WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

joyonearth
02-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Hello,

I am really thinking about starting my own photography business, but I really have no clue where to begin. I LOVE photography, especially outdoor and candid shots. However, I also wouldn't mind doing more posed family and children photography too. Maybe a good mix of both would be great.

I was wondering if anyone that has experience with this business could offer up some great information or advice for getting started off on the right foot???

I would love to have suggestions as far as great websites, books, etc.... I would also love to know what average start up cost for this type business could be??? I have a Nikon D50 Digital SLR camera right now and really enjoy it, but I don't know if I need more for just starting out.

I have allowed fear of the unknown hold me back up until this point, but I don't want to continue that way. I really want to give this dream of mine a fair shot and see where it might take me.

PLEASE... any advice, suggestions, great ideas???? All are welcome and I thank those who respond to this with helpful ideas.

Everyone have a great day and I look forward to hearing back from all you great photographers out there!

Pawprint
02-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I am also wanting info on a photography business. I am interested in photographing pets. Thanks.

FredRaley
02-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Google "starting a photography business" and you will see some good resources pop to the top of the page. Some are selling a 'how to' manual but you will get tons of ideas on things to consider just by reading their articles and websites.

lindastacy
02-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't know anything about the photography business, but I would think the best way to start out would be to specialize in something. Don't try to be all things to all people. (And that holds true for most small business start ups.)

craftydelisa
02-27-2010, 09:11 AM
I also love photography. I just can't afford to by a camera or I would be trying to sell my work. lol
There is a lot of great info on the net. When you are running your searched be sure to include words like "home based" and "freelance". Check out what kind of photography services are offered in your area already and see what is missing. Know what kind of photoraphy biz you want to have before you buy equipement, that way you don't buy something you don't really need.

Not Your Normal School of Photography (http://www.nynphotoschool.com) - Check out their free info. The also offer a class but I haven't taken it so I can't comment on it.

Start Your Photography Business - Set up your photography business - photography business starter (http://www.shuttermomuniversity.com) - Free newsletter. Also has a class and again I can't comment on it.

You will find a ton of info by running searches. Good luck on getting going. I would like to hear how you progress.

msuggitt
06-22-2012, 11:40 AM
You can sell digital photos you took on multiple sites by posting then people pay when they download your photos. You can also put your digital skills to use by offering your services to sites that provide this service for real estate, insurance co, banking and other financial companies. When there is work in your area, you will be contacted. Another way to is take digital audits offered by Mystery Shopping & Merchandising companies. In all these cases, you will be expected to follow client guidelines, know how to adjust your camera & be able to resize & upload photos through a lot of different sites.

To realistically start your own photography business, you will need quite a bit of money to invest in equipment and insurance. I was a working location photographer in San Diego, and I probably put well over a thousand into equipment, and I certainly didn't own the company, they had tens of thousands invested. You also need a good working knowledge of perspective and lighting and know the difference between F6 and F12, for starters and how to meter for light adjustments. Most professional photographers also can operate and/or own a medium format camera and have access to cheap processing. :)

Bella Pearl
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Be sure you know how to use your camera, inside and out. Study light, study posing, study angles and especially learn about exposure, white balance, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. You'll most likely need n editing program as well, such as Photoshop. You will need a professional printing company to print your images.

I taught myself some of the basics such as aperture/shutter speed/ISO and I also shoot in manual mode. You can't be in auto mode at all as a professional. I'm still learning about light control and lost of other stuff. The technical side of photography is very hard and really takes years to become decent at.

alwayshome
06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Start up cost varies, depending on what niche your looking to choose. I have a friend that's a wedding photographer. She started by interning for a professional photographer and spent close to $1000 starting out. If your looking to have your own studio and different background then I will cost way more to start.

TommyH
06-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Joyonearth

I actually shoot photography as my full time business. I focus on commercial and landscape photography but I have been known to shoot a wedding every now and then.

Photography as a business is hard. The hardest part is that everyone with a DSLR camera is instantly a photographer. You will see lots of people on craigslist offering shoots for $50 dollars. At that rate you wont survive, don't sell yourself short. If it's your business treat it as such. Put a value on your product and stick with it, if you are good people will pay you for the service as opposed to someone else who charges less.

I have been shooting as a hobby for years (shooting every day) before I took the leap to working on it as my business. During the years as shooting as a hobby I did a little of everything to find what I truly love to shoot. Find a niche and focus on that for your business. You will see others offering everything, but when you look at their shots sometimes it's lacking. Not saying it can't be done, but if you enjoy weddings then focus on that and not architecture. It will show in your product, your eye will know what to look for in scenes right away.

Not sure how long you have been shooting or experience. But like it was said learn your camera inside and out. Being able to have the camera work for you to achieve the image you see in your head will go a long way. I would learn these before considering upgrading the camera. My sister has a Nikon D50 and wants to upgrade to have a higher megapixel. She never leaves "full Auto", most photos stay on the computer, and the ones that get printed are no larger then 11x14. With all that I tell her there is no real need to upgrade, as a newer camera will have features she wont be using or need. Save your money till you learn the camera you have. Better things to upgrade are your lenses and lighting if you plan to shoot portraits.

Cost of equipment will range greatly depending on what you plan to shoot, but 1K and up is a good start. Most great wedding photographers have 2 cameras just in case one has problems. As commercial photographer I have a wide angle lens 11-16mm (700 dollars), medium zoom 17-40mm (800), and picking up a super wide 8mm this week (900). Camera body alone runs 1k and up depending. These are new prices and you can find things cheaper used. What I have seen is a lot of photographers shoot as a hobby and get the equipment over time making the entry cost less.

Ana_S
07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I may be way out there with this, so please accept my aplogies. First off, I am in no way a photographer, but I think I can share some information that might be of help- at least in the marketing aspect.

I have been working with a photographer in the San Antonio area who has had me working on her website here and there. She went from a basic website just to be present on the internet. Essentially, consumers these days are very savvy shoppers and researchers. She put up a site that, in the beginning, had a portfolio and was search engine optomized for her area. This way when anyone seaches the internet for a photographer in or near San Antonio her name and website pops up. She generated a good amount of inquires in the form of calls for her business. Her niche market at the time she started was children and family photography.

Here's where I came in... she hired me on a freelance basis to transform the basic text on her website to really capture her vision and voice. She wanted to convey a message and I collaborated with her to do that. We have been talking recently about expanding her niche to include belly shots and babies.

So, the reason I decided to tell you about this is... i can't stress enough the power of a website. Additionally, the power of amazing copywriting. Please let me know if you'd be interested in checking out her site.

Hope that some of this helps. Please send me a PM if you want any more information (ie. website creation, SEO, copywriting, etc)

~Ana

lesliechan31
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I also am interested in photography but I am more on the retouching and restoring end. I am especially interested in old photographs from the early 1800s and 1900s. I'd like to take hard copy photos that I could fix (like rips and creases) or colorize that people could either frame or use digitally for a family tree or the like. I too have no business sense but am looking to collaborate with someone that does have it. I don't know how to start. I need the flexibility of working at home and it would be absolutely fulfilling and my dream come true. If anyone has any ideas or knows anyone that is looking for these kinds of services, please contact me. Thank you!

TommyH
07-18-2012, 07:41 AM
I also am interested in photography but I am more on the retouching and restoring end. I am especially interested in old photographs from the early 1800s and 1900s. I'd like to take hard copy photos that I could fix (like rips and creases) or colorize that people could either frame or use digitally for a family tree or the like. I too have no business sense but am looking to collaborate with someone that does have it. I don't know how to start. I need the flexibility of working at home and it would be absolutely fulfilling and my dream come true. If anyone has any ideas or knows anyone that is looking for these kinds of services, please contact me. Thank you!

One thing to remember when doing a service like this is copyright laws. I am pretty sure you do not want to touch a picture that is not at least 50 years old. The time frame you posted wont have any problems but customers might come in with photos of parents that are not that old looking to have them restored.

lesliechan31
07-18-2012, 09:13 AM
One thing to remember when doing a service like this is copyright laws. I am pretty sure you do not want to touch a picture that is not at least 50 years old. The time frame you posted wont have any problems but customers might come in with photos of parents that are not that old looking to have them restored.

Good point, this is why I need to work with someone who knows how to do everything legally. Scanning slides is also something I would like to look into, as it is VERY monotonous and time consuming and most people do not have the time to do it. That's what I need to feel out for.

NeoGills
09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey! i suggest you to watch YouTube tutorial even i learned many techniques from there, you will learn it.

thepodandthepea
10-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Joyonearth!

I have been a photographer and owned my own business for 7 years. The reason I started my own business was because I wanted the flexibility it gave me to be a stay at home mom once I started a family and since we recently had a baby it has been so nice to have that flexibility. Recently I have had SO many mom friends asking me about starting their own photography business that I decided to make a product that is basically a step by step guide on how and where to start when opening your own photography business. It is basically an accumulation of everything I have learned since I opened my business 7 years ago and will be a path to success and a very easy one at that for anyone who is just starting out. The nice part is you will be able to avoid all the bumps along the way with my guide since I have already learned most things the hard way so it should be a smooth road to success. If you are interested in more information on this please feel free to shoot me a message. I am still in the process of completing it but I should have it up for sale by the end of the month! Best of luck to you and I hope to hear from you!

Thanks!
The Pod and The Pea

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1