WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Gestational Diabetes

coffee
07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Yup, they say I have gestational diabetes. Last Wednesday I went and got the one hour sugar test done. Thursday morning I had a doctor's appointment which went well, No sugar in the urine.

That afternoon the nurse called and said that I have gestational diabetes and that next Thursday (tomorrow), I have to go to a diabetic clinic. I asked 'don't I take the three hour test.' She said no that I failed by too much. I was in too much shock and upset to really talk more about it with the nurse.

I'm upset that they won't let me take the three hour test. I had ginger ale the morning of the test to keep my stomach settled and I think that the ginger ale might have given me a higher reading.

I don't have another doctor's appointment for another two weeks. Hubby says I have to jump through their hoops until then.

Amy Jacobs
07-15-2010, 06:45 AM
O no! I am so sorry to hear that! yes unfortunately they have the power :( I hope it works out and they give you another test that will show a negative result. Keep your chin up. ~Amy~

coffee
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
No other test. I'm stuck and it still sucks. Just trying to get good readings.

MamaLoca
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
A very tough break.
GD is so hard because we all carry this idea that during pregnancy we'll get to eat whatever our body craves (pickles and ice cream or dark chocolate and a gallon of milk) and GD ends that. As we swell and stretch and expand during pregnancy, it does seem cruel to take away even that small comfort of indulgent food.
But, all hope is not lost. You can still enjoy food. You'll just have to obsess over your readings and practice portion control. I used stevia to make lemonade and smoothies and stuff - it's all natural, high in fiber sugar alternative you can get in the stores now. (You can even buy the plant at the local garden center and grow it in your own garden!) You might try it to ease the cravings for sweets! :p

HappyAga
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
It's your body, your choices, your pregnancy.....not theirs. If you want to take another test, you should have the very right to to take it again. If my doctor would not allow me something, I would quickly change providers. Did you let them know you had Ginger Ale?