WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Competition?

LNDDistributor
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Ladies,
Scentsy is one of two companies I am currently looking at. I live in Canada in a very small rural area, and about 35 min. from the nearest Walmart. What is holding me back from Scentsy right now is the fact I found out that Walmart sells knock-offs that are half our price, with about half a dozen choices in scents. I actually found this out by googling Walmart online. I use to be part of a company that sold products that could be purchased in our local stores even though the quality wasn't nearly the same as ours, but needless to say, people didn't care because they were still cheaper.

My concern is that I'm going to run into the same with Scentsy, maybe not right away, but I feel they will certainly bring up that fact once again, except this time, with the warmers.
Have any of you run into this issue, and if so, how has this affected your business, and what would you suggest?
I LOVE the concept of flameless wickless candles, but if the average consumer is not going to be concerned about quality, I'm afraid it might affect my business in the long term. I appreciate any and all feedback!
Deb

christyvw2004
12-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Deb,
Hello up north. I am in MN myself and in a town small and 30 minutes from walmart---Walmart has been no competition for me. Once people see our warmers (walmarts quality is no comparison) and smell our scents my gals have been hooked. I know prices are alittle different in Canada but here in the states our bars are $5 and the scent time that our customers get with that have them hooked---here again walmart cant compete...sure they may try them from time to time...but they see how good are product is. I have been selling for alittle over a year and have been told by some---they will never never go back to candles...and noones scents last like ours. Not sure what providence your in but Scentsy has only been in Canada since Oct 2009 so you could really get in at the beginning of what I think you will find could be a great success for you. If you have any other questions feel free to email me---we could even be neighbors :)
https://christyv.scentsy.us

comforthaven
12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi Ladies,
Scentsy is one of two companies I am currently looking at. I live in Canada in a very small rural area, and about 35 min. from the nearest Walmart. What is holding me back from Scentsy right now is the fact I found out that Walmart sells knock-offs that are half our price, with about half a dozen choices in scents. I actually found this out by googling Walmart online. I use to be part of a company that sold products that could be purchased in our local stores even though the quality wasn't nearly the same as ours, but needless to say, people didn't care because they were still cheaper.

My concern is that I'm going to run into the same with Scentsy, maybe not right away, but I feel they will certainly bring up that fact once again, except this time, with the warmers.
Have any of you run into this issue, and if so, how has this affected your business, and what would you suggest?
I LOVE the concept of flameless wickless candles, but if the average consumer is not going to be concerned about quality, I'm afraid it might affect my business in the long term. I appreciate any and all feedback!
Deb

Hi Deb,

I'm in Canada and I've been with Scentsy for one year. In that time, I've not had anyone compare our warmers with any other warmers,Walmart or otherwise.

That's not to say that some people won't make that comparison, but they'll change their minds after they've seen a Scentsy warmer.

If you love the concept of wickless candles, your target market will be people like you who also love wickless candles and beautifully decorated hand crafted warmers, certainly not the knock-offs in Walmart.

jessicaj
12-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Hands down, Scentsy has a much better quality product. No competition here. In fact if someone asks, I have told them to try Walmart's product. They always come back. Not only do we have a better product, but Scentsy has a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect and 30 day returns on everything else. Can't say that about the BIG W!!
Don't let it scare you!

kelfr25
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree... their wax (like that of the ones at Walgreens) smells cheap and waxy. Ugh.

emily3247
12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I have to agree, I'm in the city (a small one) and there are 4 Walmarts within a 20 minute drive. My customers have even bought the products to try, but still like Scentsy better. Hands down - no competition! :)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1