WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Scent Sensitivity?

ezhobby
03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello All!

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about burning our triple scented candles after a shopping trip with my husband yesterday.

At the mall, we stopped at a Lush Store. If you are unfamiliar with them, they sell home-made soaps, bath products, skin treatments, etc. It's actually quite a cool place to browse in. But the scents are really, really strong!

After about 10 minutes in this store, my husband's eyes started watering and he started having troubles breathing. He has asthma and had to leave the store right away to catch his breath.

I occasionally have sensitivity to heavy scents as in they can give me a headache. But I've never seen a reaction like this before.

Have any other Mia Bella members experiences any reactions like my husband did? I don't want to get things rolling in this business if I can't burn the candles around my husband (who enjoys candles like I do). I did burn a MB votive and it didn't bother him, but I am concerned about burning a jar.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Blessings,

Vicki

PS- I actually have my first MB customer and I haven't even joined yet! When I got scent samples from my sponsor several weeks ago, I took the samples and the literature to my daughter's curling to read through and learn a bit about it. I let another parent smell the SOCP sample and asked what she thought and if I got into this business, would she be interested in placing an order. Both her and her mom flipped over the sample!

Today at the year end wrap-up, I sat down with this same parent to talk about the curling season and she asked if I had started the candlebusiness yet. I said I would within the next week or so, and asked if I could take down her phone number and contact her when I got more samples. She said "absolutely!" And her mom piped in that she would place an order as well.

Prospects are looking good! smileys/smiley32.gif

happymommy
03-11-2006, 09:43 PM
That's wonderful that you have customers waiting!smileys/smiley32.gif

Some people are sensitive to scents, as you witnessed in your DH! Do
you currently burn, or have you burned candles in your home before? Has
he had these reactions to just one candle burning in your house? It
could have been sooo many scents crammed into a small area that
overwhelmed him. I guess, the only way to know, will be to experiment
with different scents. Maybe lighter ones (ie. vanilla) will be OK with
him. As a massage therapist, I love the fact that we have an
unscented jar! That means, even my clients who may not be able to
handle scent, can still enjoy the warm glow of a candle during their
treatment. If you still have concerns, maybe the person you choose as
your future sponsor can sell you 1 or 2 from his/her stock, so you can
see how he reacts to them. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Jennifer

cinnamonmomof3
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I am sensitive to a lot of scents, like I canít wear perfume at all, or very strong lotion. There are some of our scents that are too strong for me if I burn them in the jar but perfect if I just burn a votive. The Banana Bread jar gives me a headache, but I can burn a votive and enjoy it. So when I get my COTM I burn a votive first to test the scent. smileys/smiley1.gif

ezhobby
03-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the replies ladies.

My plan at the beginning is to burn COTM votives only so I can sell the jars. This will also give me a chance to test the scents with my hubby. I did burn a White Chocolate Cappucino votive that my sponsor gave me. We both enjoyed the scent and no reactions.

We burn candles on a regular basis, but mostly poorly scented ones which aren't very strong. My hubby does enjoy many of the Party Lite scents and they don't seem to bother him.

So perhaps, as mentioned, it was the number of scents in a small, poorly ventilated area that got to him.

Health4Mom
03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
I found found that some of our scents are stronger than others. I have allergies and none of our scents have ever effected me though.

Even though are candles are highly scented, they AREN'T overpowering. It is more that the scent is so strong that it permiates an entire area. Get whatI am trying to say?

Also, make sure with the stonget scents that you put them in a larger, more open room. I wouldnt recommend a candle such as "Slate and Stone" in a small room. That is a very strong scent, although i do love it

You will learn what works for you and your hubbys noses!! lol smileys/smiley36.gif

And try experimenting with putting them in different rooms!

I love our scents!! I am burning a cinnamon raisin bun now. I absloutley love it!!

well, hurry up and join us!! smileys/smiley2.gif

Looks like you are well on your way to a Scent-Sational journey!!!!!

earthlydream
03-12-2006, 11:31 AM
I showed a prospective client whose daughter loves all candles Mia Bella's. She has an EXTREME reaction to scents & couldn't handle our scents. She had to wash her hands w/vinegar ro get rid of the scent.

I don't think we can sell to people who have extreme reactions to scents unless it is the unscented candles.
There are many other people that aren't sensitive so that's our market.

lovethiscandle
03-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Allergies are different from one person to another, that is why I would offer refund, but if they want to try it should be at their own risk. I have had both reactions some good, some bad to our candles and to our soaps.

Good luck! smileys/smiley1.gif

Debra Carter

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1