WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : another homeschool question

delipie
05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
i work at home for a telemarketing company.taking calls and processing orders and info. i am thinking of homeschooling. i am only required to work 4 hrs per month. ofcourse i do work more hours than that. my question is, do any of you work at home while you are homeschooling your child(ren)? what are the pros and cons?

WAHMBrenda
05-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I write from home which doesn't require a lot of "quiet." It works out well but I have grown accustomed to working without it being quiet.

YBROOKS
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a 3 children (11, 9 & 2)

I am with Ameriplan & Mela (I also do online secret shopping & crafts from home)

Pros:
Being there for and with my children (Teaching them)
Being at home (Managing the home)
Building my business without neglecting the others aspects of my life
Being able to assist my husband in supporting our family
Creative support and activities for homeschooled children & families

Con:
The energy bill (being that we are home everyday using we are using the electriciy more than a household in which the children go out to school and the parents work outside the home)

THE KEY TO IT ALL RUNNING SMOOTHLY IS HAVING A SYSTEM TO EVERYTHING AND STICKING WITH THAT SYSTEM.

melthegiftgirl
05-31-2010, 05:16 AM
THE KEY TO IT ALL RUNNING SMOOTHLY IS HAVING A SYSTEM TO EVERYTHING AND STICKING WITH THAT SYSTEM.

I couldn't agree more! I have five children and I homeschool them all and work from home. I don't have to have quiet for phone calls very often, but I personally need quiet to concentrate so I work in the early morning and in the afternoon during my childrens' quiet time. I am consistent about doing this every day I possibly can and that is where I see results. Also it helps to have toys and activities put away where they can't see them and then bring out a new activity or toy every day to keep them occupied for awhile. Make sure it gets put back up and not incorporated into the toy box!

If I have very specific goals for homeschooling and work, then I don't feel guilty about either one. At your daughter's age, your goals could be something like:
Read together for 15-30 minutes
Go for a walk and talk everyday
Cook in the kitchen together!

MaryChristine
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
I am homeschooling 2 kids - 11 and 15, and endeavouring to set up an affiliate marketing business. I have enough time for both when everything is running smoothly.

janet4kids
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes it works! Depends on the ages of your children. Are they old enough to work independently?
Would they understand that there will be times (just like a teacher has) that you will be busy and they must wait their turn?

Organization is a must. Works well if you have certain times when you are working and your children are doing their independent work ( or free reading)

Go for it!

craftydelisa
06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
I love homeschooling my children. The only problem we are having at the moment is that one of our laptops died and now there are 4 of us trying to share one laptop and get something done. lol. If your children are doing something that needs your attention while they do it save it until the end of your work day if it can't be done before. Being flexible is important. We often have work and school projects going on at all hours. My kids like it when I tell them in what order to do things. It helps them stay on track and get the more important things done first.

AmyKay
06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
You can absolutely do it! I do need some quite time to work diligently and concentrate. My children are very small.. 4, 2 and 10 months, so I pay a babysitter to watch them while I work in a room with the door closed. It's nice because I'm still here and know what they are up to, and the kids like being at home. It's just a few hours a week, but I get so much more done than if they were distracting me for many more hours. Try different systems, and choose one that works well for your family.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1