WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Ladies! I Need Moral Support

Brandi
03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I know. I should just take the plunge, but something's holding me back. DH and I cleaned out our house a few weeks ago. I have four storage containers of stuff that I'd like to try in online auctions. I have some cool stuff - Waterford glasses that we've never used (wedding present), an infant seat, and other bigger items. I've been lurking here on the auction board and reading online. I don't know why I'm so worried about doing this, but I need some encouragement. How did you get up the nerve to get started?

Right now, I write as my main source of income. I really wanted to start diversifying this year, but this is so different from what I normally do.

Brandi

joyceb
03-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Brandi...Download Turbolister (http://pages.ebay.com/turbo_lister/)
from eBay (free) and get your pictures taken and sign up for PayPal (if
you haven't already), Make certain you get ID Verified if you are
a new eBay user as it will give you credibility.

Figure out your terms: Payment, shipping etc. and start putting it all
into Turbolister, it's done on your computer and you don't have to
upload the auctions until you want to.

Start with the things you least care about getting your money out of so
you can get your feedback built up to at least 10 and 20 is better
before you put up any expensive items. Give exceptional service and
make sure your terms include your Customer Service intentions (look at
some of the big sellers and see how they handle their terms,
descriptions etc.) Make sure you create a Me page as people like
to know a little about you.

By starting with Turbolister you can do all the work on your computer
and then when you feel the bravest you can upload one or all of them at
once (and it's not set in stone, you can edit on eBay if you make a
mistake or want to clarify something). All the information is
stored so all you have to do each time is to customize it for the next
listing.

As is often said in the business world. "just do it."

Good luck

Joyceb/danse

Brandi
03-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Joyce,

Thanks for that advice! I didn't even know about Turbolister. That's something I'll try. I talked to DH about it last night. He's all for it (of course - the possibility of more money coming in smileys/smiley36.gif), so I think that I'm going to go ahead and get started with it.

joyceb
03-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Best of luck Brandi...hint, once you get the first couple up and realize how simple it is, it's addictive....

Joyceb/danse

kidz_n_fashion
03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Brandi....think of it this way...What do you have to loose? You may sell some stuff that's been lying around your house but if nothing sells, you gain valuable experience. Good luck!

Christy

Kenna
03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Brandi,

You can do it! Once you get started it can be very addicting!

I need to get in gear now that the weather is starting to warm up and get some auctions going. Good luck and let us know how you do!

tinker
03-07-2006, 10:08 AM
If it's because you're feeling aprehensive about how to sell, just list 1 or 2 items. Actually, plan to list 1. A smaller, non-breakable item.Once you see how easy it is, the other stuff will follow. Also, you have a mountain (or 4 storage containers) of stuff to get rid of. That's overwhelming. Cleaning, taking goodpictures, writing descriptions, making you sure you have appropriate shipping boxes/packaging, etc. takes time. Just think of 1 item at a time. Don't plan to list 2 crates-full today & 2 tomorrow, that's too much to think about when you're just learning the ropes.

tripp72
03-08-2006, 01:09 AM
I teach people how to sell & buy on ebay in the local community education and as one-on-one. If you have any questions or if I can help in anyway, feel free to email me or PM me. My email is [email protected]

This board is so wonderful about helping people & all the wonderful info that I want to do my part to help you guys too.

Brandi
03-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, I've done it! I listed my first auctions tonight.

Thank you for all of the advice. I took in what everybody said and then thought about how to proceed.

Today I picked out 3 items. I listed one each on eBay, Yahoo, and Craig's List after DS went to bed tonight. I figured I'd try out the different ones and see what I like.

It took me forever to go through everything to list! I will definitely look into TurboLister if I start doing more auctions.

Anyway, thanks again. I guess I'll know in a week or so how it goes.

Brandi

tinker
03-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Congrats!! LOL, and now you're hooked....

Kenna
03-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Brandi, way to go. Also, try to list at least 8-10 items at a time so that you can drive people to "click" on your other auctions!

And yes, turbo lister will save you so much time. Also, after you get a few auctions going be sure to put a link in your signature line, you never know you may have WAHM bidding on your items!smileys/smiley1.gif

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1