WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : I buy, but can I sell ?

Mommee2Twins
04-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I am a buying FIEND when it comes to getting stuff off of E-bay. I get 90% of my girls' clothes there and almost all of the christmas presents/etc that we give during the year.

I'd like to try to make a little money getting rid of some of the junk we've accumulated, but I'm going to be 9mths pregnant when our subdivision has it's yearly sale in october, so I'm thinking about trying e-bay.

I've only sold a couple of halloween costumes on e-bay before, so I'm a little unsure if I can unload as much of this stuff as I'd like to. I know summer is coming up, but can I still sell winter apparel and have it actually SELL??? How do you figure out shipping and handling? Do you take it to the post office before you list it? Or do you just estimate based on past experience?

I know a lot of people run big businesses on e-bay doing sales, and thats not really what I'm trying to do. I just want to be able to see my living room floor again and would like to try to make a little money doing it. Anything that doesn't sell goes to our local charities.

I'd appreciate any advice/help/suggestions you folks can give me!

Matt-MattsMomma
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I think that if you have winter items, you might be better off to wait until fall to get the best price for your items. As for the shipping, I search for items similiar to what I have to sell and go by what other people are charging. I also have my own supply of envelopes I ship in. The post office has envelopes also that are ~free~, but you have to send them priority mail, which costs more. I only sell an outfit at a time, I have never sold anything in a large lot. The post office has flat rate shipping boxes, so whatever you can cram in the box goes for the flat rate price. I sell and buy alot of my children's clothes on ebay also. Most international sales I use the Global Priority envelopes which are also a flat rate. I hope this helps you.

Kenna
04-11-2006, 06:12 AM
I hear ya!I also love to buy on ebay and need to stop and get rid of all this stuff I have lying around. I would also wait on selling those winter clothesunless you plan on selling to the folks "downunder".Right now you need to concentrate on summer items.Try to listseveral auctions so that you can drive people to them when they look at one of your auctions.I would start the winter & back to school items in late July andAug months.

As far as shipping I use a postal scale. Small items such as shirts & small dresses can be shipped in envelopes. You can go to theUSPostal website to get all of your postal rates from home. You can also mail many packages fromhome as well. Good luck and if you can offer any tips to get motivated let me know! LOL

jfeets726
04-14-2006, 06:18 AM
I only have a small kitchen scale that I used. Any larger things I pretty much just guess. There have only been a few times when I underestimated. I also like the priority mail flat rate boxes or envelopes because they make shipping easy. I started out with selling stuff around the house. I liked it so I started going to yard sales and buying stuff. As mentioned above, I would try and wait to sell the winter or fall stuff later. Iím sure it probably will sell, but you might not get a lot for it now.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Good luck!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1