WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Help for a total newbie to Ebay

jm.abel
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi - I am admitting I don't know much about ebay - we have a full set - 12 place settings plus serving dishes - of Lenox China - 8 settings were used ONE time only - in perfect condition and packed in quilted China containers........that we would like to sell on ebay. It sounds like there are a lot of fees involved, is it worth it for a first time seller - would anyone even bid on something like this from a first time seller or are we better off going to one of those "I SOLD IT ON EBAY" stores? Any suggestions would be great !

miboje
10-06-2010, 06:07 AM
HI - To decide whether or not something is worth trying to sell on eBay, you should do a "completed listing" search. You want to find out what other items, just like yours, have been selling for lately. First, type Lenox China Set into the search box. After the search results appear, look to the far left on your monitor, and scroll down until you see a link that says Completed Listings. Click on that and scroll through the results searching for sets that match the pattern you have. What have they been selling for? Your total fees, between eBay and Paypal, will be about 17% of that, assuming your set sells in that range. Let the buyer pay for shipping.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hi - I am admitting I don't know much about ebay - we have a full set - 12 place settings plus serving dishes - of Lenox China - 8 settings were used ONE time only - in perfect condition and packed in quilted China containers........that we would like to sell on ebay. It sounds like there are a lot of fees involved, is it worth it for a first time seller - would anyone even bid on something like this from a first time seller or are we better off going to one of those "I SOLD IT ON EBAY" stores? Any suggestions would be great !

Rachel123
10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
I totally agree with miboje's advice. Begin with a market research - when you similar items, you can get a notion of how much you can sell it for, and also how to sell. before selling on ebay, and personally i only only a little bit of experience as a seller - im mostly a buyer really. but one advice i share, is before diving into the selling biz - take a deep breath. study the market, read the discussion boards there (where sellers mostly complain all the time really). You'll see that it'll change your mind set once you have more knowledge about how things run over there.
best of luck to you, hope you do very well!

jm.abel
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
THANK YOU ! ! I really appreciate all the advice !! :)

leasadler
11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Please make sure that, if you sell the china, to have it insured before mailing. Even if the buyer doesn't request insurance, the seller is responsible for getting the package safely to its destination.

Diane622
11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Everyone has given you excellent advice here. I would add that as long as you know the items you're going to sell have a market on eBay (as suggested earlier), I just don't find the fees to be that huge of a problem. I mean you're still selling something that you no longer have a use for and someone else is receiving something they truly want. it's a win-win and as long as you begin your listing with a profit over and above the fees, you're still in the black, you're still making money. eBay selling is not difficult at all, a little time consuming if you want to do it right, but not difficult.

Also great advice about insuring the 'china' for a few bucks just to be safe when shipping!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Diane

adm73
02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I know this is a fairly old thread, but please experiment by selling popular but inexpensive items first. I craigslist fragile stuff though. Too many buyer scams and switcheroos in the fragile dish category.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1