WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Considering the business?

bdeluna
11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I've just been introduced to the business and while I don't own any Scentsy products (yet!) I did love the concept of them. I have 2 children that love to blow out candles and now that we are in a new house and they can climb, I never burn them anymore!!

I've had a home based business before when I stayed home and it took wayyyy too much of my time. I'm now working pt as a preschool teacher and would like something else to do on the side that won't take a ridiculous amount of time. I get that your business is what you put into but I was spending all of my day on the computer and the phone before and that's not something I want to do again.

Is this an 'easy' business to be involved in? Please realize I'm not looking to get rich but I love to have my house smelling good and keep my children safe without burning the house down!! So this definitely appeals to me.

Also, how does it work moving up in the company as well as commissions?

Thanks,

Brandi

LAscents
11-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi Brandi,

While nothing sells itself, Scentsy is an EASY sell. Also you don't really need to SELL it, you just need to INTRODUCE it. Does that make sense? Basically if you let others know that you have it - via catalogs, samples, your own words, then sales typically flow pretty well.

If traditional home parties aren't for you, there are many other options available such as basket parties (catalog parties with scent samples), vendor events, one on one sales, displays set up in businesses, internet marketing, fundraisers, etc.

Would you be permitted to do anything with your preschool parents? That would be an excellent market who would be interested in our wickless products.

As far as commissions - you make percentages on your own sales, and then there are other opportunities to make additional percentages if you want to build a team. You can see the matrix here http://thrivingcandlebusiness.com/Compensation_Plan.jpg

LorettaA
11-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Hi Brandi,

What is great about Scentsy is all of the ways you can work the business so it fits in to your lifestyle. Many of us enjoy doing "basket parties" which is when we put together a "party on the go" and send it with our hostesses. You also have the option of home parties, vendor events, fundraisers, etc. We have many consultants sharing great ideas on how to grow your business.

I will send you a private message giving you my contact info so I can go over the commission plan with you.

ETA: Laurie and I posting at the same time. :)

successsweet
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
I've just been introduced to the business and while I don't own any Scentsy products (yet!) I did love the concept of them. I have 2 children that love to blow out candles and now that we are in a new house and they can climb, I never burn them anymore!!

I've had a home based business before when I stayed home and it took wayyyy too much of my time. I'm now working pt as a preschool teacher and would like something else to do on the side that won't take a ridiculous amount of time. I get that your business is what you put into but I was spending all of my day on the computer and the phone before and that's not something I want to do again.

Is this an 'easy' business to be involved in? Please realize I'm not looking to get rich but I love to have my house smelling good and keep my children safe without burning the house down!! So this definitely appeals to me.

Also, how does it work moving up in the company as well as commissions?

Thanks,

Brandi

I too have been involved in other businesses that required a lot of phone work, however as to computer time, I like online marketing so I have to admit I do spend a lot of time on the computer.

With Scentsy as with any party plan, home parties sell! There is no doubt about that. IF you have a large circle of influence and can get the home party thing going and enjoy doing that than you will make money.

If the place you are a pre-school teacher at would allow you to display a warmer just doing that would get a lot of attention to the product.

Also there is fundraising you can do and as others said basket and online parties.

Scentsy itself has name recognition so just carry a Scentsy bag or wear a Scentsy button and people will approach you. It's happened to me.

Hope this helps!

TerriW

kainsley\
11-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I also have a full-time job & am a single mom of 2 young children, yet I've been able to work my Scentsy business in my free time & become successful in a short time. I originally joined to get a discount because I loved the product, but my business quickly took off & I should be able to quit my job soon. If we can answer any questions for you, just let us know. Good luck to you!

jessicaj
11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I can totally relate to businesses taking too much time. I was with another company and I am one to do something all the way and the right way or not at all. My other business WAS taking me away from my dd. AND I found out I was pregnant with my son the day of my launch party with the other business! Needless to say, my focus shifted.

I LOVE Scentsy because my daughter can be in on the fun. With the basket parties, I don't HAVE TO leave my kiddos. It just fits right in! I think you will be pleasantly surprised how simple this business is to run!

I like many other candle lovers have had my fair share of close calls with traditional candles. I have used Scentsy for 3 years and I don't worry about my warmers!

avoight
11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Brandi
I just wanted to let you know Scentsy isnt like all the other direct sales companies... theres not much work for us! YAY! LOL I sell jewelry and have been for a few years now. When im out of something (I am required to carry inventory) I have to pay for the item to be shipped to me then I have to ship it to the customer. I started Scentsy last month I am so impressed on how easy this business is to run! Customers can order from your website.. the company does all the work! You DONT need to have an inventory, Scentsy ships all orders... LOVE IT! You are going to love Scentsy

bcylab
11-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I started about 1 month ago, love the fact I am not tied to a computer all day. My 2 daughters take up most of my free time when I am not at my 40hr week job. So it is very nice to have started with Scentsy, life has turned towards a wonderful business and wonderful great smelling products.

jessicaj
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
It really is important to believe in and love the product that you are sharing with people... I guess I'm a slow learner, I have been using Scentsy for 3 years... it just dawned on me in August to become a consultant! Geesh! Now I'm on track to make Star Consultant this month! I have never been involved in anything like this before! I can't sing Scentsy praises enough!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1