WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Approaching Retailers?

ezhobby
03-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Hello All!

I am doing some planning and I am wondering what kind of options your make available when approaching retailers / salons / spas regarding using and/or selling the jars.

I'm thinking of offering 3 options so they have a choice depending upon what works best for them. Please feel free to give some feedback letting me know if I am approaching this right. smileys/smiley1.gif

1) I'll leave them a free jar and a bunch of my brochures with the agreement that they light the candle daily. When customerscomments on or ask about the lovely scent, they give them my brochure. They make no money on this option, but they do get use of a free candle.

2) I'll sell them a case of jars 12 for the price of 10. They can choose the scents they want. Then they can resell them and keep any profit. I'll tell them what I usually sell the jars for and recommend they sell a dollar or two higher.

3) They join COTM and get a great extra income for the store, spa, etc, plus they can sell to friends and family that don't frequent their business.

What do you think??

Blessings,

Vicki

southernbg
03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Vicki,

I love the fact that you want to offer more options to these places. I do have one suggestion for you on option 2. I would sell the jar for $12 or $13. The way you current have it, you will not make any money. You will actually be losing money!

Other than that, would not change anything. I would add the assoicate membership to them at well. Maybe that could go with the the first option. Just a though!

I hope this helps in some way!

Many Blessings,

Natalie

green2win
03-06-2006, 05:51 PM
You do want to make money. You are a business owner, and it is all right for you to MAKE MONEY!!! I sell 15.00 to a yoga studio owner--She knows she can get it at wholesale, but she chose to do it this way in the beginning.

ezhobby
03-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi Natalie

Regarding option 2, I'm confused why I would lose money there.

I have seen other members offer 2 free candles when 10 are ordered as an incentive for a party hostess so there is a case of 12 sold.

I would offer much the same thing for the retailer. They order 10 candles and I give 2 free - all at my retail price.

I haven't quite set my prices yet as I'm unsure of the shipping charges to Canada, but I'm thinking $24-$25 each plus tax. So I'd sell the 12 jars to the retailerfor $240 and recommend they resell them for $27-$28 each, which would give them a $80+ profit. And I would still be making the same as I would if I had a party.

Please correct me if I'm missing anything. I've been known to lose my keys while they are hanging on my fingers! smileys/smiley36.gif

And thanks for reminding me about the Associate Membership. I'll have to add that one in there too.

southernbg
03-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Vicki,

I am so sorry! Mis misread what you wrote. I read it as you would be selling them for $10 a piece. smileys/smiley36.gif You are welcome about the Associate membership!

Nope, you were not the one tha is off tonight! That would be me! I just the diet I am on is really getting to me today!smileys/smiley9.gif

Many Blessings,

Natalie

ezhobby
03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh good - I thought I was missing the forest for the trees! smileys/smiley2.gif

Do you think option 1 is giving away too much??

Of course, any samples (votives or jars) would be written off as an advertising expense. Always gotta look at the positive side of things!

earthlydream
03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
I think offering them a free candle as an advertising incentive is a very cool idea!

I haven't thought of that & would like to try that also.I just wonder if they'll live up to their end of bargain. You should follow up with them checking maybe once a week or every couple weeks to see how they're doing with it.

I put candles on consignment in B&B & told her to burn votives when she had clients there so they would entice them w/aromas & create more interest.

Maybe also put a display sign up with the candle just in case owners are too busy to be selling for you.

Doreen smileys/smiley1.gif smileys/smiley1.gif smileys/smiley1.gif smileys/smiley1.gif `

ezhobby
03-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Thank you Doreen. Very good suggestions there to follow-up. I have an acquaintance who runs a tanning salon in a good sized mall. I think she'll be the first I approach.

I also heard back from my sponsor, and she reminded me of a fourth option - Distributor option. Ah Hah!

Blessings ...

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1