WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Wanting to join Scentsy

Mom514
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi all,
I want to join but have a few questions that may have already been answered, so sorry if I'm asking again!
How long does it take to get your kit?
I want to begin in January, but do not know if I need to sign up in December to do that? or does it start automatically?
Also, do you know of any sign up specials so that maybe I should wait?
And when do the new catalogs come out, I think I read somewhere in February, so I'm worried about being sent a bunch of catalogs that are about to be "old" if I wait til January.

And here is a sensitive one. I met the rep when she came through my job dropping off catalogs. I've asked her about selling it, but didn't really seem interested in signing me up. Should I approach her again? or just go with someone else?
I've done direct sales before but never succeeded as the people I signed up under weren't very motivating? and I'm wanting to be a part of a good team from the get go!
Any help is appreciated!

lovemygirlies
12-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi! I was just wondering what exactly scentsy is? Is it a candle company? Perfume? Either way good luck! :)

Also, I would go with your gut instinct. If the you called and talked to the rep who dropped off the catalog in your office and it seemed like she did not want to be bothered with you then how do you think she is going to act when you need help or advice in building your business. IMO (for what it's worth!) :)

Happy Holidays!

Christine

Mom514
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
hi Love,
It's an awesome product. I don't know if you're familiar with tart burners? Well, I buy the candle melts from Yankee Candle all the time, but they are pricey and don't last that long. Scentsy sells the burners and the melts at very affordable prices.
I don't use candles anymore as I'm afraid I'll leave them on, so I have several electric burners and then I can leave them on all day even when I'm not at home.
I'm just worried about not using her, my boss buys Scentsy from her, but if I start selling, then she'll buy it from me and not only will she not be my sponsor, but I'll have taken a customer from her.
I had asked her for more information and she said she'll get back with me but never did, and that was weeks ago.
I guess I want a sponsor who wants ME to succeed, as it helps them too in the long run!

lovemygirlies
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
That sounds wonderful! :) I Love candles but I do forget to blow them out sometimes so I can see why that would be a good product to sell!

I understand where you are coming from. You could always give her one more call and see why she never got back to you first and tell her you want to be a rep. Maybe she does not want you to be a rep because she is afraid you will take her business from your office! Just remember, you are going into business and you need to make descisions that will benifit you in the long run! ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Happy Holidays!

Christine :)

jessicaj
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
I want to join but have a few questions that may have already been answered, so sorry if I'm asking again!
I want to begin in January, but do not know if I need to sign up in December to do that? or does it start automatically?
And when do the new catalogs come out, I think I read somewhere in February, so I'm worried about being sent a bunch of catalogs that are about to be "old" if I wait til January.

And here is a sensitive one. I met the rep when she came through my job dropping off catalogs. I've asked her about selling it, but didn't really seem interested in signing me up. Should I approach her again? or just go with someone else?
I've done direct sales before but never succeeded as the people I signed up under weren't very motivating? and I'm wanting to be a part of a good team from the get go!
Any help is appreciated!

Good Evening!!
It's so neat to see each of your excitement about Scentsy! I would love to share more with each of you!
I'm glad to see that you are doing your homework before joining... smart move. Sorry to hear about the less than exciting response from the other consultant. Some people don't want to build their team, and that is ok, but there are plenty of us out here that are more than happy to help someone succeed!
Just to answer the questions that you have...
Starter kits ship very quickly with new consultants receiving them in about 5 business days (just curious, where are you located?) Your ability to start working your business begins right when you sign up. You have immediate access to your workstation and personal website.

As far as the catalogs and sign up specials, they will be valid until March 1 so that would give you a few good selling months to utilize the current catalogs. In the past they have had kit enhancements during transition months (which would be February) but that is not a guarantee. Not only that, but in those transition months, NEW catalogs are discounted for current consultants. I would say if you are ready to go... go for it!

I hope this info has been helpful and I look forward to visiting with you soon!

I am going to pm you too...

christyvw2004
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Christine,
Scentsy is such a great product...and I sure would not pick a sponsor because I felt like I had to...Pick someone whom wants you and that your comfortable with. A good sponsor won't determine your success--but it sure helps to have someone who can answer some of your questions along the way and pat you on the back now and then. I have a great sponsor and she is over 4 hrs away--she always does her best to try and answer questions I have or help me with problems I have had along the way.
Lots of us girls on here are always wanting to add to our teams. I am in MN--not sure where you are. I would say if you are looking at signing up in January be thinking of when you want to host your launch OH and/or letting gals know your going to be joining and see if you can't get a few OH's setup in prep for when you sign up. You can start selling the day you sign up-and will have your kit usually within a week. Good luck . I know christmas is just around the corner and scentsy is a great gift to pop under the tree.

LAscents
12-06-2010, 11:19 AM
**They are shipped via UPS ground from either Lexington KY or Idaho, whichever is closest. They try to get those out within 24-48 hours and have been doing a bang up job getting kits out the door.

**You can start whenever you're ready.If you sign up in December, then you can put your starter kit on 2010 taxes. If you wait to sign up in January it'll go on 2011. When you launch/start your business is up to you. You could get your kit now, in December and plan a launch date in January if you wanted to.

**No Scentsy doesn't offer any sign up specials as generally companies that do that, do so because they're in a recruiting slump and need to offer incentives. Our starter kit is only $99 and you get more than double the contents for that, so it's a great deal and we haven't had to entice people to sign up. If any consultants offer you a sign up special, they are in violation of our policies and procedures and I would be leery of signing up with someone who either chooses to ignore rules or didn't bother to read them. That includes monetary or gifting of products of any kind. We may not offer ANY incentives to join.

***March and September. Historically anyone who signs in the month immediately prior to a catalog transition gets both sets. You'd never get old catalogs, always at least the current ones.

***It's entirely up to you. But since you asked, I wouldn't approach her again and yes I'd go with someone else. You cannot switch sponsors once you sign up so you should treat this as if you are interviewing different sponsors and you want to find the right one. Don't go with the person who is closest or the first one to contact you. This is an important decision so I would highly encourage you to spend some time researching different sponsors.

emily3247
12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I sent you a PM and answered your questions in detail, but it looks like everyone here did a good job. The only thing I'm thinking is if you aren't ready to start yet, then don't sign up until you are so you can earn all your goodies from the Scentsational Start program and the Start Swell... Just my opinion though

samcleod
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
You also want to go ahead and have a date for your launch already chosen when you sign up. This way you can go ahead and start talking to people about it even before you have your kit.

Mom514
12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
thank you all for your responses!
I did call her again, and she said she didn't have anyone signed up under her. She said the woman she signed up under has 40 under her and doesn't really help her. She told me that they don't really do that, so when I sign up I'm pretty much on my own, but she will help answer any questions.
I'm going to sign up tomorrow, so we'll see!

comforthaven
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I did call her again, and she said she didn't have anyone signed up under her. She said the woman she signed up under has 40 under her and doesn't really help her. She told me that they don't really do that, so when I sign up I'm pretty much on my own, but she will help answer any questions.

She may not be aware of the Scentsy Policies & Procedures which expressly states in;

5.3 – Leadership and Continuing Development Obligations
"When you sponsor another Consultant into Scentsy, you must take a proactive role in providing assistance and training, and in ensuring those in your downline (1.) are aware of Scentsy Policies and Procedures; and (2.) comply with the Agreement, Policies and Procedures.............."

While your success or failure in this business depends on you, having a good sponsor makes it a lot easier.

emily3247
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Congrats on your new business venture, Scentsy is an awesome company, you'll love it! I'm sorry that your consultant told you the you're pretty much on your own except for answering questions. Theo is right you can do it on your own, but it's a heck of a lot easier with support and guidance. That said I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of that statement in the policies and procedures because there are 4 people between me and my director and none of them have ever been of any help. Without my director I'd be nowhere.... just keep in mind there are people willing to help and hopefully someone in your upline -- no matter how far up it may be will support you through it all. Good luck!

sherryw76
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM

I hope you are signing up under someone else! She should definitely be there to help you along the way if she is your sponsor.

Good luck!

imamomagain
12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I think everyone has their own definition of "help" and "support". My ideal kind of help is not the same as others. There is a fine line of official training and having someone in your downline call you to enter their orders. :O (yes it has happened!) I like to point people in the right direction, but not so much as to do their job FOR them. There is a difference.
You can tell people how and what to do, but the end result is up to them....

sherryw76
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree with not doing the job for them, but she says in her first post she is looking for a team environment this time around, and it doesn't sound like that is what she is going to get with this sponsor.

emily3247
12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree as well, but I also think that simply answering a question every now and then isn't always enough support. I always take the time to show consultants under me how to enter and combine orders and if they need me to show them more than once that's fine. I explain everything as we go and sometimes it does get confusing. I know that for me, I wasn't motivated until I talked to my director who is four people above me. Being supportive is more than simply answering questions; it's checking in with your downline, making sure that they are okay and helping to motivate them. You don't have to do their work for them, but I think you have to make yourself available (if even during office hours) to help and motivate them in any way that you can. That's just my opinion though -- but in the experience I've had since I got the support I needed, it's worked.

imamomagain
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh I whole-heartedly agree that it's more than answering questions! We are very lucky that Scentsy provides most of the training for us. There are lots of videos and there is even one that comes in the kit now. (There never was one when I joined). There are videos that show you step by step how to enter orders. I try to steer people to the training that is provided and the training that is available from our team and upline. You can show people these things and where they are, and when you start to grow, this is very important to have in place and I for one am thankful Scentsy has this for us to utillize.
My point I guess is that some people will join, not bother to attend or listen to the training that is provided and are quick to blame their sponsor or upline. (not saying this is anyone here in particular at all) I'm just speaking of my own experience and I know that when you start to get a large team, you simply cannot take the time to walk people through placing orders when the training is right there in front of them and available 24/7 if they so choose to participate in it.

emily3247
12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
That makes sense. I guess my point -- or my vision for my team -- is to build a team that is supportive of each other, while being self sufficient at the same time. I totally agree that everyone should watch the Scentsy training, it's awesome and it's a blessing they provide it for us to use. So, while I agree with what you're saying, I think that a sponsor pretty much telling a new consultant "I'll answer questions, but you're pretty much on your own" (like this person mentioned) is a bit drastic. After all, without our team none of us would be so successful.

imamomagain
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree! :)

Mom514
12-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi all! I did sign up under her. She called me and told me that she really never hears from her sponsor either, but she'd try to help the best she can.
I was glad to see that the Workstation offers so much support and with my doing direct sales before, I at least knew where to look for help, which was HERE!!
I guess I just love the team/motivation part of it. I've been on a team before where we were always getting good ideas, website forums, and just kinda a "hi just wanna check on you, and see if you're doing okay" kind of thing. I'm a real go getter, I just like the "team" feeling.
When I sold Pampered Chef, I was really left out on my own and I just felt like the woman wanted to sign me up and that was it. Which ended up being the case, I left shortly after.
I've already got 2 orders in less than a week and mailed out about 20 catalogs yesterday, completed my website and gave out 10 catalogs and received great response!
I love it already!

bcylab
12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the Scentsy Team. You are gonna love it here. I just love the ladies here, I h ave gotten so much info from them. I h ave a sponsor that I have heard from maybe twice, but that is alright, I am still making it work really well for myself.

I have some wonderful customers that I have yet to not have a party every month, the product is wonderful and it sells itself practically.

You are going to love this business. Welcome again. :p

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1