Etsy. A Google search will also help you find places to sell. Do your reasearch. Just like there are scam companies there are also scam websites. If you don't want to start online you can have a home party, try gift shops for selling your crafts, and there are always craft fairs. With some thought you can come up with many places to sell. I just landed a contract with a company that surprised me when they accepted my offer. Starting your own craft business is not that hard, just start out small and don't expect to make a hundred thousand dollars right off because unfortunately it won't happen that way but if you keep at it you can make a nice income. And who knows maybe one day you will be looking for crafters to help with your business. ;)

This is just my two cents worth and I hope maybe if nothing else it will give some of you something to think about. I look at how much money some of these companies charge for starter kits and with the economy the way it is.... Well you all know the rest.

Good luck to everyone in their endeavors. :)

tinkerB
06-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds like great advice! Another perk of the crafting kits is you might find something you really love to do and something you want to learn more about! Thanks for the advice!! :D

a_friend
06-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Exactly and it's cheaper to try your hand at craft kits from the store than spending the money that some of these craft companies charge for starter kits.

You have good advice too! Thank you for adding to this thread. :)

fiberfolly
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I do not know what it is like in any state but Washington, but in order to sell anything HERE you have to have a federal taxid and a local business license, which cost more money than these starter kits. Then you have to collect sales tax and and send it in, and if you are not good with paperwork, it is a good idea to have an accountant handle all the book work. It is just not worth it to have your own business unless you are going high volume. Working for Rets or NEC, you are an independent contractor. Yes, you have to pay income tax on what you earn. That part is easy, but all the other crap and expense of the the business license is a real pain in the neck. In Washington state you do not have to have a business license if you are an independent contractor unless your income exceeds $12,000 a year. These are reasons why these companies are appealing to me. I just want to make a little extra money making things and do not want to be bothered with all the business involved.

a_friend
07-13-2011, 08:09 AM
I do not know what it is like in any state but Washington, but in order to sell anything HERE you have to have a federal taxid and a local business license, which cost more money than these starter kits. Then you have to collect sales tax and and send it in, and if you are not good with paperwork, it is a good idea to have an accountant handle all the book work. It is just not worth it to have your own business unless you are going high volume. Working for Rets or NEC, you are an independent contractor. Yes, you have to pay income tax on what you earn. That part is easy, but all the other crap and expense of the the business license is a real pain in the neck. In Washington state you do not have to have a business license if you are an independent contractor unless your income exceeds $12,000 a year. These are reasons why these companies are appealing to me. I just want to make a little extra money making things and do not want to be bothered with all the business involved.

You need to look more into this because you are talking about a regular business. There are different types of businesses that have different rules. I have a cousin that lives in Washington and runs a home based business and did not need any of those things. She has been in business for 10 years now so I think if she would have needed those things she would have found out by now.

fiberfolly
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I had an etsy store selling hand dyed yarn and i sold 3 skeins of yarn and had the department of revenue after me to pay them the sales tax, and my city revenue people after me to pay for a city business license, which is an annual fee. I had already spent $75 for my Tax ID license. It got too crazy and complicated to make it worth my while. If you never get the stupid Tax ID (federal) license they never know you are selling stuff and can do it under the radar, but in order to byy wholesale supplies I needed that Tax ID. Now that I know I can't legally sell without all the rigamarole, I can't, in good conscience sell anything myself, even if I don't agree with the stupid laws. A kid can't even have a lemonade stand without a permit anymore and is reqired to pay taxes on the income.

wahmbamtymam
07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I had an etsy store selling hand dyed yarn and i sold 3 skeins of yarn and had the department of revenue after me to pay them the sales tax, and my city revenue people after me to pay for a city business license, which is an annual fee. I had already spent $75 for my Tax ID license. It got too crazy and complicated to make it worth my while. If you never get the stupid Tax ID (federal) license they never know you are selling stuff and can do it under the radar, but in order to byy wholesale supplies I needed that Tax ID. Now that I know I can't legally sell without all the rigamarole, I can't, in good conscience sell anything myself, even if I don't agree with the stupid laws. A kid can't even have a lemonade stand without a permit anymore and is reqired to pay taxes on the income.
That's just ridiculous. I can't believe they can cause so much trouble for such a little thing like that. I wonder when your going to need a tax id license for garage sales. insane!

tweetykiss
07-26-2011, 07:48 AM
That's just ridiculous. I can't believe they can cause so much trouble for such a little thing like that. I wonder when your going to need a tax id license for garage sales. insane!

Ditto!!!!!

a_friend
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM

pffff don't believe this but to each their own. as i have said i know of someone working from home in the same state that has been doing quite well and working for a number of years and NEVER had any problems.

UnitedMommy
09-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks so much for the advice a_friend. I feel the same way about the crafting companies. Is it worth it to pay their fees if I'm not good at the crafts? My husband and I tried the Reindeer from NEC years ago, and after 3 attempts at approval, we gave up. It was too small for us to get it just right.

I have been thinking about selling on Etsy and Ebay, since I make reusable snack bags, unpaper towels, and cloth diapers from home all the time. I've sold to family and friends, but wasn't sure if it would be too difficult to get started on my own. I think I'll look into this now. Thanks! :-)

purenatural
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
all kinds of great information here. I tole paint and sell at the local gift shop. Not a lot just here and there.

carlrobinhood
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
I feel the same way on different characteristics of the company. Is it worth to pay their tuition, if I am not than how to start your own craft business, these companies spend money craftsRather? It is not difficult, because you think it might be. You can sell online, you can sell in your local area. In my opinion the easiest entry line is.

Capron2012
01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh a friend I wish I could start a business. I have been a SAHM for 8 years now. I am only 31. There is NOTHING that interests me. I spend so much time googling sites that will help one find out what they are good at so that someday I can get involved with a career but i find nothing! The ONLY thing I am good at and LOVE is CRAFTING. I am heavily into paper crafting. Anything i can make out of paper: flowers, sculptures, etc.I have tried selling my stuff on etsy and craigslist but no bites. I get likes but no sales. Craft fairs are so expensive if your scarred your gonna flop! I'm just so lost but thanks for your post!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1