WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : best place to sell?

nbfbaw
01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
My husband may be losing his job and we are trying to come up with some way to make extra cash. We have thought about using ebay and craigslist to sell some of the stuff around our house. Are there any other sites you may recommend. I am a little nervous with ebay with all their fees. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks:)

ybnegood
01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Ebay is still # 1 in the auction/buy it now business. You have to be smart about listing on Ebay.

Wait until they have Free Listings (right now you can list up to 100 items for free)

Pad your shipping a little (handling charge is allowed) to help cover the final sale fees.

Be smart about shipping (get a scale, get light-weight shipping packaging)

And don't print shipping cost on the label if you're charging more.

Blujay.com is free to list and free to sell, but not a lot of traffic yet.

With Spring/Summer coming up, you can check into selling at Flea Markets, or finding a neat item
to resell at festivals or other events.

good luck to you
martin

SOUTHERNGIRL
01-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I have two stores on ecrater. Everything is free. Free store, easy to set up, you can post up to 10 pictures, free. No insertion fees, no final value fees. You can have your customers pay you through Paypal or Google checkout. Pretty cool site, check it out!

carla_easley
01-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Wow! I didn't even know about ecrater. Thanks so much for sharing :)

nbfbaw
01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Thank you for all your advice I will check it out very carefully. Thanks again

adm73
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
It's a good idea to look completed items up on Ebay to see if something is worth posting. There are quite a few Ebay alternatives out there. Ecrater and Blujay are definitely worth looking into. There's also one called Bonanza, but I didn't have any luck with it. I am hearing good things about Your High Bid since it has new ownership, but it's in early stages. Most Ebay alternatives are free to post and very reasonable if you sell.

Good luck.

jillupdike
03-03-2011, 03:44 AM
From my experience, I must say that Amazon rates are minuscule compared with the rates of Ebay. There is no fee for inclusion in the Amazon, but on Ebay they charge you as soon as your list of things for sale. Both have final rates if your item is sold.

Unkle_Jessie
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Speaking from personal experiences, I have sold off and on at ebay for several years, and it's always been hit or miss based on what I'm selling, I too have a store on ecrater, and while it's neat, I have had no luck there what so ever, may be what I have listed or course, on the other hand I don't think ecrater has a whole lot of traffic compared to some of the other sites as well. Last week I set up with Amazon and by far to say it's been great is an understatement!! I listed some of my wifes textbooks and with in 24hrs had my first sale, with in 72 had 2 more sales, and so I listed a lot of other items I had at one time listed on ebay and BLAM.. sold 1 item that I previously had sold on ebay for $44 (BUYER NEVER PAID!!!) for $85 and to top that .. for that item I had THE LOWEST price on Amazon!! Amazon is awesome in my opinion. I was just at UPS shipping some items, couldn't wait to get home and confirm the shipping and check my payment account. I still have my ecrater store, just not sure what I'm going to do with it if anything at the moment, right now Amazon is the place for me and I would highly recommend!

James

Senua Gifts
04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I've had good luck on Bonanza and I havn't been there long......

Ebay is still # 1 in the auction/buy it now business. You have to be smart about listing on Ebay.

Wait until they have Free Listings (right now you can list up to 100 items for free)

Pad your shipping a little (handling charge is allowed) to help cover the final sale fees.

Be smart about shipping (get a scale, get light-weight shipping packaging)

And don't print shipping cost on the label if you're charging more.

Blujay.com is free to list and free to sell, but not a lot of traffic yet.

With Spring/Summer coming up, you can check into selling at Flea Markets, or finding a neat item
to resell at festivals or other events.

good luck to you
martin

Hugalicious Ragdolls
04-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I have been selling on ebay for about 6 years now, and have tried selling on other sites also. I stick with ebay now, as it is the biggest, yes they have fees, but you get all that traffic that you won't get elsewhere.
Also, to keep your fees down, don't go buying any of the features like 'bold' 'highlight' etc. The only feature that is a must is the gallery photo.
Do you know what you are going to sell yet? If you have low/no feedback, start with selling unwanted things from around the house to build your feedback.

Good luck with it, if you have any questions, ask, there are lots of helpful people here :)

cheers
Angela

MarMacGillivray
04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Here's another eBay feature if you live in the UK

We've grown a lot since then through word of mouth and we're proud to say that Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com) is loved by its rapidly growing community. We now cover 60 cities across 6 countries - the UK, Ireland, Poland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa - and are the UK's biggest website for local community classifieds including flat share, flat rentals and jobs. More than 25,000 new rooms are advertised a month, which means at least 10,000 rooms are rented a month through Gumtree. We now have more than one million visitors every month.

USFreeads.com is another place to post a free classified ad - you can even refer people to your eBay auction :)

sexygogreen
04-12-2011, 07:42 AM
One vote for eBay from me.

dreed
04-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I still have to say Big Value Depot is the best option. You can list free to get you going and they have an outstandin gaffiliate program for those who wish to expand their earning potential. They even have the option of your own webstore for $14.95 a month and you can list anything legal from a deck of cards to a mansion and add videos. All included in one small fee. Support is top notch and there is never a final valuation fee. Yes still smaller than Ebay, but growing rapidly. Check them out at http://www.freelistingdepot.com if you want to see what they are all about.

Simone St. James
05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I've never heard of ecrator, thanks for sharing that. ebays fee's can really dig into the bottom line.

Jason L
05-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Ebay is a great marketplace because of its traffic. But since you say you are nervous about its fees you may try to work as Ebay Seller Assistant first: you can sell other peoples items
using your Ebay ID. This way Ebay initial listing and final price fees are to be paid by your contractor (person whose items you are selling).

We are quite experienced in this industry and have lots of partners who are willing to find Seller Assistants.... So if you are interested you are welcome to contact us anytime.

CammiB
05-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I have to put a plug in for eBay. I listed 10 items and in 7 days 9 of the 10 sold. A few items sold far above what I expected. Yes, their fees are ridiculously high (in my opinion), but to me it's better to pay the fees and make a little money, than list items for free on sites that don't produce sales, and make no money. I have items on Etsy and have had no luck...yet. :)

dreed
06-11-2011, 06:14 AM
If you want to step into the online auction industry and make some money you can try it completely free at Online Auction Site BigValueDepot | The eBay, ubid, and ebid Alternative Where You Can List 5 Free Listings or start your own webstore! (http://donsvaluedepot.com/). List any 5 items free and see how you like the site. Never a final valuation fee.

Takuyah
06-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Ebay is a good place to start, as mentioned traffic is better.

However keep your options open to other smaller sites.

Another site you can try is ioffer.com (http://www.ioffer.com).

Listing is free and you only pay when your item is sold.

Good luck.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1