WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Abeka to fast?

homebasedforlive
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi all,

This is our first year homeschooling with Abeka. We are using the video streaming curriculum.

The curriculum is so fast paced that sometimes I wonder how anyone could keep up with it. Between the homework reading and regular reading it seems like sometimes 20 pages a day are being covered.

I noticed it says that every subject has to be turned in by two weeks after the p on the calendar or there will be a fee of $45? charged. I'm kind of surprised about this considering how expensive the program is. I was wondering how other parents are doing about keeping on track with this particular curriculum? Any tips would be appreciated!

WAHMBrenda
11-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Wow! That doesn't sound like homeschooling at all. I'd be surprised if your child isn't getting stressed over this too if you're feeling like you are. I don't know anything about the program but I know Abeka by itself is very good material to use. Good luck figuring out what to do here.

AlisonMSmith
11-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Frankly, it sounds awful! The beauty of homeschooling is being able to personalize it for each child. Seriously, if this isn't a great fit for your child, send it back, sell it, or otherwise find an alternative!

You have the power!

Alison

nancoy
12-04-2009, 10:53 PM
My son is in 2nd grade. I did their DVD program last year so I thought I would try the video streaming this year. I didn't like it at. I couldn't get the video's to keep playing. Putting us two weeks behind. I switched back to the DVD last week and charged an extra $100. There is so much more this year then last. I feel my son is in front of the computer and/or TV all day long. It leaves very little time to do the other lesson's like science and history ete that don't have to be graded but I feel are just as important. I doubt I will do A beka next year.

homebasedforlive
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm having the same problems. We are constantly getting error messages with the Abeka and it's putting us behind too. I really don't want to pay an extra hundred to switch over to the dvds. I'm pretty disappointed with it. Thanks for posting.

nancoy
12-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I was just reading A beka website. What is the tradional? Is this all the lesson's minus the DVD? It includes all material, tests and envelopes for work to be sent in to be reveiwed and transcript. It doesn't say but is tradional also accrediated? I think I rather do this. Anyone else use it?

hbixler03
12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I use the Abeka DVD for my 11 year old, and the Abeka tratiotional curriculum for my two little ones. I'm not sure I've heard of the alte fee for the DVD's. I know that they have a return date at the end of the year, but if you are keeping up with the program it's still good.

Also we don't use the accredited program (wher they keep track of the grades, etc.) because ew don't have to in our state, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I really like the program, it is a lot of information. I know my daughter is in 5th grade, and she does the DVD program for about 4 hours, then seat work, etc. Which is not much different than the time she would spend in regular school, so I don't have an issue with the time frame. I think it would take us more time if I homeschooled her the traditional way.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1