WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Best Place to Sell Collectibles?

vintagelife
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi, I am a stay at home mom and I am also new to this message board. I just started a forum for collectors which is free and members can post links to there auctions or other ads if they want. I was thinking maybe, I should sell some of my collectibles on an auction site and put direct links to the auctions on my collectible forum. What auctions are the best for collectibles? Thanks :)

bidStart
02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
You have several options. I work with one of the options--bidStart.com.

We're a collectibles-only marketplace that's been around since 2005. We have over 4 million different listings in every type of collectibles category.

We also have an ebay sync feature that lets sellers who have an ebay store already copy over all their inventory and keep it in sync on both sites with no risk of selling duplicates.

Another big benefit is that, being focused just on collectibles, we're smaller so we're more involved with our sellers and the buyers. It's a much more friendly atmosphere. For motivated sellers we also have an array of tools to help them sell reliably on the site regardless of their specific category.

The costs are minimal. We don't have listings fees like ebay and the final value fee is much lower as well.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rich Heimlich
Director of Marketing
bidStart.com
856-857-1777
[email protected]

Rona
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi
Even though the fees are higher I still think that ebay is the best place at the moment. You could also try etsy.com. Etsy is a marketplace for vintage and handmade items.

In the long term it would be a good idea to set up your own website to enable you to build up your own customer base.

Hope this helps
Rona

bidStart
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
On the issue of your own website let me point out a few things:

1. As I represent an online marketplace it's no surprise that I'd have a view that's leans away from this but, for what it's worth, I had the following views long before working here.

2. The customer base is always your whether or not the sales are on bidStart, ebay, Etsy or your own site. It's just a matter of keeping your own database of your customers. If you take PayPal, for example, you can download your customer history at any point.

3. Everyone talks about running a website and they make it out like it's a breeze. Creating, maintaining and growing a website is a major endeavor. It's why marketplaces exist and thrive.

4. Growing the traffic on a site is a huge undertaking. Sites like ours spend lots of revenue of advertising to make sure all our sellers items get top views on search sites. Doing that for yourself means having to go up against the likes of ebay to make your listings stand out against services with much bigger pockets.

5. Services like ours spend time every single day looking for ways to improve our site, our tools, our reach. It's what we do and like the other marketplaces there's a reason this works. Most people simply do not have the time, money or interest in putting that much into it. It's a classic partnership model. We do many deals with partners because they're experts in areas we aren't and can do things in those areas far more efficiently than we can. Partners are good things and, in these cases, the marketplace is a wonderful partner for sellers.

All of that said I do believe every seller should have some form of website. It's a good tool for letting people know your policies, your history, your details beyond what's covered on a marketplace but when you start talking about setting up a full-blown store then it gets complicated quickly. Just keeping inventories in sync is a headache most people have no interest in dealing with.

jillupdike
03-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Antiques and Collectibles sale is not as easy today as it was years ago. Among the saturation of the market economy, prices have fallen in much of our stuff. Things are very rare and hard to find, you can still bring good prices, but the problem is finding the right place to sell.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1